A good friend of mine told me that, based on first-hand conversation with some NLWC, they thought Nolf would have or at least definitely could have beat James Green for the 70 kg spot. This got me thinking. I think that they knew it was very unlikely that Nolf would get past both IMar and JB. Given that, why do you all think that Nolf basically chose not to make the World Team this year at 70? Obviously, wrestling IMar (and potentially JB) and wrestling at the Olympic weight are valuable experiences. But making the World Team would seem to have really significant upsides - even helping him prepare for the 74 trials next year. And just the life experience of making a world team - possibly medaling. I guess I'm just very surprised by Nolf/NLWC's decision now and would love to hear other's perspectives on this.

My best guesses are a combination of:

(1) Nolf had just had a long college season and so making the world team wasn't as attractive as it may seem.

(2) And/or Nolf may not have been perfectly healthy - so they figured just do your best at 74, get the Imar/JB/weight experience - then get healthy after trials.

(3) And/or the weight cut was tougher than it seemed.

(4) And/or they over-estimated Nolf's chances against IMar/JB. (Personally, I believe this is less likely based on conversations.)

Those are my best guesses, do others have thoughts?

14 minutes ago, RJChicago said:

A good friend of mine told me that, based on first-hand conversation with some NLWC, they thought Nolf would have or at least definitely could have beat James Green for the 70 kg spot. This got me thinking. I think that they knew it was very unlikely that Nolf would get past both IMar and JB. Given that, why do you all think that Nolf basically chose not to make the World Team this year at 70? Obviously, wrestling IMar (and potentially JB) and wrestling at the Olympic weight are valuable experiences. But making the World Team would seem to have really significant upsides - even helping him prepare for the 74 trials next year. And just the life experience of making a world team - possibly medaling. I guess I'm just very surprised by Nolf/NLWC's decision now and would love to hear other's perspectives on this.

My best guesses are a combination of:

(1) Nolf had just had a long college season and so making the world team wasn't as attractive as it may seem.

(2) And/or Nolf may not have been perfectly healthy - so they figured just do your best at 74, get the Imar/JB/weight experience - then get healthy after trials.

(3) And/or the weight cut was tougher than it seemed.

(4) And/or they over-estimated Nolf's chances against IMar/JB. (Personally, I believe this is less likely based on conversations.)

Those are my best guesses, do others have thoughts?

Didn't he finish 3rd overall at 74Kg, thus earning him a spot as a travel team member? Meaning he gets to practice and travel with the team? Maybe he felt since his future was at 74Kg anyway, why not start to acclimate to it now. Also, maybe after 4 years at 157 he just felt he could no longer make the lower weight. 

Edited by TBar1977

maybe he thinks you have to wrestle them so many times before you can beat them and that he wanted to get an early start.

also, being on the team as the #3 guy will make it easy to learn their secrets etc...

It is curious. I was hoping they would give a reason, but Cael doesn’t do that. Granted, I won’t question his judgement when it comes to wrestling. Seems like a poor decision both at the time and now looking back. It went almost exactly as expected - Nolf beats everyone, then has close matches with iMar. I thought he would beat iMar but it was a toss up at best. 

I agree it seems like Nolf and Bo both gave up a good shot at a world team and possibly a medal by choosing to go up in weight instead of what seemed like a manageable cut. Nolf’s actually seems a little less crazy to me because it is feasible that 154 was really tough for him. I thought he looked big at 157. Plus 74 is the Olympic weight so some use the argument that he is getting acclimated to it (personally I don’t really buy that). However, Bo not going to 86 after Taylor is hurt just seems crazy to me. 

4 hours ago, GockeS said:

maybe he thinks you have to wrestle them so many times before you can beat them and that he wanted to get an early start.

also, being on the team as the #3 guy will make it easy to learn their secrets etc...

70 and 74 kg guys wrestle each other in practice too so that can't be the reason. 

Just a guess, but I think he was going all-in on 74kg to position himself favorably for an OTT bye next year. It was a moonshot gamble, but I respect him for taking the risk and giving it a go. We all got a treat seeing him vs. IMar at trials.

Or maybe Nolf did it because he was tired of watching his weight after a long college season and wanted to eat, lol.