WillieBoy

When does Iowa State overtake the Squawkeyes?

ISU is rebuilding a program that has been in disarray. Looking good and moving forward.

Iowa is pretty much stagnant - "content to settle for second place"...

All the Iowa talk without the performance is getting old.

Will ISU replace them as top dog in the State within the next three years?

No and it won't be for a long time and this year's duel will prove that point.  It won't be close.  Last year was a perfect storm and they still didn't pull it out.  One guy winning the match and he tears his ACL walking back to the mat was a 9 point swing alone....  Three guys wrestling with the flu... all three of them were told pre-match that they were not wrestling, Lee, DeSanto and Stoll and they all went, but were all sick.  On a normal night Lee techs Mackell, DeStanto crushed Gomez later in the year when healthy and we all know the story of Stoll.  If ISU couldn't win on that night, they are not going to win any time soon.  Kemmer is back this year and Iowa lost at 174 last year...  This year's dual will be a 20 point plus win for Iowa and it won't be close....  The hype train will be derailed with the exception of the typical blue sky marketing coming from the staff.  ISU is an improved program and that's good for wrestling, but they will only progress so far and then it will be status quo.   

As far as stagnant, FLO has Iowa on paper as #1 this year and that team is a young team, so they could be pre-season #1 the following year as well, so I don't see a stagnant program.  

Good question, but at the moment I think the Hawkeyes have the advantage with who they currently have in their stable, and I am sure the recent additional of Gavin Teasdale is only going to help that. Meanwhile Coach Dresser and staff is doing a very good job as well. This may seem like common knowledge, but the race between the Hawkeyes and Cyclones will probably always be decided by recruitment, development, and the ability to avoid the injury bug. 

Yes, I think the cyclones will likely claim state superiority within 3 more years. 

The hawks will probably continue to land more blue chip recruits than dresser but his recruiting is quickly closing the gap. Dresser built VT into a top 10 team built around a coupe studs but his knack is development. He took fringe guys like Yates and turned them into multi time AA’s. 

Every team dresser coached was successful. He landed at Grundy high school and elevated a small successful coal mining town’s team into a powerhouse. Then he took over Christiansburg high school which was a sub par team and went on to win 10 or so state titles under leadership plus they rose to around a top 10 national ranking. 

Then brands left VT in the dumps. KD comes in and they go from almost dead last at the NCAAs to getting a team trophy in about 10 years. 

I too wouldn’t be surprised if the brands boys are canned really soon and KD slides right into his alma mater as the new HC. With his track record, who wouldn’t want him at the helm of the hawks except the orange boys?

4 hours ago, VakAttack said:

They won't. The Brand is too strong. They my occasionally beat them in a dual, but sustained improvement past them is unlikely, especially with ISU's weaker conference affiliation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

yeah the weaker conference will save em.....

Sanderson couldn’t do it at ISU and you think Dresser can?  Ha ha ha.  ISU has a LONG ways to go to truly be competitive with Iowa, especially in March  

The Brands brothers aren’t going anywhere for a while unless they choose to.  The Iowa powers that be KNOW the current DI landscape and understand why PSU and tOSU are at the top. 

At this time, There simply is NOT a better fit at Iowa and that includes Dresser. Brands has them poised to win one over the next 2-3 years depending on redshirts. Time will tell. 

Sanderson probably would have done it, if he’d stayed there. He took PSU to a dynasty level so it’s not about the school but more sos bout the coach.

You may be right about the brands boys not getting their sacks cut and ran off. But I bet if they lose to KD and co a couple times, the chorus in carver might change their tune. 

Besides, I’d never bet against KD being successful. People laughed at him when he said he wanted to make VT into a wrestling powerhouse which had almost no wrestling support from the athletic department. Couple ISU’s wrestling tradition, financial backing and his disdain for the brands boys and I’m almost positive the Brands’ brand is unofficially on notice from the hawk’s executives 

Iowa will be too strong over the next two years however they will have a drop off in 2022 and that's the year ISU may pass them.

If Iowa doesn't win a championship in the next two years with the talent they have, Brands may in fact get fired. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

9 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Sanderson couldn’t do it at ISU and you think Dresser can?  Ha ha ha.  ISU has a LONG ways to go to truly be competitive with Iowa, especially in March  

Dresser might be a better coach than Cael. Dresser operates with an empty cupboard, Cael has never even considered that situation.

26 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Dresser might be a better coach than Cael. Dresser operates with an empty cupboard, Cael has never even considered that situation.

That's because he's too good of a coach to have to operate with an empty cupboard.  If Dresser was a Cael level coach he'd go get a job with a more full cupboard. 

I think Tiger has it summed up pretty well. If it does happen is will have to be after the 2020/21 season because Iowa is stacked with high level talent for the next two years. If they don't get it done in that time and ISU continues to rise I could very easily see some more momentum shift their way with recruits and the Iowa fan base may have officially had enough of team Brands (though I think they are a great fit at Iowa). I didn't realize until reading this thread that Iowa hasn't placed higher than 3rd in their last 8 attempts, I guess I assumed they would have pulled off a 2nd place finish somewhere in there.

3 hours ago, boconnell said:

Idiotic topic given far too much credence by people wishing it were so. 

Iowa's underachievement is higher than ISU's ceiling.  That's not changing.

Betcha a coke in a glass bottle that ISU beats the hawks in a dual no later than next season. 

3 hours ago, Creek chub said:

Betcha a coke in a glass bottle that ISU beats the hawks in a dual no later than next season. 

Do you equate that to overtaking them or are you just moving the goal posts to an achievable spot since you know they won't pass them at NCAAs any time soon?

26 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Do you equate that to overtaking them or are you just moving the goal posts to an achievable spot since you know they won't pass them at NCAAs any time soon?

I guess I didn’t really specify and my prediction was meant in fun but yes, I’d be pi$$ed if I was a hawk fan and ISU won a dual in carver arena. I personally like the dual format and the rivalry between traditional foes. I guess I may have moved the goal posts then in your eyes. Sorry. 

4 hours ago, Creek chub said:

I guess I didn’t really specify and my prediction was meant in fun but yes, I’d be pi$$ed if I was a hawk fan and ISU won a dual in carver arena. I personally like the dual format and the rivalry between traditional foes. I guess I may have moved the goal posts then in your eyes. Sorry. 

No apology necessary.  I didn't mean it like you did something wrong, just that it's a departure from the thread topic of 'taking over'.  

I think ISU is a long way from overtaking Iowa.  I think Iowa's underachieving is the ceiling of what ISU could ever hope to be.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:23 PM, hammerlockthree said:

Hum...they were within a hairs breadth already this year.....if Iowa decides to train until the whole lineup is injured again it's easily possible. 

As KTI explained near the top of the thread, the only reason they were a hair's breath away is because of illness, injury, etc. Giving brands propensity for resting people, it's even possible they could take a dual from them sometime in the next decade. However, the NCAA's is a whole 'nother matter.

12 hours ago, boconnell said:

Idiotic topic given far too much credence by people wishing it were so. 

Iowa's underachievement is higher than ISU's ceiling.  That's not changing.

12 hours ago, boconnell said:

That's because he's too good of a coach to have to operate with an empty cupboard.  If Dresser was a Cael level coach he'd go get a job with a more full cupboard. 

Thank you. People must be hitting the Everclear today. Also, is there anybody, let's make that any non Penn State hater, who actually thinks that somebody in the college ranks would do a better job with his talent than Cael does? Yea, me neither.