Sign in to follow this  
ConnorsDad

Programs Not Fully Funded

Other than the Ivy Leagues, does anybody have a list or know for sure of division 1 programs that are not fully funded? If so do you know how well-funded they are? I've heard rumors about several but I have no  first hand knowledge nor do I know of any way to get such  information. What about division 2? Are there a lot more division 2 programs that are not fully funded? Thanks in advance!

some of the Ivies are the most nicely funded programs in the sport and have rosters that pay less on average in tuition than other "fully funded" programs, despite not offering any athletic scholarships. Duke also notably doesn't offer scholarships, altho they, like the Ivies, have lots of non-athletic scholarships available. Maybe it's nitpicking but I think it's an important distinction given the crux of the issue. 

Cal-Bakersfield I believe has to privately fundraise their entire program's operating budget and scholarship money. 

good topic tho and I'd like to learn more myself. 

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:33 AM, Jaroslav Hasek said:

some of the Ivies are the most nicely funded programs in the sport and have rosters that pay less on average in tuition than other "fully funded" programs, despite not offering any athletic scholarships.

This is true but is often misunderstood.

It doesn't apply to high income families.

The Ivy doesn't provide any merit aid.  This means there are no academic scholarships in the ivy league.  All aid is based on financial need of the family.  So for lower income and middle income families (especially NY state residents for Cornell) they can pay less than they would to wrestle for a fully-funded program, but it has nothing to do with wrestling.  They get that same deal, even if they don't wrestle. 

This also applies to Stanford, which allows their lack of funding to go further than it otherwise would.   

Did you mean no athletic scholarships in the Ivies? You wrote academic. In the case of Ivies, both are true (no scholarships of any kind other than need-based). But Stanford definitely offers athletic scholarships and also has the benefit of need-based aid for athletic programs (like Ivies), a double whammy, so to speak.

10 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Did you mean no athletic scholarships in the Ivies? You wrote academic. In the case of Ivies, both are true (no scholarships of any kind other than need-based). But Stanford definitely offers athletic scholarships and also has the benefit of need-based aid for athletic programs (like Ivies), a double whammy, so to speak.

I assumed since the previous discussion was about the lack of athletic scholarships in the Ivy that it was understood. So I added that financial aid in the Ivy is all based on need.  You don’t get scholarships from Ivy League schools for “being smart” you get them for being poor (or less well off than the study body as a whole).

Stanford offers scholarships but is not fully funded. They offer great financial aid, like the Ivy schools do. And that allows them to attract more quality than their athletic funding would otherwise allow. 

9 hours ago, skikayaker said:

I think Kolat mentioned that he is working on Campbell getting 9.9 schollies, and that they were not quite there yet with funding.

Wow, I didn't realize that "not fully funded" meant less than 9.9 wrestling scholarships. I thought it meant that programs had a dollar limit on their total scholarship fund, which meant coaches had to allocate more in-state scholarships, ask guys to greyshirt and get in-state residency, etc.

I am a member on Cal State Board and former wrestler when the program was temporarily cut. The wrestling team is completely self funded by the community. The community has to raise the funds for coaches salaries, travel, entry fees, gear, mats, and scholarship(5 total I believe) , etc.... The school even charges them to use the gym for their camp. Back when the program was reinstated this was one of the stipulations they put in place in order to keep the 3 programs that where cut. I have heard that the new president and athletic director are more open to the possible reinstatement of funding. But on the other had the program has self funded its self for almost 10 years now. So they probably will keep dumping the money into the basketball gym renovations and The baseball field stadium they built after cutting the program. 

Edited by North08

My WAG, excluding Ivy League, Service Academies:

American

App State

Binghamton

Bloomsburg

Bucknell

Buffalo

Campbell

The Citadel

Clarion

Cleveland State

Davidson

Drexel

Duke

F&M

Gardner Webb

George Mason

Hofstra

Lock Haven

Northern Illinois

Rider

Sacred Heart

VMI

No clue about Cal State (Bakersfield, Fresno) Cal Poly, Utah Valley, NDSU, Northern Colorado, Northern Illinois, Presbyterian, Long Island, Arkansas LR.