Sign in to follow this  
LHU125

RTC's and the NCAA

I've heard rumors that the NCAA would possibly be looking into complete separation of RTC's on college campuses. Apparently the solution to this would be to have completely separate buildings (i.e. DT's M2, Steiber's wrestling academy) or just out right purchasing a building.

I'm curious if other sports have a similar operation to wrestling's RTC's and what are the realistic possibilities that the NCAA pulls the plug on them?

No other sports have a similar operation that I'm aware of.Been rumored for few years now that NCAA was gonna do such a thing but nothing has happened.If it happened buildings would be built across the street from campus and not much would change.

40 minutes ago, justafan said:

No other sports have a similar operation that I'm aware of.Been rumored for few years now that NCAA was gonna do such a thing but nothing has happened.If it happened buildings would be built across the street from campus and not much would change.

It would certainly hurt smaller RTC programs in the long run that may not be able to afford to put up an entirely new building. I personally don't want to see that happen but who knows. 

46 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

It would certainly hurt smaller RTC programs in the long run that may not be able to afford to put up an entirely new building. I personally don't want to see that happen but who knows. 

Coaches from the smaller programs  complaining about it is what got this talk going.I don't want to see it happen either RTC have helped grow the sport 

6 hours ago, justafan said:

I'm curious about this too. The wrestling RTCs are kind of a black box to me and I don't totally understand how they work and comply with the NCAA's rules.

Similar organizations definitely exist in womens' gymnastics, swimming, track, and other sports where the clubs receive funding from club members, fans, and sponsors so their resident athletes can train & compete in events from regional tournaments up to the Olympics. However, I thought even the senior athletes in those sports pay membership dues and a big portion of club funds go towards facilities since sports like swimming, diving, and gymnastics are much more capital-intensive than wrestling - which in its current model seems to piggyback on its college programs' facilities so that more funding can go towards coaching, competition, travel, and a living wage for the athletes.

The fact that the RTCs (non-amateur groups) are aligned so tightly with college programs, with some even taking on the name & brand of their affiliated universities (NLWC, HWC, etc.) is what makes it weird. It would be like the Charlotte Hornets starting a G-League team on the Duke campus. Something like that would never fly with the NCAA. I think track has kind of a similar regional training model for postgraduate athletes (the EDC system) but they remain at arms' length from schools.

There's no doubt that the RTC system has helped the sport in many ways, I just don't really understand how it works and fits alongside NCAA wrestling.

6 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

If they change the rules they should have to pay for the new facility.

That is what I am curious about mainly. You have more and more RTC's that are endowed with millions of dollars, even some of the smaller schools/RTC's. I personally do not think the NCAA will be able to come up with a solution to the disparity. I'm thinking he only real impact they could make would be changes to the NCAA waiver/criteria that RTC athletes have to meet to wrestle with student athletes. Which would be really stupid imo and again coaches would find a work around.   

Was an issue back in the day, but it was "clubs" and the school's varsity team.  Bigtime programs used the clubs to basically have an extra 8-10 post-grad sparring partners in the room until the NCAA mandated that clubs could not practice at the same time/place as the college guys.  There was an issue with Gable and a "curtain" that was used to supposedly separate the HWC and the college wrestlers but my memory is a bit cloudy on the details of that.  Seems that RTCs are a way to circumvent that and other rules, particularly if high school kids are invited to train there (I have kids in my club who train by invitation at a local program--gives the college coaching staff a way to evaluate talent firsthand on an ongoing basis).  Love what the RTCs have done to advance the careers of many great wrestlers, but they present a sticky situation when it comes to their links to college programs.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:10 AM, LHU125 said:

I've heard rumors that the NCAA would possibly be looking into complete separation of RTC's on college campuses. Apparently the solution to this would be to have completely separate buildings (i.e. DT's M2, Steiber's wrestling academy) or just out right purchasing a building.

I'm curious if other sports have a similar operation to wrestling's RTC's and what are the realistic possibilities that the NCAA pulls the plug on them?

I believe Stieber's academy runs out of the new Ohio State room. So, among very few schools that this wouldn't significantly and adversely affect is Penn State? Seems like that defeats the point.