BobDole

LeRoy Smith and Randy Lewis Controversy

17 hours ago, Fishbane said:

Akaishi was 4th at the 88 Olympics too losing to Nate Carr in the bronze medal match 5-1. 

I had tried looking up Dellagatta on the UWW database when I was looking up Akaishi and nothing came up.  There was a Rick Dellegatta who competed in the 1981 World Cup representing Canada at 57kg.  I didn't think that was the same person; Last name is spelled different, different country, different weight (Dellagatta wrestled NCAAs at 134 in 1981), but Beloglasov was at his weight in that World Cup. There were no results for Burley in the UWW database either.  I think any of the 4 would have won a medal, possibly gold.

think uww has that one listed incorrectly. for some reason I can't get it to link right this sec, but google Dellagatta wrestling and you'll find a video of he and Sergei wrestling in the '81 world cup. it appears that he is representing the USA. Sergei wins this one but in the description of the video, it says he lost to Ricky the week before. 

This is the video referenced above of the 1982 world cup match.  The announcer says Beloglasov won 7-1.  Dellagatta's lone point came on a late spin behind TD.

The UWW database hasd Beloglasov as the top ranked wrestler from the world cup that year.  Rick Dellegatta from Canada was #3.  Nyamdabla Ganbataar was second.  Not sure if that means Dellagatta lost to him too or not.

Wow after finally watching this Video there is no question...The only one that got screwed was Randy Lewis.  Never should have been protested and even so, the video clearly shows 2, 1 for Lewis then a 1 for Smith.  What they scored it after the Smith Protest was Lewis 2 &1 and then they gave Smith 2 & 1,   Which is impossible, it's either 1 or 2 but not both 2&1.  Lewis would have won an 8-8 tie.  In fact you could almost score it 2,2 for Lewis and 1 for Smith.  At the very worst it would be 2 Lewis 1 Smith.  In fact what they did was score it 2 Lewis and then 2 Smith and 1 Smith.  All those who blasted Gable should be ashamed of themselves.  

2 hours ago, JP158 said:

All those who blasted Gable should be ashamed of themselves.  

I completely understand why Gable got blasted for this.  He was the national team coach and this was a wrestle off for the national/Olympic team.  They were both supposed to be his guys.  He isn't Rob Koll in this Zain-Yianni controversy.  He's Bill Zadick.  One name I haven't heard come up with an opinion in Yianni-Zain, Dieringer-Dake, Gilman-Fix, or any other controversies this cycle is Zadick.  That's a good thing.  Zadick has nothing to do with any of it. 

Gable had said that he was only doing what he thought was right and that he would have done the same thing for Smith.  I can understand him thinking 2R, 1R, 1B was the correct scoring, but I have a hard time believing he would have fought the same way for Smith.  Maybe if you take the same situation and replace Smith with Dellagatta and Lewis with Smith then I believe he would have made his opinion known either in the protest meeting or possibly even publicly thereafter that there is no way the blue wrestler could have been awarded 2 and 1 on that sequence, but I doubt he would have put in the effort that he did for Lewis hunting down alternate video footage and such.  If the situation were completely reversed and it was Lewis in on a high crotch with Smith crotch lifting and turning him I just don't believe he would have hunted down more video to try and over turn a call Lewis was benefiting from and I don't think he would have voiced his opinion either to the protest committee or publicly with Lewis's Olympic spot on the line.  

I don't know which video referenced in the AWN article, if any, is the one on YouTube.  Smith Sr. says there were three videos.  The one used by the protest committee, a second one obtained from another coach by Gable and brought the protest committee that day (Smith says this one more clearly shows that it's 2 for Lee Roy), and a third one shown at arbitration and initially presented by Gable as the second video viewed by the protest committee, but later acknowledged to be a different video. 

When us old fogies were growing up, we were supposed to respect the ref's decision and move on- right or wrong.

USA Wrestling opened the door with the protest committee. True- FILA had already allowed the backroom refereeing- see Calgary World Championships-but by continuing this practice in our own tournaments has resulted in the styrofoam blocks/stuffed animal protests we see stopping action in almost every international style bout ( and now in the NCAA sanctioned matches).

I guess the stakes are so high these days and dollar driven that its the unfortunate way that amateur athletics has gone. 

On 7/12/2019 at 10:12 PM, Rhackler said:

So even giving the extra point to Smith, the match ends tied and Lewis wins on criteria?  

Can't really see how this is a screw job.  Now Lindland-Sieracki is another story...

Its a screw job because a: the extra point should never have been awarded b: Lewis wins on criteria anyway and c: even when you win a court case, you still feel like you've just been gutted

On 7/9/2019 at 6:07 PM, Fishbane said:

I completely understand why Gable got blasted for this.  He was the national team coach and this was a wrestle off for the national/Olympic team.  They were both supposed to be his guys.  He isn't Rob Koll in this Zain-Yianni controversy.  He's Bill Zadick.  One name I haven't heard come up with an opinion in Yianni-Zain, Dieringer-Dake, Gilman-Fix, or any other controversies this cycle is Zadick.  That's a good thing.  Zadick has nothing to do with any of it. 

Gable had said that he was only doing what he thought was right and that he would have done the same thing for Smith.  I can understand him thinking 2R, 1R, 1B was the correct scoring, but I have a hard time believing he would have fought the same way for Smith.  Maybe if you take the same situation and replace Smith with Dellagatta and Lewis with Smith then I believe he would have made his opinion known either in the protest meeting or possibly even publicly thereafter that there is no way the blue wrestler could have been awarded 2 and 1 on that sequence, but I doubt he would have put in the effort that he did for Lewis hunting down alternate video footage and such.  If the situation were completely reversed and it was Lewis in on a high crotch with Smith crotch lifting and turning him I just don't believe he would have hunted down more video to try and over turn a call Lewis was benefiting from and I don't think he would have voiced his opinion either to the protest committee or publicly with Lewis's Olympic spot on the line.  

I don't know which video referenced in the AWN article, if any, is the one on YouTube.  Smith Sr. says there were three videos.  The one used by the protest committee, a second one obtained from another coach by Gable and brought the protest committee that day (Smith says this one more clearly shows that it's 2 for Lee Roy), and a third one shown at arbitration and initially presented by Gable as the second video viewed by the protest committee, but later acknowledged to be a different video. 

Very different organization in 1984.

There was no "national team coach" in 1984 (to my knowledge).  Zadick is the national team coach now... he is the CEO of our freestyle program.  It is a full time job.  Probably difficult to play favorites.

Gable was the "Olympic Team coach."  That is a one year thing.  Gable treated it as a full time job, with a one year term limit.  Much easier to let his emotions/favoritism get the best of him.