1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Thank you for proving my point as to why Amos needs to choose tOSU.  If you also believe that there are 5-6 better wrestlers around his size on his own team, and he's a 3x AA, NCAA Runner-up, Jr World Bronze and U23 Silver, then yeah... Amos ABSOLUTELY needs to choose tOSU.

I mean the best spot for any top upper weight is obviously Penn State , pretty sure the last decade speaks for itself...So no I don’t think Amos “absolutely” needs to choose Ohio state. He can go a lot of places and have the same level of practice partners and get a much better education while he’s at it 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I mean the best spot for any top upper weight is obviously Penn State , pretty sure the last decade speaks for itself...So no I don’t think Amos “absolutely” needs to choose Ohio state. He can go a lot of places and have the same level of practice partners and get a much better education while he’s at it 

285?   Can Braxton even make 197?  You realize that Cassar is the 1st Finalist for PSU under Sanderson?

Still, tOSU does a side by side VERY well for 197-285 against ANYONE.

tOSU------------197--------------285-------------------------PSU-------------------197---------------------285

2019    Moore 2nd----Singletary (2-2)--------------------------------Nickal 1st----------------Cassar 1st

2018    Moore 4th------Snyder 1st--------------------------------------Rasheed 7th------------Nevills 7th

2017    Moore 3rd------Snyder 1st--------------------------------------McCutcheon R12----Nevills 5th

2016    Martin DNQ---Snyder 1st---------------------------------------McIntosh 2nd---------Nevills DNP

2015    Snyder 2nd----Tavanello (0-2)--------------------------------McIntosh 3rd----------Lawson 6th

2014    Heflin 2nd------Tavanello R12--------------------------------McIntosh 7th----------Gingrich (1-2)

2013    Campo (0-2)---Karageorge DNQ----------------------------Wright 1st--------------Lawson (1-2)

2012    Campo R12----Capone (1-2)----------------------------------McIntosh (1-2)-------Wade R12

2011    Capone (1-2)--Stolarsky DNQ-------------------------------Ruggear DNQ----------Wade R12

2010   Magrum(2-2)--Morrison (0-2)--------------------------------Steadman DNQ-------Wade (2-2)

These don't even account for Pucillo or Bergman right before that timeframe.

So, in the past 10 years, tOSU has 2,2,2,3,4,R12,(2-2),(1-2),(0-2) and DNQ at 197.

PSU, in that same 10, has 1,1,2,3,7,7,R12,(1-2),DNQ and DNQ.

At 285, tOSU has 1,1,1,R12,(2-2),(1-2),(0-2),(0-2), DNQ and DNQ.

At 285, PSU has 1,5,6,7, R12,R12,(2-2),(1-2),(1-2) and DNP.

Even adding 184(which PSU has basically OWNED), tOSU does well, with emphasis on the past 5 years

2010---------------Pucillo(1 handed) R12-----------------------------------Erwin (2-2)

2011--------------Magrum(1-2)--------------------------------------------------Wright 1st

2012--------------Magrum inj-----------------------------------------------------Wright 2nd

2013--------------Magrum(1-2)--------------------------------------------------Ruth 1st

2014--------------Courts R12-----------------------------------------------------Ruth 1st

2015--------------Courts 5th------------------------------------------------------McCutcheon R12

2016--------------Courts(0-2)----------------------------------------------------McCutcheon(0-2)

2017--------------Martin 5th------------------------------------------------------Nickal 1st

2018--------------Martin 2nd-----------------------------------------------------Nickal 1st

2019--------------Martin 3rd-----------------------------------------------------Rasheed(2-2)

Edited by MSU158

1 minute ago, MSU158 said:

Slooooooowwwwww time of the year.  Troll's can at least be good for generating conversation.

Year, guess you're right.  We've got basically nothing between now and September.  

Time to start power ranking coaches, weight classes, campuses, fan bases, and tournament locations.  

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

285?   Can Braxton even make 197?  You realize that Cassar is the 1st Finalist for PSU under Sanderson?

Still, tOSU does a side by side VERY well for 197-285 against ANYONE.

tOSU------------197--------------285-------------------------PSU-------------------197---------------------285

2019    Moore 2nd----Singletary (2-2)--------------------------------Nickal 1st----------------Cassar 1st

2018    Moore 4th------Snyder 1st--------------------------------------Rasheed 7th------------Nevills 7th

2017    Moore 3rd------Snyder 1st--------------------------------------McCutcheon R12----Nevills 5th

2016    Martin DNQ---Snyder 1st---------------------------------------McIntosh 2nd---------Nevills DNP

2015    Snyder 2nd----Tavanello (0-2)--------------------------------McIntosh 3rd----------Lawson 6th

2014    Heflin 2nd------Tavanello R12--------------------------------McIntosh 7th----------Gingrich (1-2)

2013    Campo (0-2)---Karageorge DNQ----------------------------Wright 1st--------------Lawson (1-2)

2012    Campo R12----Capone (1-2)----------------------------------McIntosh (1-2)-------Wade R12

2011    Capone (1-2)--Stolarsky DNQ-------------------------------Ruggear DNQ----------Wade R12

2010   Magrum(2-2)--Morrison (0-2)--------------------------------Steadman DNQ-------Wade (2-2)

These don't even account for Pucillo or Bergman right before that timeframe.

So, in the past 10 years, tOSU has 2,2,2,3,4,R12,(2-2),(1-2),(0-2) and DNQ at 197.

PSU, in that same 10, has 1,1,2,3,7,7,R12,(1-2),DNQ and DNQ.

At 285, tOSU has 1,1,1,R12,(2-2),(1-2),(0-2),(0-2), DNQ and DNQ.

At 285, PSU has 1,5,6,7, R12,R12,(2-2),(1-2),(1-2) and DNP.

Even adding 184(which PSU has basically OWNED), tOSU does well, with emphasis on the past 5 years

2010---------------Pucillo(1 handed) R12-----------------------------------Erwin (2-2)

2011--------------Magrum(1-2)--------------------------------------------------Wright 1st

2012--------------Magrum inj-----------------------------------------------------Wright 2nd

2013--------------Magrum(1-2)--------------------------------------------------Ruth 1st

2014--------------Courts R12-----------------------------------------------------Ruth 1st

2015--------------Courts 5th------------------------------------------------------McCutcheon R12

2016--------------Courts(0-2)----------------------------------------------------McCutcheon(0-2)

2017--------------Martin 5th------------------------------------------------------Nickal 1st

2018--------------Martin 2nd-----------------------------------------------------Nickal 1st

2019--------------Martin 3rd-----------------------------------------------------Rasheed(2-2)

I’m not trolling for one just making a point...also if he can’t make 197 why go to Ohio state where they have someone at his weight that’s probably close to a full scholarship if not completely for the next 5 years...impressive research, doesn’t change the fact that penn state upper weights (174- 285) have produced a lot more national champions then Ohio state over the last 10 yrs..I can tell your an Ohio state fan I’m not saying TOSU sucks ,they’ll be a top 5 program as long as Tom Ryan is there awesome program average school, but Amos is a guy who can be a 4 time finalist multiple time champ so IMO Ohio state is not the best place for him..Personally I’d rather see him go to Virginia tech 

43 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I’m not trolling for one just making a point...also if he can’t make 197 why go to Ohio state where they have someone at his weight that’s probably close to a full scholarship if not completely for the next 5 years...impressive research, doesn’t change the fact that penn state upper weights (174- 285) have produced a lot more national champions then Ohio state over the last 10 yrs..I can tell your an Ohio state fan I’m not saying TOSU sucks ,they’ll be a top 5 program as long as Tom Ryan is there awesome program average school, but Amos is a guy who can be a 4 time finalist multiple time champ so IMO Ohio state is not the best place for him..Personally I’d rather see him go to Virginia tech 

Hate to break it to you, but Ohio State ranks above Penn State academically.  If he was looking for a much "better" school that still had a strong wrestling program, he'd have had a different top 5. 

And of course Penn State is an amazing choice for any upperweight in a vacuum, but he doesn't fit into their lineup.  

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Hate to break it to you, but Ohio State ranks above Penn State academically.  If he was looking for a much "better" school that still had a strong wrestling program, he'd have had a different top 5. 

And of course Penn State is an amazing choice for any upperweight in a vacuum, but he doesn't fit into their lineup.  

I believe Amos has a higher ceiling then Nevills so I think he would fit the lineup just fine but like I said I’d rather see Amos go to Virginia tech and keep building that program up, overall better for the sport the more teams with a chance to win in March. 

5 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I believe Amos has a higher ceiling then Nevills so I think he would fit the lineup just fine but like I said I’d rather see Amos go to Virginia tech and keep building that program up, overall better for the sport the more teams with a chance to win in March. 

I've got no problem with either of those takes.  They're the first reasonable things you've said on your brand new troll account.

I think he's a 197, which is why I don't think he fits at PSU, but no doubt he would do well at heavyweight too.  Wouldn't be the first time Cael has kicked a Nevills to the curb.  

Re: Virginia Tech, that would be a great spot for him.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

Using the "eyeball" test, Amos resembles Snyder around that same age.  Amos doesn't "look" ripped or "cut".  

With the right nutrition plan, I think 197 could be a reality.  To previous poster's points, going HWT with Kerkvliet already there means that Amos would ride the bench.  Going 197 with Kerk as a training partner, and you may have a Multiple Time High AA/Champ on your hands.

3 hours ago, boconnell said:

So a big argument over where a guy should go.  Let me guess...

Every poster thinks it's obvious that he should go to the school they support.  Fascinating stuff here.

Not me. MSU sure as hell isn’t happening and Iowa is fully committed to their young 197-285 combo. 

Now, I will say that OkState looks like they need him by far the most out of the big 4(PSU, tOSU, Iowa and OkState) +3 Cornell, Michigan and Missouri. 

PSU has Cassar extended 2 more years and Michael Beard coming in. 

tOSU has Kerkvliet and maybe Singletary dropping to 197. 

Iowa has Warner and Cass. 

Michigan has Mason Parris, but they may truly need a 197 of Davidson hasn’t improved. 

Missouri- He could definitely fit in here, but they do the best with a teeny bit less. Elam is solid and Punke has solid potential. 

OkState is HURTING up top, even with some stellar recruits lined up at other weights. Adding Amos to that crazy strong 2020 class would put Smith above even Sanderson’s best recruiting year. 

34 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

OkState is HURTING up top, even with some stellar recruits lined up at other weights. Adding Amos to that crazy strong 2020 class would put Smith above even Sanderson’s best recruiting year. 

The idea of Ferreri AND Amos both going there to man 197/285 is frothy.

Edited by nhs67
I'm an idiot

1 hour ago, Coach_J said:

Just talked with him--plan at this point is 197.  Not going to get into his college choices--his personal business.

He is pretty thick.  Hopefully it works out for him.  Have seen plenty of top talent fizzle out or fall a bit short trying to hold 197, which is why I am hesitant with highly ranked 215/220 recruits.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

He is pretty thick.  Hopefully it works out for him.  Have seen plenty of top talent fizzle out or fall a bit short trying to hold 197, which is why I am hesitant with highly ranked 215/220 recruits.

I agree.  I look at examples of Cassar, McCoy, etc., who became better by going up in weight and not cutting and I can see him eventually fitting in that mold.  Cutting can affect someone who's never done it before--too many times for the worse.  I guess we'll see, but he's a great kid, humble and hard-working, and I hope for nothing but he best for him.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

That goes both ways though.  Plenty of blue chip recruits that were tweeners have struggled putting on the weight and moving up as well.  

I will say though, the heavyweight class as a whole seems to be moving in the direction of slightly smaller, more mobile guys, so perhaps he'd fit right in.  

27 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

That goes both ways though.  Plenty of blue chip recruits that were tweeners have struggled putting on the weight and moving up as well.  

I will say though, the heavyweight class as a whole seems to be moving in the direction of slightly smaller, more mobile guys, so perhaps he'd fit right in.  

It’s so interesting. I’m not completely convinced this will last though. As wrestling becomes more popular, I think AA/champ level guys will be closer to Gable’s size (250+). 

4/8 AAs in 2019 were larger heavyweights 

6 of the top 8 guys in preseason rankings for 2020 are big heavyweights  

its interesting 

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

It’s so interesting. I’m not completely convinced this will last though. As wrestling becomes more popular, I think AA/champ level guys will be closer to Gable’s size (250+). 

4/8 AAs in 2019 were larger heavyweights 

6 of the top 8 guys in preseason rankings for 2020 are big heavyweights  

its interesting 

Gable is an anomaly in that he's big and moves like a 197.  

I was more thinking back to the recent past where there was a run of guys that were just mammoths.  Guys like Nelson, Rey, Bradley, Fox, Ellis, Konrad... 

57 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I agree.  It does go both ways and that is why I said what I did about top notch 215/220 recruits.  It is so hard to gauge what weight class fits best and if either even does. On top of that, I doubt most 215/220's ever really dealt with weight management and that would be a big issue in DI even if they went 285.

44 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I agree.  It does go both ways and that is why I said what I did about top notch 215/220 recruits.  It is so hard to gauge what weight class fits best and if either even does. On top of that, I doubt most 215/220's ever really dealt with weight management and that would be a big issue in DI even if they went 285.

Definitely.  It's a good point.  

I think this particular kid is too good to flame out in whatever weight he chooses.  He's not Snyder/Gable/Lee level, but he barely broke a sweat at Fargo.  

28 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Definitely.  It's a good point.  

I think this particular kid is too good to flame out in whatever weight he chooses.  He's not Snyder/Gable/Lee level, but he barely broke a sweat at Fargo.  

I'm not sure I follow why you don't think Amos is or could be at that level?  Snyder lost at Fargo afterall (to Cox).