MSU158

Askren.......OUCH!

28 minutes ago, Chet said:

I'll go after your bait. Lalwer is a past his prime champ and Askren was declared the winner in their match. Can you set your fan girl feelings aside for Askren and recognize that he has taken some massive bombs to the head in his two matches? How much longer do you think Askren will be able to utilize his evidence based best practice gold standard in MMA one dimensional wrestling style whilst he takes bombs to his head? How will he fare against, Usman, Woodley, Covington, Pettis, Till, Thompson, etc? I just don't think he's got much shot against any of the top welterweights in the division with his style.

He took some shots in the first one, recovered, got to a position where he was in control with relative ease and won. That's impressive and really it is in line with the type of thing we have seen in all of Askrens fights before. His next fight he took a shot that put him out 3 seconds in. Not punches, but a flying knee. Now, having seen what we have, I dont think it is ridiculous to think that Askren can tweak his game, be a little more tactical and avoid some of those early fight blows. Why should I be absolutely convinced that if he learns to weather the storm, he cant compete with anyone? My view seems just as relevant from looking at his 1-1 record in the UFC, and more relevant when looking at his career as a whole.

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

He took some shots in the first one, recovered, got to a position where he was in control with relative ease and won. That's impressive and really it is in line with the type of thing we have seen in all of Askrens fights before. His next fight he took a shot that put him out 3 seconds in. Not punches, but a flying knee. Now, having seen what we have, I dont think it is ridiculous to think that Askren can tweak his game, be a little more tactical and avoid some of those early fight blows. Why should I be absolutely convinced that if he learns to weather the storm, he cant compete with anyone? My view seems just as relevant from looking at his 1-1 record in the UFC, and more relevant when looking at his career as a whole.

Father time and the effects of getting concussed may get in the way of him getting the strap. I'll definitely give him props if he does. I just don't see him being able to take too many more bombs to the head.

20 minutes ago, Chet said:

Father time and the effects of getting concussed may get in the way of him getting the strap. I'll definitely give him props if he does. I just don't see him being able to take too many more bombs to the head.

Well, I dont disagree with that. If he doesnt effectively close the gap, continues to take bombs he wont get there. I just think he won't give up something like that against Masvidal again, and even in the position with Lawler. When he starts taking shots from standing then I will be worried.

Edited by russelscout

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, russelscout said:

Has your view changed at all?