Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

2019 California H.S. State Champions status

2019 California High School State Wrestling Champions

106 lbs – Richard Figueroa – Selma H.S. - 2019 H.S. Sophomore – Verbally committed to Arizona State

113 lbs – Tristan Lujan – Selma H.S. - 2019 H.S. Junior – Verbally committed to Fresno State

120 lbs – Maximo Renteria – Buchanan H.S. - 2019 H.S. Sophomore - Uncommitted

126 lbs – Aaron Nagao – Esperanza H.S. - 2019 H.S. Junior - Uncommitted

132 lbs – Kyle Parco – De La Salle H.S. - 2019 H.S. Senior – Signed with Fresno State

138 lbs – Jesse Vasquez – Excelsior Charter H.S. - 2019 H.S. Junior – Uncommitted

145 lbs – Jaden Abas – Rancho Bernardo H.S. - 2019 H.S. Senior – Signed with Stanford

152 lbs – Sonny Santiago – St. John Bosco H.S. - 2019 H.S. Junior – Verbally committed to Arizona State

160 lbs – Matthew Olguin – Buchanan H.S. - 2019 H.S. Senior – Signed with Fresno State

170 lbs – Trey Munoz – Trabuco Hills H.S. - 2019 H.S. Senior – Signed with Arizona State

182 lbs – Nathan Haas – St. John Bosco H.S. - 2019 H.S. Junior – Verbally committed to Nebraska

195 lbs – Ryan Reyes – Gilroy H.S. - 2019 H.S. Senior – Signed with Fresno State

220 lbs – Jacob Good – Clovis H.S. - 2019 H.S. Senior – Signed with Arizona State

285 lbs – Michael Jeffus – Turlock H.S. - 2019 H.S. Senior – Uncommitted and undecided as to which sport he will sign to play in college (football or wrestling)

P.S. Corrections welcome

Edited by Bronco

1 hour ago, Wrestlingbcpc said:

Thanks.  Cal- Bakersfield same as when Steven Neal won everything?  I thought they dropped program?  Also, I always thought that was a shame since they have the Clovis powerhouse kids to stay together. 

They saved their program by having to raise 100% of their budget. They have to fundraise and rely on donors to completely fund the program. 

1 hour ago, Wrestlingbcpc said:

Thanks again. Where have I been?  Cuesta, older Abas  (one of all time great)  etc all went thru there I think. Would be great if 8 cal studs stayed together along with a few out of staters.  

Gerry and Stephen Abas wrestled for Fresno St

Some NCAA champs at Cal St Bakersfield besides Neal include the Cuestas brothers, Jesse Reyes, Joe Gonzalez, and John Azevedo. 

Those late 70s/early 80s CSB teams were really good. 

Of these 14 California State champs from 2019 the ones I'm most curious about are:

1. Michael Jeffus (285 lbs) since it's now July and there is still no word on where he's headed for college and for which sport (and he was a H.S. Senior in 2019).  It's weird that there's been no word (as far as I've been able to find) on this since most colleges start their year off in August (next month).

2. Jesse Vasquez (138 lbs) as he is already a three time California State champion and will be going for # 4 next season.   Yet his recruitment appears to be wide open - even tho he's listed as an Ohio State verbal (he is not) by the Cal Grappler website.

1. Jeffus is weird. I have no intel on it. You'd think a single-class state champ would have plenty of wrestling options and announced by now, regardless of his sport decision.

2. Vasquez has not committed. He put out a tweet once that said he was considering. it was vague, but why people took that as official i'll have no idea. intermat too. 

15 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

1. Jeffus is weird. I have no intel on it. You'd think a single-class state champ would have plenty of wrestling options and announced by now, regardless of his sport decision.

2. Vasquez has not committed. He put out a tweet once that said he was considering. it was vague, but why people took that as official i'll have no idea. intermat too. 

One newspaper article on Jeffus - after he upset # 14 ranked (Nationally) Nicholas Villareal in the 2019 CA State championship match - mentioned that  "Jeffus has applied to multiple colleges and been accepted into pretty much all of them including Cal Poly SLO, San Diego State, and UC Davis."   Cal Poly has a wrestling program and a football team.  San Diego State has no wrestling team but does have a football team.   U.C. Davis also has a football team but no wrestling team (not anymore at least).

Edited by Bronco

23 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

1. Totally agree. Went to the state tournament and the kids got a mean streak in him. Definitely some potential there.

2. I'm sure he's not the only one but when somebody puts out a picture of themselves in a college's singlet just to let us know that they are considering them but at the same time giving God all their Glory I sort of dont give a **** anymore. Aren't there some verses in the Bible about being humble not proud? You want to tell us where you're going, okay. We don't care about hearing from you everytime you fart or want to let us know you are still undecided so we dont forget you. And i am only in my early 20's. I can't imagine what a 50 year old thinks.

Willie, you do an outstanding job with the rankings. It's almost an impossible job. And the guy last week who said you had thin skin obviously couldn't be more wrong. You might have the thickest skin in all of wrestling.

Interestingly 4x CA champs haven’t faired all that well at the ncaa level. 

Jeffus was a good football player but he was a little short for college OL (6 ft). Possibly DL however he would be undersized there. Wrestling seemed to be his best bet. 

Vasquez has gone to a couple schools already and seems to be destined to be another Cali stud who burns out after high school.  I wouldn’t recruit him but I wouldn’t recruit many of those Cotton soft Cali kids. 

19 hours ago, Idaho said:

Interestingly 4x CA champs haven’t faired all that well at the ncaa level. 

Jeffus was a good football player but he was a little short for college OL (6 ft). Possibly DL however he would be undersized there. Wrestling seemed to be his best bet. 

How many 4 time CA State champions have there been?   And which of them haven't faired well at the DIV I NCAA level?

I checked the 247Sports Football database and there is no listing at all for Jeffus so I doubt he signed to play football unless it was at a lower level (below Div I that is).   I would have to think his collegiate athletic area would have to be wrestling.  Yet when I have searched the internet there is no mention of him signing anywhere.

P.S. The large scar on his cheek (71 stitches) was the result of an encounter with barbed wire when he was 9 years old and riding a dirt bike.

https://www.frontrowpreps.com/posts/is-jeffus-the-toughest-heavyweight-in-the-section-hes-got-the-scar-to-prove-it

21 minutes ago, Bronco said:

How many 4 time CA State champions have there been?   And which of them haven't faired well at the DIV I NCAA level?

I checked the 247Sports Football database and there is no listing at all for Jeffus so I doubt he signed to play football unless it was at a lower level (below Div I that is).   I would have to think his collegiate athletic area would have to be wrestling.  Yet when I have searched the internet there is no mention of him signing anywhere.

P.S. The large scar on his cheek (71 stitches) was the result of an encounter with barbed wire when he was 9 years old and riding a dirt bike.

https://www.frontrowpreps.com/posts/is-jeffus-the-toughest-heavyweight-in-the-section-hes-got-the-scar-to-prove-it

Maybe I should add “not faired well considering they were 4x champs from a tough one class state” 

Neville who is just staring his career at PSU  won’t start this year and maybe even next  hard to be behind a returning champ who can get 2 more years-  maybe he transfers? 

Vasquez who was an 2x AA (5th and 6th)   Not bad certainly  

Mejia who is at FSU but has had a lot of controversy and has not looked real impressive. 

However California has had many D1 champs and world team members who were not 4x champs.  

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

I haven't seen anything announced or anything but he does have Cal Poly listed in his Instagram profile. Which sport though...

22 hours ago, UTC_Fan said:

1. Totally agree. Went to the state tournament and the kids got a mean streak in him. Definitely some potential there.

2. I'm sure he's not the only one but when somebody puts out a picture of themselves in a college's singlet just to let us know that they are considering them but at the same time giving God all their Glory I sort of dont give a **** anymore. Aren't there some verses in the Bible about being humble not proud? You want to tell us where you're going, okay. We don't care about hearing from you everytime you fart or want to let us know you are still undecided so we dont forget you. And i am only in my early 20's. I can't imagine what a 50 year old thinks.

Willie, you do an outstanding job with the rankings. It's almost an impossible job. And the guy last week who said you had thin skin obviously couldn't be more wrong. You might have the thickest skin in all of wrestling.

It's pretty common these days.  These kids are the first true social media babies... they've never known anything different.  Even just being ~5 years older than them, your experience growing up might have been pretty different. The entire essence of the social media sharing movement is "look at me." 

I try not to blame them too much... just hope they grow out of it. 

15 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

I haven't seen anything announced or anything but he does have Cal Poly listed in his Instagram profile. Which sport though...

I had not seen his Instagram page.  Thanks for mentioning it here.

Looks - to me - as if he will be at Cal Poly judging by his " Cal Poly SLO ‘23" statement, i.e., he plans to be a Cal Poly SLO graduate in 2023.   I HAVE to think this is for wrestling - not for football.  Yet there is no word of this on the Cal Poly wrestling website.  And Jeffus was not mentioned (at all) in the Cal Poly 2019 recruiting class story that was released on May 16, 2019:  

https://www.gopoly.com/sports/wrest/2018-19/releases/20190516oqlk7v

17 hours ago, Bronco said:

There have only been 2.  Darrell Vasquez(Cal Poly SLO) and Justin Mejia.  Jesse Vasquez and Richie Figueroa(ASU commit) are probably going to be the next 4 timers unless something crazy happens.

3 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

There have only been 2.  Darrell Vasquez(Cal Poly SLO) and Justin Mejia.  Jesse Vasquez and Richie Figueroa(ASU commit) are probably going to be the next 4 timers unless something crazy happens. 

Seth Nevills won his 4th in 2018. 

4 hours ago, Bronco said:

I had not seen his Instagram page.  Thanks for mentioning it here.

Looks - to me - as if he will be at Cal Poly judging by his " Cal Poly SLO ‘23" statement, i.e., he plans to be a Cal Poly SLO graduate in 2023.   I HAVE to think this is for wrestling - not for football.  Yet there is no word of this on the Cal Poly wrestling website.  And Jeffus was not mentioned (at all) in the Cal Poly 2019 recruiting class story that was released on May 16, 2019:   

https://www.gopoly.com/sports/wrest/2018-19/releases/20190516oqlk7v

Cal Poly is pretty good about when a commit pops up of saying something, even if they can't say it directly.

Their football recruiting class article doesn't mention him either.

I'd guess he hasn't signed an NLI so they can't talk about him publicly.