Jump to content
qc8223

Teasdale Interview

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

Possibly, but so far Cael seems to handle his kids ok based on evidence I've seen (no first hand or extensive knowledge though).

https://gopsusports.com/news/2019/4/29/five-lion-wrestling-all-americans-earn-first-team-national-all-academic-laurels.aspx

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/20816

He's had failures also, but I don't see any egregious trends. Pretty typical compared to other programs and coaches as far as I can tell.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
 

Kids with obvious issues get pushed to be on the mat immediately. Teasdale is in a bad enough situation to leave school and go to rehab, but he is ready to step out of redshirt and onto varsity? Andrew Long had obvious problems, was kicked out of school and got an immediate starting spot with Cael when Andrew really needed help. These situations really aren't that typical. It is good that Teasdale found a place that will work with him to develop on multiple levels. PSU treated him and Long like they were expendable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Andrew Long was a great collegiate wrestler, and it's to bad that someone(s), or something could've gotten him to change his behavior. Hopefully conversations like this helps families, friends, fellow wrestlers, and coaches recognize potential behavior issues in time to get the individual the help/care that they need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Kids with obvious issues get pushed to be on the mat immediately. Teasdale is in a bad enough situation to leave school and go to rehab, but he is ready to step out of redshirt and onto varsity? Andrew Long had obvious problems, was kicked out of school and got an immediate starting spot with Cael when Andrew really needed help. These situations really aren't that typical. It is good that Teasdale found a place that will work with him to develop on multiple levels. PSU treated him and Long like they were expendable.

Teasdale went to rehab for weed? What a joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kids with obvious issues get pushed to be on the mat immediately. Teasdale is in a bad enough situation to leave school and go to rehab, but he is ready to step out of redshirt and onto varsity? Andrew Long had obvious problems, was kicked out of school and got an immediate starting spot with Cael when Andrew really needed help. These situations really aren't that typical. It is good that Teasdale found a place that will work with him to develop on multiple levels. PSU treated him and Long like they were expendable.

"PSU treated him and Long like they were expendable" - A 20/20 hindsight based solely on bad outcomes. You probably have no clue as to inadequacies regarding professional counseling, academic tutoring, mentoring, parental consultations offered and received in those cases and unless you do any "expendable" allegation is baseless and wrongheaded.   

Also, people offering kids chances when there is no surety of success is a good thing .... Coaches don't offer chances because kids are expendable, they offer chances so a kid can save himself. Long didn't, it's on him not the people who tried to help him.

 

As far as Teasdale turning it around, we shall see. But if he crashes and burns, I won't blame TnT or Iowa.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 8:10 PM, TBar1977 said:

 

There was simply no need for him to do that. Nobody thinking about Penn State is going to pay that any mind.

BWI seems to care.  Their thread is longer than HR’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, swoopdown said:

PSU treated him and Long like they were expendable" - A 20/20 hindsight based solely on bad outcomes. You probably have no clue as to inadequacies regarding professional counseling, academic tutoring, mentoring, parental consultations offered and received in those cases and unless you do any "expendable" allegation is baseless and wrongheaded.

I have no clue as to inadequacies offered and recieved? What? First of all, that wording is confusing as hell. Second, do you know about inadequacies offered and recieved? You just listed a bunch of services. It is a bit misleading if none of those were actually provided.

 

8 hours ago, swoopdown said:

Also, people offering kids chances when there is no surety of success is a good thing .... Coaches don't offer chances because kids are expendable, they offer chances so a kid can save himself. Long didn't, it's on him not the people who tried to help him.

Andrew Long had a chance to get his crap together and wrestle at ISU again. Kevin Jackson wanted Andrew to get his drinking resolved before he saw the mat, but instead Cael decided fixing those drinking problems wasn't near as important as Cael winning a title. He swooped in, brought him to Happy Valley and the rest is history.

ex·pend·a·ble
/ikˈspendəb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. of little significance when compared to an overall purpose, and therefore able to be abandoned.

Seems pretty fitting to me. And Gavin? Well, seems like a pretty similar situation. Needing a 125 lber trumps a kid needing guidance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iowa fans at it again, thinking they have the high ground in these discussions. Lets see, you just had a guy shoot a teammate and he was wrestling the the first semester, competing for a starting spot. DeSanto tried to break another guys arm, was kicked off his former team for his conduct and was immediately inserted into the lineup; how many penalty points did he have this past season? How about the guy that plead guilty to theft and was in the starting lineup opening day for that big outdoor event against OSU? ...and of course, an oldie but goodie, Montell Marion's permanent suspension that lasted one semester, the same amount of time Long sat out.

Is that enough?? Or should we get into all of Iowa's DUIs, Public Drunkenness, Disorderly Conducts and Gun Charges that didn't result in a single suspension.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Flying-Tiger said:

Iowa fans at it again, thinking they have the high ground in these discussions. Lets see, you just had a guy shoot a teammate and he was wrestling the the first semester, competing for a starting spot. DeSanto tried to break another guys arm, was kicked off his former team for his conduct and was immediately inserted into the lineup; how many penalty points did he have this past season? How about the guy that plead guilty to theft and was in the starting lineup opening day for that big outdoor event against OSU? ...and of course, an oldie but goodie, Montell Marion's permanent suspension that lasted one semester, the same amount of time Long sat out.

Is that enough?? Or should we get into all of Iowa's DUIs, Public Drunkenness, Disorderly Conducts and Gun Charges that didn't result in a single suspension.  

I didnt see where Desanto was kicked off the team. Sources? However, all these things are true to a degree. I'm not gonna argue every small thing as I havent brought up every small thing about PSU... but Long ended up in Prison, right? You really want to compare a DUI on a moped with Marion to a rape charge with Long? I realize that is your go to arguement every time someone brings up Caels mistakes FlyingTiger but frankly, it's not a good one.

You can pull a whataboutBrands all day long. When it comes to Cael, his lack of intervention at least played a part in enabling Andrew Longs behavior which led to what it did. I mean, is anyone surprised to hear Teasdale say what he did? It's pretty consistent with what we knew all along. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long didn't wrestle for PSU after the rape charge so comparing it to Marion riding a moped drunk is disingenuous and shows you really can't refute what I said. You want to call someone out for that, look for a coach back in Iowa.

The rap sheet under Brands is long and growing with almost no discipline (or intervention as you call it) for his wrestlers, so yes it is an excellent way to refute the duplicitous Iowa fans that continue to bring up a guy that hasn't wrestled for PSU since 2011. Maybe if Brands took his wrestlers (and coach's) previous gun charges more serious, he wouldn't of had to deal with one of his guys getting shot by a teammate.

You don't have the higher ground here, it's not even close at this point. Iowa has annual off the mat issues with their wrestlers and has become a destination for transfers of guys with baggage in a desperate attempt to keep up with PSU and tOSU. You can say Andrew Long until you are blue in the face, isn't going to change that. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew Long had a chance to get his crap together and wrestle at ISU again. Kevin Jackson wanted Andrew to get his drinking resolved before he saw the mat, but instead Cael decided fixing those drinking problems wasn't near as important as Cael winning a title. He swooped in, brought him to Happy Valley and the rest is history.

ex·pend·a·ble /ikˈspendəb(ə)l/ adjective

  1. of little significance when compared to an overall purpose, and therefore able to be abandoned.
Seems pretty fitting to me. And Gavin? Well, seems like a pretty similar situation. Needing a 125 lber trumps a kid needing guidance. 

You're the one making allegations and assailing Cael's character, you're the one who should offer proof. Otherwise don't be surprised if fair-minded people shoot holes through your speculations.

 

Sorry you're confused about that concept.

 

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swoopdown said:

You're the one making allegations and assailing Cael's character, you're the one who should offer proof. Otherwise don't be surprised if fair-minded people shoot holes through your speculations.

 

Sorry you're confused about that concept.

 

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Didnt I make a claim and then back it up with examples for why they were bad calls? I am only confused by you because your English isn't great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Didnt I make a claim and then back it up with examples for why they were bad calls? I am only confused by you because your English isn't great.
No. You listed some outcomes and made a giant unsupported leap to character assassination.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swoopdown said:

No. You listed some outcomes and made a giant unsupported leap to character assassination.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
 

Haha ok bud. They were outcomes that were a direct result of the choices Cael made. Maybe you can point out where I made this giant unsupported leap? Feel free to use the quote function. 

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flying-Tiger said:

Long didn't wrestle for PSU after the rape charge so comparing it to Marion riding a moped drunk is disingenuous and shows you really can't refute what I said. You want to call someone out for that, look for a coach back in Iowa.

Long shouldn't have wrestled in the first place. It had been common knowledge the kid had issues. Knowing that, I dont know why we should give Cael a pat on the back for kicking him off the team. He should have done something sooner and that is the issue. If anything he enabled his behavior. You're going to bash Brands for making efforts to rehabilitate a kid and celebrate Cael for treating a kid like he is expendable? That's some real backwards thinking right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flying-Tiger said:

 

The rap sheet under Brands is long and growing with almost no discipline (or intervention as you call it) for his wrestlers, so yes it is an excellent way to refute the duplicitous Iowa fans that continue to bring up a guy that hasn't wrestled for PSU since 2011. Maybe if Brands took his wrestlers (and coach's) previous gun charges more serious, he wouldn't of had to deal with one of his guys getting shot by a teammate.

Yeah, Long hasn't been involved at PSU since 2011, because he went to prison! Do you not see the difference between rape and a gun accident? You really trying to compare the two as equals? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Flying-Tiger said:

You don't have the higher ground here, it's not even close at this point. Iowa has annual off the mat issues with their wrestlers and has become a destination for transfers of guys with baggage in a desperate attempt to keep up with PSU and tOSU. You can say Andrew Long until you are blue in the face, isn't going to change that. 

You know what the difference between guys with baggage that come to Iowa and the ones that come to PSU? At Iowa they dont wrestle if they dont get their crap together (Downey) and if they do you can see the change has been positive(Desanto). PSU doesnt seem to take any kinds of precautions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Haha ok bud. They were outcomes that were a direct result of the choices Cael made. Maybe you can point out where I made this giant unsupported leap? Feel free to use the quote function. 
Wrong. They were outcomes that were a direct result of the choices the wrestlers made. You don't understand that and you have trouble with English. Regurgitating examples of your faulty logic would serve no useful purpose. I'm climbing out of your gutter and won't descend again bud.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, swoopdown said:

Wrong. They were outcomes that were a direct result of the choices the wrestlers made. You don't understand that and you have trouble with English. Regurgitating examples of your faulty logic would serve no useful purpose. I'm climbing out of your gutter and won't descend again bud.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
 

Oh, Cael didnt have any say in who wrestles in his lineup? When Long came from ISU and started him right away, that was all Long? Where was Cael? I thought he would be involved in some way.

2 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

Regurgitating examples of your faulty logic would serve no useful purpose.

I dont think you have any examples :0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyways, looking forward to see what happens with Teasdale here. I tend to think Iowa is better with Desanto at 33 and Murin at 41 this year. Max was coming on late last year and Desanto IMO is the only one who can place at the stacked 33 lb class unless Teasdale is really looking THAT good. I just hope the weights are settled BEFORE the season starts.

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Anyways, looking forward to see what happens with Teasdale here. I tend to think Iowa is better with Desanto at 33 and Murin at 41 this year. Max was coming on late last year. Desanto IMO is the only one who can place at the stacked 33 lb class unless Teasdale is really looking THAT good. I just hope the weights are settled BEFORE the season starts.

How much more nothing could you squeeze into a post....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

How much more nothing could you squeeze into a post....

...and really, I think there is plenty to discuss there in my post. You think what I said was blatantly obvious? Or foolish? Should Iowa try to get a Teasedale in the lineup or not? Do you have a stance because your post was actually not about the topic in any way at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, russelscout said:

...and really, I think there is plenty to discuss there in my post. You think what I said was blatantly obvious? Or foolish? Should Iowa try to get a Teasedale in the lineup or not? Do you have a stance because your post was actually not about the topic in any way at all. 

If Teasdale can crack the line up they will put him out there. Stop with your delusions. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

If Teasdale can crack the line up they will put him out there. Stop with your delusions. 

 

Haha delusions? I tell ya what, I'm sure I struck a nerve with ya'll. I'm out of this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Haha delusions? I tell ya what, I'm sure I struck a nerve with ya'll. I'm out of this thread.

You know what, you are just a hater in this thread. An obnoxious one at that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...