olddirty

Check out this smoke show

On 9/24/2019 at 2:24 PM, Fishbane said:

August Wesley's wikipedia page has been deleted.

Never fear, you can look way back and get it!  It is duplicated here and in other places.  Let us start with a positive video!

Some partial checking on the references check out.  

References

1.  "Local Wrestler Pursues Olympic Dream". City Press. 1 (16). Citrus Heights, CA. 30 December 1999. p. 8.
    1. Not confirmed.  Could not find newspaper with online search
  2.  "Black Men in Leadership—August Wesley: driven, tenacious & compassionate". Centerstage!. THE HUB Magazine. Sacramento, CA: Discover Publications. 27 June 2013.
    1. Not confirmed.  Found the magazine but not the article.
  3.  Taylor, AJ (13 September 2011). "New wrestling club forms at Sac State". The State Hornet. Sacramento, CA. p. B4.
    1. Article exists
      1. As a wrestler himself, Wesley has medaled five times in international competitions. He competed in Guatemala and Bolivia as a part of the 1999 US International team and competed in the 1996 and 2000 Olympic trials.  Wesley has coached 11 international teams and has experience within the Sacramento area. He coached the Sierra College team to a state dual meet championship in 2003 and was the Sacramento City College coach from 2007 to 2008.  “You can’t really ask for a better coach,” Contreras said. “He’s a top quality coach. He’s worked with the best, and he was just at the Olympic training center so I’m really excited. Not particularly excited to get beat up by him every day.”  Wesley has been coaching the team since the start of the semester and the club is already seeing significant changes.  “Last year they went through the process of being a sport club,” Wesley said. “This year, we’re taking it to a new level. We’re in the NCWA and that’s very competitive.”
  4.  "Coach Shares Wrestling Passion". Urban Living. The Sacramento Observer. Sacramento, CA. 13 December 2012. p. F2.
    1. Not confirmed.  The Sacramento Observer exists.  Could not find article.
  5.  "August Wesley: Wrestling". Sacramento Sports Hall of Fame. TC Entertainment. 2019. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
    1. Not confirmed. 
      1. The website is poor quality at best based on multiple "copy of" URLs.  The event photos seem real and it seems odd that a HoF with the funds to have fancy events cannot afford a professional website.  There is a bio with August Wesley and he is holding an impressive trophy that makes this seem real.  AW does not claim to have been inducted, only nominated. 
    2. Flag
      1. The AW Linked URL says "copy-of-gerald-willhite."  
  6.  "26th Annual Mark Fuller Invitational Wrestling: Tournament a jewel in high school sports". Lincoln News Messenger. Lincoln, CA. 18 January 2012.
    1. Article exists
      1. One former wrestler who participated in the Mark Fuller Invitational several years ago was California State University-Sacramento wrestling coach August Wesley. He knew there would be a lot of talent all in one place, but it wasn’t the only reason he came....
  7.  "Olympic Profile". KCRA News. Sacramento, CA: Hearst Television. 2000.
    1. Partially confirmed.  While I could not locate the original KCRA news, there is reason to believe it exists.  The KCRA video from 2015 shows an earlier video around this time AND August did wrestle at the trials.
  8.  Rodgers, Del (7 March 2015). "Wresting is family tradition for Jesuit's only state qualifier". KCRA News. Sacramento, CA: Hearst Television. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
    1. Confirmed
  9.  "Wesley Wrestles with Distractions". Neighbors Sports. The Sacramento Bee. Sacramento, CA. 13 June 1996. pp. 10–11.
    1. Confirmed
  10.  "Anthony Wesley - 2016-17 Wrestling Roster - Iowa State University Athletics". Iowa State Cyclones. Iowa State University Athletics. 2018. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
    1. Confirmed
  11.  "Aims for Olympics". Neighbors Sports. The Sacramento Bee. Sacramento, CA. 25 August 1994. p. 18.
    1. Confirmed
  12.  "April 30 results from the U S National GR Championships 76 130 kg". Team USA. USA Wrestling. 30 April 2000. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
    1. Confirmed
  13.  ...

Part of the confusion is with this guy's resume wording.  It reminds one of interviewees that use the word 'we' when answering questions.  One must pay close attention and ask what was 'his' part of the achievement?  Some statements were teased apart...

Success of others

• Member of a club that secured six National Championships.
  • His cousin was a member of the 1988 U.S. Olympic Greco-Roman team and earned Bronze medals at the Pan Am Games and World Cup.
  • Son Anthony Wesley is a 2x Greco-Roman All American that represented Iowa State University

Individual Success

• a member of the US International Exchange Team training in Reno, Nevada, competing in Sydney, Australia and winning the Bronze medal 
  • trained in the World Team Camp at the Olympic Training Center
  • participated at multiple senior Olympic trials
  • placed in veteran world championships and in other international tournaments
  • coached internationally*
  • coached at various levels including high school and college

*He specifically mentioned coaching internationally through 'World Sports Alliance' and 'International Sports Alliance.'  I am not aware of those programs but I personally participated in something that is likely similar, the 1999 ISSI Down Under Games Freestyle Wrestling Tournament held July in Surfers Paradise, Queensland in Australia.  The tournament was largely highschool USA kids between the ages of 14-19.  There were several folkstyle medalists and champions at their local state level.  Participants spanned states in the USA, Australia, and less from other countries.  I'd need to dig up the old photo but I want to say my Kansas team brought ~20 participants.  For many of the USA kids, it was their first freestyle exposure and it was an international tournament :).  We wrestled two tournaments in Australia and then travelled to Hawaii for a few days before returning home.  

It is apparent that August West has an incredible passion for wrestling.  He was an above average youth wrestler, a coach, and he is still grappling as a veteran -- more than most of us can claim.  He is a proud father.  He chooses his credential words very carefully in a way that is causing readers to attribute team association success as individual success.

Edit: Discovered an interview that AW coached at several international wrestling camps like George Camps.  Aside.  I bet those camps are an awesome experience!

Edited by jross
changed word from medaled to placed

Weakest resume I've ever seen; why would you put a 7th place finish in a Guatemalan tourney, or two 10th place finishes in the World's Veterans tournament. In all probability that tells me he was 2 and out in each competition.

Because 98% of athletic directors at colleges don't know crap about wrestling, so that sounds impressive. I know there were some multi All Americans passed up because of the resume seemed better than theirs,  but in reality....he coached college teams while not being there and he was canned in 3.5 months for a reason at NWKTC. 

6 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Can’t see a release about his firing, only that there is a new HC. What happened and how the hell did he get the Wheeling job?!! Maybe I need to start applying for D2, D3, and JUCO jobs because if this clown can land one, I may have a shot.

•  

Dude I am telling you DII, DIII, NAIA, NJCAA....go for it! Most have credibility, but many have low numbers that apply too.  There is a note out there on new hire in January.

3 hours ago, Swayz said:
  •  

Dude I am telling you DII, DIII, NAIA, NJCAA....go for it! Most have credibility, but many have low numbers that apply too.  There is a note out there on new hire in January.

Well we just bought a house in the suburbs Northeast of Baltimore, and my wife just landed a high grade GS with the DoD that has allowed me to take some time off (unfortunately too much time as I was thinking a month or two, not four, or more) and find a career I’ll be happy with so.....looks like it’s either Johnny H (D3), McDaniel, whom I’m never heard of (D3), or UMBC (club/NCWA). I’ll keep a look out.

3 hours ago, Swayz said:
  •  

https://wucardinals.com/staff-directory/august-wesley/250

Wheeling University has appointed August Wesley as Head Coach of the wrestling program, with the anticipation to be back on the mat for the upcoming 2020-21 season.

Wesley joins Wheeling after a successful four-year stint running the Iowa State University club wrestling program. During his time in Ames, Wesley tutored 27 National Qualifiers, four All-Americans, six Academic All-Americans, and guided the Cyclones to a fifth place in the 2018 NCWA National Championships. 

"I would like to thank Wheeling University President Ginny Favede, Carrie Hanna and the hiring committee for the opportunity to take the helm of this decorated program," Wesley said. "I feel confident that with the continued support from the administration and fans, we will foster a championship environment displaying continued growth on the mat and in the classroom. Together we will reignite the wrestling flame here in our community and showcase our fighting spirit."

President Ginny R. Favede said, "Wheeling University is excited to rebuild its wrestling program and I am confident that in August Wesley we have found a superb coach who will lead our wrestlers with professionalism, technical knowledge, ambition and confidence along with the manner in which he exudes the enthusiasm to continue Wheeling University's history of success."

August Wesley Olympic Training Center"There are high expectations on this campus stemming from a strong culture with a history of success," Wesley added. "People from the region have already started reaching out to me and they can't wait to see our lineup plus watch us compete. They love wrestling here in the Northern Panhandle and are hungry for a national championship team and that inspires me to get the job done!"

Prior to his time at Iowa State, Wesley spent four years as the head coach at California State University-Sacramento from 2011-15.  He helped tutor six national qualifiers, one academic All-American and was named the NCWA Conference Coach of the Year.  

Wesley has led 14 United States teams in international competitions during his coaching career. His coaching efforts have taken him to 24 different countries on five continents. He has been honored twice with the Outstanding Coach's Award at competitions in Australia and Austria.

As an athlete, Wesley had top-10 finishes in the 2012 and 2015 World Championships and competed in the 1996 and 2000 Olympic Trials. He represented the U.S. on multiple international teams and was a six-time medalist throughout his wrestling career. Wesley has strong ties to the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, having resided at the center during several trainings and competitions.

"We can't sneak up on anyone because it's not a secret that the program has tallied 10 All-Americans, including three NCAA National Champions," he continued. "We will aim to build on that tradition, coupled with discipline, commitment and a challenging schedule. These are all vital in building a lasting program."

"I am excited to continue building relationships with our alumni, boosters and wrestling family within West Virginia. My plan is to recruit nationally to bring in the best student athletes that will fit into our program goals and team mindset, so they can have a superior collegiate experience here at Wheeling University. We will to hit the ground running with a mix of young hungry Cardinals and seasoned grapplers. This 2020-21 brand of wrestling will be to stalk and attack our opponents, which will make for exciting matches. This is the most competitive region in the country so every dual or tournament is always meaningful."

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

So looks like they didn't have a team in 2019-2020, but had 2 D2 national champs in 2018-2019?   And the school was in financial trouble even before COVID.   

Yep. School was having financial issues so the head coach left for West Liberty amid the uncertainty of what was going to happen to the school/program. They'll be jumping up the D2 ranks next year.

Here's an interview he did with TOM - https://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-news/toms-quarant-interview-with-west-liberty-head-coach-danny-irwin/77655

Edited by PinFallRecruit

8 hours ago, fullnelson said:

Weakest resume I've ever seen; why would you put a 7th place finish in a Guatemalan tourney, or two 10th place finishes in the World's Veterans tournament. In all probability that tells me he was 2 and out in each competition.

A long-time acquaintance writes about this behavior, which is more rampant in BJJ.  BTW, you are correct at least for the 2015 Veteran World Championship tournament.

Edited by jross

4 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Yep. School was having financial issues so the head coach left for West Liberty amid the uncertainty of what was going to happen to the school/program. They'll be jumping up the D2 ranks next year.

Here's an interview he did with TOM - https://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-news/toms-quarant-interview-with-west-liberty-head-coach-danny-irwin/77655

2 guys went to UPJ. which had a nasty looking tournament team. 

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

https://wucardinals.com/staff-directory/august-wesley/250

Wheeling University has appointed August Wesley as Head Coach of the wrestling program, with the anticipation to be back on the mat for the upcoming 2020-21 season.

Wesley joins Wheeling after a successful four-year stint running the Iowa State University club wrestling program. During his time in Ames, Wesley tutored 27 National Qualifiers, four All-Americans, six Academic All-Americans, and guided the Cyclones to a fifth place in the 2018 NCWA National Championships. 

"I would like to thank Wheeling University President Ginny Favede, Carrie Hanna and the hiring committee for the opportunity to take the helm of this decorated program," Wesley said. "I feel confident that with the continued support from the administration and fans, we will foster a championship environment displaying continued growth on the mat and in the classroom. Together we will reignite the wrestling flame here in our community and showcase our fighting spirit."

President Ginny R. Favede said, "Wheeling University is excited to rebuild its wrestling program and I am confident that in August Wesley we have found a superb coach who will lead our wrestlers with professionalism, technical knowledge, ambition and confidence along with the manner in which he exudes the enthusiasm to continue Wheeling University's history of success."

August Wesley Olympic Training Center"There are high expectations on this campus stemming from a strong culture with a history of success," Wesley added. "People from the region have already started reaching out to me and they can't wait to see our lineup plus watch us compete. They love wrestling here in the Northern Panhandle and are hungry for a national championship team and that inspires me to get the job done!"

Prior to his time at Iowa State, Wesley spent four years as the head coach at California State University-Sacramento from 2011-15.  He helped tutor six national qualifiers, one academic All-American and was named the NCWA Conference Coach of the Year.  

Wesley has led 14 United States teams in international competitions during his coaching career. His coaching efforts have taken him to 24 different countries on five continents. He has been honored twice with the Outstanding Coach's Award at competitions in Australia and Austria.

As an athlete, Wesley had top-10 finishes in the 2012 and 2015 World Championships and competed in the 1996 and 2000 Olympic Trials. He represented the U.S. on multiple international teams and was a six-time medalist throughout his wrestling career. Wesley has strong ties to the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, having resided at the center during several trainings and competitions.

"We can't sneak up on anyone because it's not a secret that the program has tallied 10 All-Americans, including three NCAA National Champions," he continued. "We will aim to build on that tradition, coupled with discipline, commitment and a challenging schedule. These are all vital in building a lasting program."

"I am excited to continue building relationships with our alumni, boosters and wrestling family within West Virginia. My plan is to recruit nationally to bring in the best student athletes that will fit into our program goals and team mindset, so they can have a superior collegiate experience here at Wheeling University. We will to hit the ground running with a mix of young hungry Cardinals and seasoned grapplers. This 2020-21 brand of wrestling will be to stalk and attack our opponents, which will make for exciting matches. This is the most competitive region in the country so every dual or tournament is always meaningful."

Nwktc hired a new guy in January to replace him, I will have to find it.

10 hours ago, Swayz said:

Nwktc hired a new guy in January to replace him, I will have to find it.

Jan 9, 2020. https://www.nwktc.edu/news/post/northwest-tech-names-new-head-wrestling-coach

Northwest Tech has recently welcomed a new Head Wrestling Coach, Chris Guillot. He is coming to Goodland already having a fondness and familiarity for the area, having served as the head coach for Goodland High School from 1999-2001. During his time at the district, he developed state championship and a top five team.

Guillot graduated with his degree in Physical Education from the University of Nebraska at Kearney, where he wrestled and earned distinction as an NCAA Division II All-American. Before his time at the university, he spent two years wrestling under well-known area coach Steve Lampe while at Colby Community College, also earning honors as an NJCAA Wrestling All-American. Throughout his years of coaching and competing, he has built an extensive network of wrestling advocates, including former wrestling champions such as Ramico Blackmon, Willie Gadson, and Nate Carr.

Edited by jross
added ind. achievements from the article

17 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Well we just bought a house in the suburbs Northeast of Baltimore, and my wife just landed a high grade GS with the DoD that has allowed me to take some time off (unfortunately too much time as I was thinking a month or two, not four, or more) and find a career I’ll be happy with so.....looks like it’s either Johnny H (D3), McDaniel, whom I’m never heard of (D3), or UMBC (club/NCWA). I’ll keep a look out.

McDaniel changed their name in 2002.  Before that it went by Western Maryland College.  Though there is a good chance you had never heard that name before either.  

21 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

McDaniel changed their name in 2002.  Before that it went by Western Maryland College.  Though there is a good chance you had never heard that name before either.  

You are correct but I do now! The more I’ve been thinking about all this, the more aggravating it is making me. If I had any association to Wheeling I’d be emailing the AD and explaining to that schmuck the differences in programs, associations, World Championships (the 10th place, out of 13, going 0-1 had me on fire), and volunteer to find someone worth while. I’m sure the pay isn’t great but a young (mid-late 20s) coach would do much better. The whole coaching a HS team AND ISU club/rec team at the same time should of raised questions.

I think the fact that this guy got hired shows what the applicant pool was like, and with good reason. The school nearly closed, they ripped the mats out of the wrestling room...now they want to bring it back?

On 4/26/2020 at 4:29 PM, IronChef said:

I think the fact that this guy got hired shows what the applicant pool was like, and with good reason. The school nearly closed, they ripped the mats out of the wrestling room...now they want to bring it back?

The program was successful before recent turmoil and the community can wish them continued success!  Does the community know how AW performs as a coach at the club and college level?  Has he personally progressed kids upward or has success been primarily due to inherited studs?  Does he recruit well?  Do the wrestlers like him?  There are successful coaches with less credentials... If one ignores the camp coach stuff, is there enough information to understand how good of a coach he is or isn't?  

2 hours ago, jross said:

The program was successful before recent turmoil and the community can wish them continued success!  Does the community know how AW performs as a coach at the club and college level?  Has he personally progressed kids upward or has success been primarily due to inherited studs?  Does he recruit well?  Do the wrestlers like him?  There are successful coaches with less credentials... If one ignores the camp coach stuff, is there enough information to understand how good of a coach he is or isn't?  

Looking at his former wikipedia profile, as a head coach his only prior college experience was at the club level.  The fact that he was apparently the head coach of both a HS team in California and the ISU club team at the same time should have been at least one red flag.  Even at the high school level, his best achievement as a HC was winning a conference.

19 minutes ago, jross said:

a club team...

He does seem like he may be good at actually forming teams and getting guys to come out and stuff like that, which may be what Wheeling needs right now.   Just not sure if there's really any actual evidence that he'd be a good coach at the NCAA level.