MSU158

Askren.......OUCH!

Exactly. If he had gotten beaten up for 5 rounds or 3 or however long the match was going to be that would be one thing. That was a one in a million shot. That match tells you nothing about whether he's done or not in the UFC.
I would put it at something like a one in ten shot. Masvidal game planned that. Ben's strategy has never changed in MMA. Barrel his way in, eating a few shots if needed, get the guy down and smother them. He leaves him self very open when trying to get in. It is a narrow window in which to capitalize, but this is where his lack of any stand up really hurts him.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Cooch1 said:

HUMAN **** FIGHTING, AND INTENTIONALLY TRYING TO DAMAGE SOMEONE'S GOD GIVEN THINKING MACHINE. THIS IS 2019? BC?

MMA is pretty bad. But so is the NFL. I try to avoid both. 

If the UFC drops Askren now, his MMA career is probably done. 

IMO he should retire from MMA no matter what. He can have a great life as a wrestling coach and commentator. There’s no need to be further exposed to brain trauma. Brain injuries are no joke.

1 hour ago, Katie said:

MMA is pretty bad. But so is the NFL. I try to avoid both. 

NFL may be equally as dangerous, but MMA has people cheering to an unconscious man while the opposing fighter mocks him. It is a matter of time before someone dies to thunderous applause.

41 minutes ago, russelscout said:

NFL may be equally as dangerous, but MMA has people cheering to an unconscious man while the opposing fighter mocks him. It is a matter of time before someone dies to thunderous applause.

I have a much bigger problem with CTE than with tasteless applause. 

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Reminds me of War, being a veteran myself, maybe you should stick to watching soccer or table tennis.

12 hours ago, IronChef said:

Are you suggesting that nearly 35 year old Ben Askren try to become a competitive wrestler again almost ten years after his last meaningful match?

Not at all. Meant coaching. If he devoted hisself full-time to that, be it kids club level or even collegiate, all wrestling would benefit greatly. 

Also, for a guy with that much MMA experience, look at how he lunged wide open into that knee. Hell, he looked like an overweight heavyweight does when he goes for a double leg without bending his knees. 

Seriously, watch right when the knee connects to see Askren’s positioning. I simply can’t believe a super winded UFC fighter would get caught in that stance, let alone Askren 3 seconds into a fight. 

If he can get it to the ground he can beat anyone, but his age is definitely a factor for him getting the fight to the ground. 

11 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

The smack talk is fight buildup. It's literally good for Masvidal because it gets more viewers. When you hurt an opponent's brain with unknowable damage, a decent human being does not do what he did. It's one thing to celebrate when Ben gets up and very much another to do what he did when Ben could've turned into a vegetable and nobody would've been too surprised.

The point of the sport is essentially to try to put the other person in a vegetative state. It’s the most brutal sport in existence, so I’m not surprised by a guy acting like that. The UFC has ceased to be a “martial art” long ago and has been this brutal clown show for a while. 

Askren talked a lot of crap to somebody he shouldn’t have and the fight proceeded accordingly. 

57 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Also, for a guy with that much MMA experience, look at how he lunged wide open into that knee. Hell, he looked like an overweight heavyweight does when he goes for a double leg without bending his knees. 

Seriously, watch right when the knee connects to see Askren’s positioning. I simply can’t believe a super winded UFC fighter would get caught in that stance, let alone Askren 3 seconds into a fight. 

If he can get it to the ground he can beat anyone, but his age is definitely a factor for him getting the fight to the ground. 

The problem is all of Askren’s experience has been against what are essentially amateur fighters. The exception being Lawler, but in all honesty he should have lost the fight (I don’t blame the ref for the stoppage, but the better fighter lost imo).

1 minute ago, Ultimatepip said:

I'm gonna use all 3 guesses and say womens water polo?

Got it. I am surprised that as a veteran, mma reminds you of war. You think that it makes MMA a great spectator sport? You get a rise from the prospect of possibly seeing someone die by another's hands? 

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Got it. I am surprised that as a veteran, mma reminds you of war. You think that it makes MMA a great spectator sport? You get a rise from the prospect of possibly seeing someone die by another's hands? 

I would never want to see anyone die, but this is life and dying is reality. It's a risk these guys are willing to take. You need to lighten up pal. You could just as easily break your neck in wrestling, its happened before and it WILL happen again.

Just now, Ultimatepip said:

I would never want to see anyone die, but this is life and dying is reality. It's a risk these guys are willing to take. You need to lighten up pal. You could just as easily break your neck in wrestling, its happened before and it WILL happen again.

You just celebrated MMA for its likeness to war... ya I need to lighten up.

3 hours ago, russelscout said:

The 2nd UFC event ever didn't have rules in place to allow the referee to stop the fight.  A kickboxer named Robert Lucarelli got stomped, soccer kicked and generally bludgeoned pretty badly in his fight but unless his corner stopped it or he tapped out, the fight kept going.  So his opponent, thinking he had won, turned around after knocking him out only to be told it wasn't over yet.  Then he soccer kicked and elbowed him in the neck until the corner threw in the towel.  After that event John McCarthy told the UFC people that if he was going to referee again he needed to be able to stop the fight because he was afraid somebody may get killed or badly hurt.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMt-3iHdTtU  Stuff like this was pretty common in those early fights and the UFC is probably lucky somebody wasn't badly injured.  

Water polo is actually pretty brutal, so weird example.

As far as Askren goes, I never expected him to be competitive at the top of this division, but I was shocked last night.  He put his head down right into that knee like he has never seen that move before in his life. He could have moved backwards or laterally, and probably have been fine, but instead took an unbelievable amount of force directly to his brain, and probably years off his life in all reality.  The dude has made millions in Asia with very little damage to himself, has a successful wrestling operation with his brother, and if he takes another fight after that it will be the stupidest decision of his life.

21 hours ago, Katie said:

Brett Okamoto is reporting that Askren was taken to a hospital. I hope Askren's okay.

After watching the initial video, I saw another one from a different angle (tried to post a link to it, but I can't seem to find it anymore.)

The 2nd perspective looks like Askren took a hit to the neck as much as to the head. In slo-mo, it looked even more brutal.

I'm hoping Askren is OK.

7 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

After watching the initial video, I saw another one from a different angle (tried to post a link to it, but I can't seem to find it anymore.)

The 2nd perspective looks like Askren took a hit to the neck as much as to the head. In slo-mo, it looked even more brutal.

I'm hoping Askren is OK.

He'll be ok, him and Till should be the next fight 

18 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I'm hoping Askren is OK.

If I recall the replay I saw correctly, it looked like Masvidal's knee directly hit Askren's temple. After impact, his knee was directed down and a bit to the side, before being stopped when his thigh hits the top of Askren's shoulder.

A very nasty hit. On the bright side, at least Askren didn't get hit in the middle of his forehead.

Edited by Katie