Jump to content
NJDan

Askren KOed in 5 seconds

Recommended Posts

Lol he got caught shooting a sloppy double by a flying knee and it ended the match.

 

It has no impact on wrestling.

 

Nothing to do with international wrestling.

 

And knockouts are part of MMA, happens to 95% of em, I'm sure he'll compete a little longer before hanging it up.

 

Hate to see wrestlers veer into the **** talking Sonnen approach but if it stays in MMA, who cares.

 

#wrongGroup

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful flying knee by Masvidal. Big disappointment, I was rooting for Askren too. Ruined my ppv night.    :(   

That's 2 in a row we didn't get to see Ben's funk. First JB lights him up at BTS (somewhat expected) and now Masvidal drops him in 5 seconds. Hope Ben is ok.

Have to give credit to Jorge for a real shrewd game plan. Wonder if Yoel Romero had any influence coaching that flying knee right out of the gate? Worked perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben is way too one dimensional and predictable for elite MMA, he's taken more damage in his 2 UFC fights than in his previous 18 or so fights. 

That KO had me shook, really hope Ben's okay. He should retire and stick to his wrestling academy or something because with his style (and age) he's going to take a lot of damage which he doesn't need to take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't he retired already? He had an amazing run in mma, claiming the bellator and one fc belt but he is to one dimensional for the Ufc right now... I remember his no contest against Luis Santos, he got a bit beat up in those 2 minutes until the eyepoke and I think against striker with good takedown defense he will take unnecessary damage. 

The Ufc should hire him for broadcasting and I bet he's a good coach, so maybe this could be the future for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just telling my boy that Askren better watch out for flying knees right after the under card fight between Vera and hernandez.  Hernandez got caught with a flying knee going in for the td just like Askren.

Askren coaches just haven't been keeping up with the trend lately, wrestlers being caught with flying knees such as Pico and in Sonnens their last matches.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the question of whether Askren is actually a top fighter has been answered. I’m not sure why anyone thought he could wrestle has way through the UFC-that simply doesn’t work anymore. I’d see both him and Pico retire-Askren to coaching and Pico to international wrestling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Well, the question of whether Askren is actually a top fighter has been answered. I’m not sure why anyone thought he could wrestle has way through the UFC-that simply doesn’t work anymore. I’d see both him and Pico retire-Askren to coaching and Pico to international wrestling. 

Don't agree with that... Masvidal fight with just 5 sec don't tell anything about his ability to wrestle, since Askren is in the Ufc he only fought Lawler (ex champion) and Masvidal (rank 4 or 5), I want to see him at least one or twice more against Opponents from Rank 7-15

Pico really should come back to wrestling, with 22 years of age, he can go back to mma after 2024, or pick the right gym and right opponents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Graverobber said:

Don't agree with that... Masvidal fight with just 5 sec don't tell anything about his ability to wrestle, since Askren is in the Ufc he only fought Lawler (ex champion) and Masvidal (rank 4 or 5), I want to see him at least one or twice more against Opponents from Rank 7-15

Pico really should come back to wrestling, with 22 years of age, he can go back to mma after 2024, or pick the right gym and right opponents. 

Askren’s two fights have told me that he is going to take a lot of damage from any top fighter. He can steal a win like he did against Lawler, but eating punches and knees like he has is no recipe for long term success. At best he’s going to be a .500 fighter against these guys with KO power because he has none so they don’t have to show him any respect. 

 

Glad we agree on Pico though.

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Lol he got caught shooting a sloppy double by a flying knee and it ended the match.

 

It has no impact on wrestling.

 

Nothing to do with international wrestling.

 

And knockouts are part of MMA, happens to 95% of em, I'm sure he'll compete a little longer before hanging it up.

 

Hate to see wrestlers veer into the **** talking Sonnen approach but if it stays in MMA, who cares.

 

#wrongGroup

 

 

 

 

You're right: his losing does not hurt wrestling. But his winning would help as we all like to brag when MMA champs are ex-wrestlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Aren’t most of the champs wrestlers?  

Yes, but they have developed a striking game. Askren has limited striking skills. He should have focused on his striking early on in his career when he was fighting in regional cards at the Columbia, Missouri Holiday Inn. Instead he stuck with his wrestling skills to take down his opponents and smother them. It's a very effective style for elite fighters like Khabib, but he has solid striking and standup fighting skills that makes him less predictable. Askren has none and I doubt he has enough time left in his career to develop his striking game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will get at least two more fights maybe three. If he wins his next one I bet he rematches Masvidal. Then a top 3, then a title fight. That is a big maybe. Dana has a lot invested in him but his investment is 10 years to late. Askren will not beat the elite guys in UFC. His game was good until he hits a top 5-7 guy in UFC. A guy ranked 7-10 in UFC would be a Bellator champ in most cases. Love Ben. Hope he regroups, would actually like to see a rematch with Masvidal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Askren’s two fights have told me that he is going to take a lot of damage from any top fighter. He can steal a win like he did against Lawler, but eating punches and knees like he has is no recipe for long term success. At best he’s going to be a .500 fighter against these guys with KO power because he has none so they don’t have to show him any respect. 

 

Glad we agree on Pico though.

Totally agree, but not every fighter will be a champion, that's life. I think still he could win a couple of fights in the Ufc, maybe not the top guys but what about fighters like Neil magny, Kevin Lee or even Demian Maia (tbh, if Maia can't get the takedown it will be an ugly striking match)? I definitely would watch any of these matchups and I hope he sticks around for at least one or two fights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He got caught with a knee to the temple, in the striking sports it can happen 1 great shot ends the fight, Someone tweeted right before the fight that he had practiced the knee to the head for weeks and would try it right away, obviously Askren was not expecting it, with punches you can watch the shoulders to know where and when the punches will come from and either avoid or move with it to take the steam off it.  So many things people can do in UFC you can't defend everything,  much better to be offensive/seek and destroy type fighter in that sport in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dougb said:

He got caught with a knee to the temple, in the striking sports it can happen 1 great shot ends the fight, Someone tweeted right before the fight that he had practiced the knee to the head for weeks and would try it right away, obviously Askren was not expecting it, with punches you can watch the shoulders to know where and when the punches will come from and either avoid or move with it to take the steam off it.  So many things people can do in UFC you can't defend everything,  much better to be offensive/seek and destroy type fighter in that sport in my opinion.

Masvidal was able to practice it because he knew Askren would shoot for the double instantly, which he did. Askren has no creativity and doesn't set up his takedowns well at all. I don't want to see him fight again, not sure he'll be the same again after that brutal KO (and he was already heavily flawed and ill-suited to elite MMA)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I think Masvidal had practiced literally every step of that sequence.  A little change in direction, knowing when charging riled up Ben had to plant and change directions, and then 3,2,1...bingo!  That's what professional fighters do.  I honestly am surprised that Ben used the strategy he did.  Maybe he was a bit more emotionally charged than he usually begins?  Masvidal even stayed exactly in place against the cage totally set up their approach angles and initial contact location imo.  He taunted Ben so that they both knew there was no hand tapping going on.  I think his execution was brilliant, but tend to agree with him that Ben fell for it hook, line and sinker.   

That's the first time I've ever felt that.  I had a gut wrenching feeling that we would wake up to find out that Ben was dead or brain dead.  I know that's a huge over reaction on my part, but I was reminded of something last night.  When you know someone in either wrestling or mma, it means about 10X more to you the outcome of the bout.  In this case I found that my concern for Ben Askren was enough to keep me up all night.   I allowed myself to replay Masvidal trying to punch him when he knew damned well, his opponent was unconscious and then mocking him with the mat slapping antics.  Let's just say, I don't care who brings it, but I will be happy when he gets his ass handed to him.  That brings me to my 2nd thing.  I love wrestling, I love football.  MMA is like that train wreck I can't avoid watching.  I have a huge appreciation for what these athletes do.  I believe those guys are underpaid about 100X their value, and I'm absolutely fascinated with the amazing technique and strategies these warriors  bring.   But let's face it if Masvidal did what he did anywhere else in the world, that would have been attempted murder.  I like mma, but don't love it because of that one thing that I've never seen in sport before.  Where they almost always attack a defenseless man.  I understand that forces the official to stop it, but...that's too much for me.. That and sometimes there's just too much blood for me.  I imagine most of you will laugh at what a whimp I am, but I'm sure glad that funky boy is OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His unorthodox style made me laugh in college, until he was upsetting my boy Chris Pendleton once and then I got it.  I think he must be one strong hombre.  Amazing how much wrestling has changed since Ben wrestled.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peso said:

That's the first time I've ever felt that.  I had a gut wrenching feeling that we would wake up to find out that Ben was dead or brain dead.  I know that's a huge over reaction on my part, but I was reminded of something last night.  When you know someone in either wrestling or mma, it means about 10X more to you the outcome of the bout.  In this case I found that my concern for Ben Askren was enough to keep me up all night.   

I felt the exact same way, I was really shook by the brutality of the KO and was worried about Ben. Very glad to hear he seems to be okay, but there's no way that didn't harm him somehow, even if we don't see the effects of it until later on in his life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...