Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Deadspin article

He also doesnt say when he asked Smith or Brands this question. What if it was right after the 125 lbs final that night with McDonough right next to him when this guy asked Brands? How would Smith respond to the same question right after his wrestler was beaten by Robles with the kid right next to him?

Too many people believe everything that they read or hear.

The article makes it clear he asked the coaches the question in 2012.

He also doesnt say when he asked Smith or Brands this question. What if it was right after the 125 lbs final that night with McDonough right next to him when this guy asked Brands? How would Smith respond to the same question right after his wrestler was beaten by Robles with the kid right next to him?

Too many people believe everything that they read or hear.

The article makes it clear that he posed the question to the coaches in 2012.

I notice the author also failed to mention that Brands had been hired as head coach at Iowa for all of 2 months when Robles signed his LOI at Arizona State (from what I could find online). I would hardly think it was Brands fault that Iowa hadn't shown any interest in Robles.

I'm a Penn State fan and not particularly someone who feels the need to defend Brands. That being said, I might have been a bit upset by an obvious "trap" question myself...which it obviously was. What's he to say? Be honest and explain that the guy has one leg and it could probably affect his performance at the next level? Yeah..that would have looked real nice in print even though 99% of the coaches out there (including probably Robles eventual college coach), the fans or anyone else associated with wrestling would have thought or predicted. No one int their right mind would want to explain all this to someone after someone goes to print with that answer.

Look at what this writer printed. He writes, "he (Brands) fumbles through a couple of thin excuses". This one line pisses me off more that anything. It seems as if he may have been disturbed that Brands didn't come out and straight out say " the guy has one leg, that might not be good enough at the college level." Since Brands didn't give him the answer most of wouldn't be stupid enough to give (even though we would be thinking it) he decides to describes Brands answers as "thin excuses". Like I said, it was a "trap question. No matter how Brands answers him the writer will make something of it. If he's honest,then he passed on him only because of a disability and the writer will go crazy printing that one. If he gives any other answer then the writer says he gave thin excuses. Just look how he felt he needed to remind Tom Smith how Robles was a high school champion then needed to describe Smith as being "sheepish" with an answer.

Someone should punch this writer in the face for being an idiot. I have no explanation other that this guy wanted to make two fine coaches look bad because they didn't recruit a guy with no leg. Forget the fact that most anyone in the world would think...yeah...maybe Robles isn't the best option because of his disability. But since we now live in a "soft" world, can't speak our mind, be honest in fear of hurting feelings...but most of all... tell things the way they are. Fact of the matter was Robles was a risk because of his shortfalls. Yeah...I said it. Too bad those in the spotlight (Brands for one) can't say that without the media making him out to be some monster because of the way he thinks.

As to Robles having an advantage...well, yes, he did. But so did his opponents, you know, having two legs and all. It's not like Robles dominated the field for his entire career. He created a style for himself that maximized his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses. Bravo to him, he put it all together for his senior year, and earned a title.

Gee Van dude... you are right. This writer really seems like the real confronting type... going around picking fights with calm, reasonable people like Brands.

Yup... you sure figured him out didn't you.

What a Tool.

Oh, I'm sorry, how well do you know David Merrill?

Van tool. Boy, he seems just like the kind of guy to pick a fight... while brands could double as a Buddist monk. I am glad I need to skip Iowa this year. I wonder who they will boo this time. Most likely Logan.

David Merrill, M.D. Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry

My clinical interests focus on the practice and teaching of comprehensive, empathic patient care. I believe that effective, evidence-based treatment proceeds from careful diagnosis, and that biological and psychological -- including psychodynamic -- perspectives are complementary. I teach this approach to the trainees I supervise on the Washington Heights Community Service Inpatient Unit.

Gee Van dude... you are right. This writer really seems like the real confronting type... going around picking fights with calm, reasonable people like Brands.

Yup... you sure figured him out didn't you.

What a Tool.

Oh, I'm sorry, how well do you know David Merrill?

Van tool. Boy, he seems just like the kind of guy to pick a fight... while brands could double as a Buddist monk. I am glad I need to skip Iowa this year. I wonder who they will boo this time. Most likely Logan.

David Merrill, M.D. Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry

My clinical interests focus on the practice and teaching of comprehensive, empathic patient care. I believe that effective, evidence-based treatment proceeds from careful diagnosis, and that biological and psychological -- including psychodynamic -- perspectives are complementary. I teach this approach to the trainees I supervise on the Washington Heights Community Service Inpatient Unit.

Oh good. An official biography, I'm sure that's the best way to get the measure of a man.

Townshi+

"Someone should punch this writer in the face for being an idiot."

Classy, real classy. Thank G_D Cael doesn't embrace PS fans like you.

How do think Cael would have reacted if asked the same question?

The irony of someone changing someone's handle into an expletive and then criticizing his class within the space of 3 lines is just just staggering.

Probably the same way Smith did. Which is also the same way pretty much everyone would have.

Townshi+

I didn't mean that in a literal sense. But will say this, the writers intention was to make not one but two coaches look bad for absolutely no reason at all. It's quite obvious what he was doing here..

the writers intention was to make not one but two coaches look bad for absolutely no reason at all. It's quite obvious what he was doing here..

Smith didn't come out of that article looking bad at all.

Van dude, you sure are funny. I psy. who publically states that his "interests focus on the practice and teaching of comprehensive, empathic patient care." Is going to start a fight with an national and world wrestling champ... while writing an article about a wrestler with one leg.

Yeah... that's right... that seems like just what he would do.

Wouldn't YOU? :lol:

Townshi+

I didn't mean that in a literal sense. But will say this, the writers intention was to make not one but two coaches look bad for absolutely no reason at all. It's quite obvious what he was doing here..

Yup... that was the REASON he wrote the article... just to put down the coaches. The entire piece was a build up (NOT) to show Brands in a negative light (because he NEVER does that himself). Smith answered honestly.... Brands... well... he acted like he acts. Pretty clear.

Probably the same way Smith did. Which is also the same way pretty much everyone would have.

LOL. We've already established that you have no idea how the question was asked or what led up to it. But you did get a great zinger in about my sleep depending on what you think of Tom Brands.

Robles won the 2006 NHSCA Senior Nationals at 112 lbs.. With the 9.9 scholarship limit I think the prospects of recruiting any 112 kid to wrestle D-1 at 125 is a gamble....geeze give these guys a break. Smith & Brands should have simply asked Merrill what he would have done (without the benefit of hindsight) if he were the head coach of a top D-1 school expected to win NCAA titles every year...I bet I can guess the answer.

And what did that get Smith? I'll tell ya, some writer describing Smith as responding "sheepishly" to his questioning. See what I mean here? Smith didn't lash out, responded accordingly and this writer still does his best to make a fine coach look bad in print. We should be more upset with the writer than coach Brands. Brands didn't handle himself in an ideal way but he probably felt this writer was "fishing" for quotes to make his story better while making coaches look bad for not recruiting a guy with one leg. That's just how I feel about it..

Townshi+

Yup... that was the REASON he wrote the article... just to put down the coaches. The entire piece was a build up (NOT) to show Brands in a negative light (because he NEVER does that himself). Smith answered honestly.... Brands... well... he acted like he acts. Pretty clear.

The point of the article was to show how Robles overcame so much to get to where he is. To a casual reader, they may now look down on Brands and Smith because they didn't recruit him because of a disability. To me, that isn't right to do that to those two coaches. Sorry..that's just how I feel...

The experienced head coach knows how to do the interviews. John Smith knew how to do it properly. I applaud him. Cael did it well after leaving Iowa State. He had to learn real fast on how to do the interview properly.

I have seen the interviews with Dan Gable, J Robinson, Bobby Douglas, etc. They are quite experienced in interviews.

I would think that Tom Brands has lots of learning on how to do the interviews properly. A real experienced head coach wouldn't be saying "Are you looking for a fight?" I was bit disappointed with Tom because he did it before with others in the past and is still the same in similar way. Maybe he's too intense and needs to be loosened a bit.

If it was up to me in same situation, I would be doing the same thing as John Smith. The head coach could say - "What can I say? He proved me wrong. Props to Anthony." or "Well, I was trying to recruit the other guy near here" or "I got the NCAA champion McDonough, didn't I?"

On other side, maybe, Tom was too intense and cannot see anything but a win. When he was trapped, he reacted in a way he knew how. After all, Hawkeyes are taught to win and not accept loss at all, right?

Or maybe he DID say all that you wish he had said. Again, all the psychiatrist gave us was "he fumbled through some thin excuses." What were these thin excuses? Are they really thin, or just thin according to the author?

In that case, you could write to him to find out what exactly were these thin excuses and let us know.