Creek chub

Braxton Amos

1 minute ago, treep2000 said:

I'm not sure I follow why you don't think Amos is or could be at that level?  Snyder lost at Fargo afterall (to Cox).  

Perhaps he can be.  I'm a huge fan of the kid, but IMO he's a step below that group. 

Lee and Steveson both won age level world titles at 15, 16, and 17.  Snyder won a junior world title at 17.  It's hardly a slight to say that Amos isn't quite in that tier.  

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

I'm not sure I follow why you don't think Amos is or could be at that level?  Snyder lost at Fargo afterall (to Cox).  

two future world champs in finals at Fargo. wonder how often that has happened?

I live in Northern Va so was well aware of Snyder's exploits in Maryland and beyond. I knew less about Cox and was shocked that there was another HS kid that could beat Snyder. Quickly got up to speed on how good JC was/is.  

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Snyder, Gable and Lee all had muliple junior world medals and each had at least one gold. 

Has Amos made a world team at any level? I don’t recall him making one. 

Junior world medals are an excellent predictor of college success. 

Amos could be a hammer in college, but he hasn’t had the success in high school to suggest he will be as good as those listed 

On 7/18/2019 at 2:59 PM, treep2000 said:

Using the "eyeball" test, Amos resembles Snyder around that same age.  Amos doesn't "look" ripped or "cut".  

With the right nutrition plan, I think 197 could be a reality.  To previous poster's points, going HWT with Kerkvliet already there means that Amos would ride the bench.  Going 197 with Kerk as a training partner, and you may have a Multiple Time High AA/Champ on your hands.

This post doesn't make much sense to me. In what way does he look like Snyder at that age? Snyder has looked almost exactly like he does now since he was a high school freshman. There was never a phase where he didn't look "ripped" or "cut," as you put it. He was also an extremely complete wrestler early on. Amos also doesn't have the same success as Snyder had. His best win is Kirkvliet, but that was before Kirkvliet became Kirkvliet. He was also handled easily by Jacob Warner that year.

Don't get me wrong, Amos is very good, but he's not Snyder good, nor do I think it's a good style (or body since you brought that up) comparison. Snyder was winning Jr Worlds at his age.

I always take upperweight Fargo results with a grain of salt. There have been a lot of upperweights who run through fargo, but don't find the same success in college. The reality is that the upperweights are usually very weak at Fargo because a lot of the top guys in the country also play football and don't show up. Guys like Lance Benick, Sammy Colbray, Mitch Sliga, etc... all looked like unstoppable forces at Fargo every year, but none of them ended up being that transcendent force in college. I think it's better to judge how they do at Cadet and Junior trials where the best of the best show up. Amos didn't make the finals in either Greco or Freestyle at cadets last year down at 92 kg. He lost to Cardenas from Bergen. Snyder only ever lost to Cox, who himself was another transcendent talent, or college athletes, really only Tanner Hall, when he was in high school.

14 hours ago, qc8223 said:

This post doesn't make much sense to me. In what way does he look like Snyder at that age? Snyder has looked almost exactly like he does now since he was a high school freshman. There was never a phase where he didn't look "ripped" or "cut," as you put it. He was also an extremely complete wrestler early on. Amos also doesn't have the same success as Snyder had. His best win is Kirkvliet, but that was before Kirkvliet became Kirkvliet. He was also handled easily by Jacob Warner that year.

Don't get me wrong, Amos is very good, but he's not Snyder good, nor do I think it's a good style (or body since you brought that up) comparison. Snyder was winning Jr Worlds at his age.

I always take upperweight Fargo results with a grain of salt. There have been a lot of upperweights who run through fargo, but don't find the same success in college. The reality is that the upperweights are usually very weak at Fargo because a lot of the top guys in the country also play football and don't show up. Guys like Lance Benick, Sammy Colbray, Mitch Sliga, etc... all looked like unstoppable forces at Fargo every year, but none of them ended up being that transcendent force in college. I think it's better to judge how they do at Cadet and Junior trials where the best of the best show up. Amos didn't make the finals in either Greco or Freestyle at cadets last year down at 92 kg. He lost to Cardenas from Bergen. Snyder only ever lost to Cox, who himself was another transcendent talent, or college athletes, really only Tanner Hall, when he was in high school

Snyder now vs. 18 year Snyder.  Look at pics.  He's a muscle bound freak compared to then. Also, Amos' style is kind of like a lightweight.  Shooting and attacking at a high pace, like Snyder.  I NEVER said he would be the next Snyder.  How that can be interpreted is beyond me.  But... Training with Snyder will make Amos' better.  Hence... My strong suggestion that he should pick tOSU and join that upper weight room.