qc8223

Teasdale Interview

http://www.mattalkonline.com/podcast/papower/teasdale-talks-life-in-iowa-plus-pennsylvanias-international-success-on-the-pa-power-podcast/

Very interesting interview from Teasdale. Far more candid than I would have expected about his recent struggles. Certainly no coach speak here. Has some interesting things to say about Cael too.

Skip to about 1:01.

Good interview - very open about everything - interesting what he implied about Cael in terms of hands on coaching. Weighing 140-145 but not on a good diet. Looks like he will see 133. Wonder if DeSanto wants to go up??

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Good interview - very open about everything - interesting what he implied about Cael in terms of hands on coaching. Weighing 140-145 but not on a good diet. Looks like he will see 133. Wonder if DeSanto wants to go up??

I don't take anything from his little side shots at PSU except that he's still got a bit of growing up to do. Plus he had his head in a fog during his PSU time, so that aspect of his comments are not very reliable.

There was simply no need for him to do that. Nobody thinking about Penn State is going to pay that any mind. The PSU guys that have stayed would claim the exact opposite, and they were more sober and fully invested.

Also, about the personal attention nonsense, your own eyes would tell you PSU does not coach like robots. Who would think Mark Hall wrestles the same way as Cenzo? Or Cassar the same way as Mike Beard. Nolf vs Zain. All of them are different. 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

I don’t think desanto would go up because it’s his spot until he loses it and I don’t see him losing to teasdale

13 hours ago, Wrestlingfan25 said:

I don’t think desanto would go up because it’s his spot until he loses it and I don’t see him losing to teasdale

I think Desanto's best weight is 133 - he is strong and has a good pace at that weight. He doesn't have to go up - so with that being said I agree - I don't see Teasdale taking that spot. Of course anything could happen - he could go down with an injury then Iowa is sitting pretty good depth wise. He said several times he had a hard time making 125 but at the same time said he didn't handle the cut, his diet and his personal life very well in order to make the weight. If Lee went down with an injury (history says it's very possible) I could at least see him trying to make the weight. If he doesn't start at Iowa but  it's a good "life fit" for Teasdale, then good for him. 

Pot shots (pun intended) on the way out always reflect poorly on the one taking them.  

From the rest of what he said though, it sounds like he's done some self-reflection and has his head on straight at the moment.  Hope he does well.  If he starts winning... he'll be an interesting one to watch.  

23 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Pot shots (pun intended) on the way out always reflect poorly on the one taking them.  

I do question Caels choices in this situation though. Teasdale said he left school to go to rehab, couldn't find out how to organize his time, and Caels answer was to have him wrestle at the Southern Scuffle and take him out of redshirt? I admittedly do not know the whole story, but that doesnt seem to be in the kids best interest.

Teasdale's Flo comment "I need a hands-on type of coach that’s there for you through the thick and thin, and that cares about you not just on the mat but cares about you as a man." seems to typify Sanderson's selfishness. 

You may remember that Cael killed the National Duals because his career dual record of 14-16-1 versus the Big Three (Minny, Iowa, Okie St) revealed a fatal coaching flaw. 

1 hour ago, Scorenomore said:

I didn’t hear him mention wrestling Desanto on the interview.  Several times he mentioned Lee, Clark and Gillman.  Wonder if that means a wrestle off for 133?

They have some flexibility there with Desanto still having his redshirt. If he loses the spot, he redshirts and bulks for 141 (which is where he wanted to be before the transfer anyway according to his interviews).

Well best of luck to Gavin, hopefully he finds success and happiness in this new environment. I have no idea about where he might fit into the lineup, but as I was typing this I thought one possible option might be that Spencer takes an Olympic Red Shirt next year and Gavin makes the cut to 125. But as I think about it further, I think that is probably unlikely. If Penn St. Is projected to have a rebuilding year, I would think TnT, will want to do everything they can to win the title next year, and I don't see how they will be able to do that without Spencer in the lineup. 

2 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

I didn’t hear him mention wrestling Desanto on the interview.  Several times he mentioned Lee, Clark and Gillman.  Wonder if that means a wrestle off for 133?

Maybe he doesn’t consider him a challenge in the room and only mentioned people that give him trouble.

6 hours ago, jammen said:

Teasdale's Flo comment "I need a hands-on type of coach that’s there for you through the thick and thin, and that cares about you not just on the mat but cares about you as a man." seems to typify Sanderson's selfishness. 

You may remember that Cael killed the National Duals because his career dual record of 14-16-1 versus the Big Three (Minny, Iowa, Okie St) revealed a fatal coaching flaw. 

That is how it is for PSU lightweights.  Cunningham is a hands on guy from 157 up and it shows.

How does Tbar go from propping ip Teasdale in one post but then goes in full PSU recruiting propaganda zone in the next?

Hey Tbar. Prospective recruits do not read this forum.

Ya'know when Bubba Jenkins left PSU it turned out to be a win-win. Bubba got the fit he needed to prosper and win a championship, Cael maintained the team discipline and focus that helpef his wrestlers to win multiple team and individual championships. Hopefully it works out well for Teasdale too, but he has a more difficult path to travel than Bubba in terms of how far he has to go to make it a win for himself.

Given Cael's results, questioning his judgement and approach is more wishful than substantive thinking .... But that's what forums are for!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

Given Cael's results, questioning his judgement and approach is more wishful than substantive thinking 

I'm not questioning his ability to win. I am questioning his ability to handle a kid who doesnt keep the straight and narrow. 

Edited by russelscout

1 hour ago, Boompa said:

How does Tbar go from propping ip Teasdale in one post but then goes in full PSU recruiting propaganda zone in the next?

Hey Tbar. Prospective recruits do not read this forum.

The fact you think I believe that says more about your own agenda than anything else. I just gave my point of view. Why that triggers you I have no idea. 

I'm not questioning his ability to win. I am questioning his ability to handle a kid who doesnt keep the straight and narrow. 
Q: How did Carl handle the Andrew Long transfer?

A: Immediate second semester eligibility.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I just think it wasn't a good match between him and the coaching staff. He clearly needs very hands on influence from his coaches and it sounds like Cael gives his guys more room to make their own choices. If you're not good at making those choices and organizing your life, that can be disastrous, but it can also be addressed by a more hands on approach. I think Teasdale needs more of a father figure like a Terry Brands to stay on him and keep him on the right path and give him some tough love when he strays.

I'm not sure that reflects poorly on the PSU coaching staff. Just a poor fit and something recruits should keep in mind as well. Coaching style fit is very important. I feel like Suriano is another guy that needs more personal attention, albeit for different reasons than Teasdale, and Cael didn't give that to him which led to issues down the road.

Possibly, but so far Cael seems to handle his kids ok based on evidence I've seen (no first hand or extensive knowledge though).

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/4/29/five-lion-wrestling-all-americans-earn-first-team-national-all-academic-laurels.aspx

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/20816

He's had failures also, but I don't see any egregious trends. Pretty typical compared to other programs and coaches as far as I can tell.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk