WillieBoy

When does Iowa State overtake the Squawkeyes?

43 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Thank you. People must be hitting the Everclear today. Also, is there anybody, let's make that any non Penn State hater, who actually thinks that somebody in the college ranks would do a better job with his talent than Cael does? Yea, me neither.

I wouldn't bet against Cael, but a few guy's that I would consider who may be right there and make it interesting would be Mark Branch, Brian Smith, and Dresser. All 3 of them have done A lot with the level of guy's that they get in their development.  If they had a cuboard of bluechips it would be interesting to see what they could do.  Still to say that a coach can win that many titles evev with a cuboard of bluechips you would have to refer to John Smith or Gable.  Caels teams have been impressive. Great recruits don't pan out at programs a lot of times.  Cael seems to consitantly develop them.  Still I think the 3 mentioned earlier would be able to develop them also. 

9 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Thank you. People must be hitting the Everclear today. Also, is there anybody, let's make that any non Penn State hater, who actually thinks that somebody in the college ranks would do a better job with his talent than Cael does? Yea, me neither.

I’m not a Cael / PSU hater by no means. I actually respect their program and what he’s built. But he’s gray shirting blue chippers due the the depth which is remarkable and mind blowing at the same time. 

With his roster, I could take a “wrestling coaching 101” books for dummies and win a natty title. He built a dynasty and it’s very impressive mainly due to recruits. Whereas others do a better job at development such as Pop, Kholl, KD, Robie and others

6 hours ago, Creek chub said:

I’m not a Cael / PSU hater by no means. I actually respect their program and what he’s built. But he’s gray shirting blue chippers due the the depth which is remarkable and mind blowing at the same time. 

With his roster, I could take a “wrestling coaching 101” books for dummies and win a natty title. He built a dynasty and it’s very impressive mainly due to recruits. Whereas others do a better job at development such as Pop, Kholl, KD, Robie and others

I tend to disagree there as well. A lot of these guys who won multiple national titles may not have done so had they had they gone to other schools. We'll never know but the world is littered with people who are just as good as Nolf, Hall, Retherford who went to places and never panned out. Sometimes it can be just as hard to coach the superstars as it can be to coach the average wrestler.

24 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I tend to disagree there as well. A lot of these guys who won multiple national titles may not have done so had they had they gone to other schools. We'll never know but the world is littered with people who are just as good as Nolf, Hall, Retherford who went to places and never panned out. Sometimes it can be just as hard to coach the superstars as it can be to coach the average wrestler.

Good points. I wish VT had PSU on their schedule again. Awesome duals even though we lost. Cael gave props to us as a team and I respected that

On 7/6/2019 at 10:12 AM, boconnell said:

That's because he's too good of a coach to have to operate with an empty cupboard.  If Dresser was a Cael level coach he'd go get a job with a more full cupboard. 

Thats not true at all. Cael got to start at the top because he is the most famous american wrestler ever. 

6 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Thats not true at all. Cael got to start at the top because he is the most famous american wrestler ever. 

This aspect cannot be ignored.  To be clear, he IS the best overall current head coach by a significant margin.  Hell, he is making an argument to challenge even Gable.  Still, his fame, much like Gable's put him at the forefront of recruiting right from the start.

To be fair, coaches like Dresser, Brands, Smith, Ryan and even guys like Pat Pop, Brian Smith or Tim Flynn would do exceptionally well if they were able to recruit like Sanderson.  That isn't to say that they would do as well as Sanderson(I don't thinky anyone can match what Sanderson has created overall at PSU), but a significant part of that gap is inarguably recruiting.

4 hours ago, MSU158 said:

This aspect cannot be ignored.  To be clear, he IS the best overall current head coach by a significant margin.  Hell, he is making an argument to challenge even Gable.  Still, his fame, much like Gable's put him at the forefront of recruiting right from the start.

To be fair, coaches like Dresser, Brands, Smith, Ryan and even guys like Pat Pop, Brian Smith or Tim Flynn would do exceptionally well if they were able to recruit like Sanderson.  That isn't to say that they would do as well as Sanderson(I don't thinky anyone can match what Sanderson has created overall at PSU), but a significant part of that gap is inarguably recruiting.

ISU was better after he took over and much worse when he left.  

PSU was way better after he took over and I can guarantee they'd be worse if he left.  

I can guarantee every one of the coaches you mentioned would make PSU worse if they took over, and I can guarantee every one of those overachieving schools would get better if Cael took over.  

So everyone can come up with reasons it's coaching but not really coaching, but nobody can deny that whatever you call it, Cael does it best.  And I don't say that to argue with you but to add to what you said.  

7 minutes ago, boconnell said:

ISU was better after he took over and much worse when he left.  

PSU was way better after he took over and I can guarantee they'd be worse if he left.  

I can guarantee every one of the coaches you mentioned would make PSU worse if they took over, and I can guarantee every one of those overachieving schools would get better if Cael took over.  

So everyone can come up with reasons it's coaching but not really coaching, but nobody can deny that whatever you call it, Cael does it best.  And I don't say that to argue with you but to add to what you said.  

I don’t disagree with anything you said here. The issue is with the empty cupboard comment. That is simply unfair when comparing ANY coach to Carl.  There are plenty of great coaches that cant start with a cupboard like Cael did no matter how they tried and couldn’t fill it like he can.  

Recruiting is a key aspect of coaching and Carl dominates it. But, transport him to Edinboro right now and even he would be hard pressed to fill that same cupboard halfway to what he has now.