With all the crying about Yanni and Dake working the system, I beginning to understand why many dislike the Cornell program. 2 years ago after a Cornell wrestler was interviewed after placing at the Nationals and speaking about his future, he essentially said I’ll be fine because I went to Cornell. 

3 hours ago, gowrestle said:

With all the crying about Yanni and Dake working the system, I beginning to understand why many dislike the Cornell program. 2 years ago after a Cornell wrestler was interviewed after placing at the Nationals and speaking about his future, he essentially said I’ll be fine because I went to Cornell. 

I think the students there tell each other that they have already won at life, even though they have no idea what they're talking about. Part of the reason they do this is they have bought into Cornell's marketing. I wouldn't hold it against a college student for being ignorant about life.

It's a great school and, in my personal dealings with him, Koll is a solid guy.  The kids in the program seem to take academics seriously (even a moonshot like Palacio) and the program has produced some great competitors.  If I have a problem with something at Cornell, it's the whole Finger Lakes/grayshirt situation.  Have personally never liked the odor of that.

1 hour ago, Katie said:

I think the students there tell each other that they have already won at life, even though they have no idea what they're talking about. Part of the reason they do this is they have bought into Cornell's marketing. I wouldn't hold it against a college student for being ignorant about life.

I would be stunned if they were not ignorant.

Edited by ConnorsDad
Spell

2 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

I think many would be surprised how mediocre of a student you have to be with the soft Academic Index standards

I think there is an agricultural school affiliated with New York State where most of the athletes enroll. Not that there is anything wrong with that but those standards are atypical of a mainstream Ivy League education. 

17 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I would be stunned if they were not ignorant.

In fairness, most college kids don't have much experience at supporting themselves in the real world. They think its easy, so this isn't limited to the snowflakes at Cornell.

I saw one of those shows where college kids get asked questions. A Cornell student was asked what the national debt was and she replied $200 million at a time when it was $18 Trillion. You would have to multiply $200 million by 90,000 to get to $18 Trillion. This is a lot of what these Snowflake colleges are putting out these days. 

In fairness, most college kids don't have much experience at supporting themselves in the real world. They think its easy, so this isn't limited to the snowflakes at Cornell.
I saw one of those shows where college kids get asked questions. A Cornell student was asked what the national debt was and she replied $200 million at a time when it was $18 Trillion. You would have to multiply $200 million by 90,000 to get to $18 Trillion. This is a lot of what these Snowflake colleges are putting out these days. 
The communist Phd's are the problem with higher education. They are the ones who brainwash the kids into snowflakes.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

The communist Phd's are the problem with higher education. They are the ones who brainwash the kids into snowflakes.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

They aren't all commies at Cornell. You can know this because a whopping 3 percent of their political donations went to Republicans, so only 97% of them are commies. 

29 minutes ago, tbert said:

Got to be an elite college graduating geniuses such as Oberman and Maher.  

Those are some really smart guys.

I guess that Penn would rank right up there, too, given our current President.

18 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Oh I agree. I wasn't confining my answer to Cornell grads. My son will be a freshman this fall in college and while he's a smart kid he's a dumbass as far as the world is concerned. But he sure can play video games. Christ Almighty!

I can understand the questioning of the Dake thing, but don’t really agree with the level of backlash over it. The reality of it is the guy hasn’t competed for a year, coming off an injury....having a few matches in before competing for the right to defend his world title...is what I would hope we would want for our athletes, regardless of their name or where they went to school. This whole lawsuit thing has not been substantiated at all, so I won’t give any weight to that until it is. Koll, whether you’re talking about the Yanni or Dake scenarios....his job is to fight for his athletes tooth and nail. Anyone who has a problem with that doesn’t respect and/or has no real understanding of the profession. And finally why anyone would think Yanni competing at Dogu even approaches a sniff of an issue, I have no idea. 

55 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

My only point is that it’s not 1965 anymore. Simply having a degree from a school people have heard of gets you precious little these days. 

Much more important are specific skills you bring to the table (including graduate degrees), family connections, and — in some fields at least — the financial ability to pursue internships early on.