Idaho

Innovative Wrestling Camps

Love what Jason Welch is doing - wrestling/surfing camp. Teaching kids to wrestle on the beach and surf in the same week.  I have also seen some good outdoor/mountain river rafting wrestling camps as well. Coaches getting creative to draw kids. 

Need to bring back Coach Bluebaugh’s Top of the World Camp again.  Live in nature for the week in rustic conditions, nature hike through a poison ivy infested trail, and get some wrestling knowledge under a shelter house from a gold medalist.  Young boys turned into men that week.   Now they want to stay in some air conditioned building with a full service cafeteria and skip morning practice because they were up all night finishing a fortnite tournament. 

Edited by MadMardigain

On 7/10/2019 at 10:16 AM, pamela said:

Haha! A surfing/wrestling camp sounds like the most Jason Welch thing ever. I love it.

It does.

Hope it's not at Ocean Beach (SF) though.  That place is no where to "learn" how to surf or have novices try it.

Then again, it could make them hate it and forever stay out of the water.  Win/Win!

On 7/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, PSUSMC said:

It does.

Hope it's not at Ocean Beach (SF) though.  That place is no where to "learn" how to surf or have novices try it.

Then again, it could make them hate it and forever stay out of the water.  Win/Win!

Santa Cruz....something tells me that's a great post-fargo camp. 

7 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

Learn to wrestle and get to personally shake hands with Ken Chertow, then get to listen to a recording of him calling a match - all in the same camp. Doesn't get any better than this.

Chertow seems to have kind of disappeared compared to a few years ago.  What happened?

On 7/21/2019 at 6:09 PM, AHamilton said:

Chertow seems to have kind of disappeared compared to a few years ago.  What happened?

People figured him out. He exists to make money for Ken Chertow and that’s it. Biggest ego in the game. 

4 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

People figured him out. He exists to make money for Ken Chertow and that’s it. Biggest ego in the game. 

I know that.  You know that.  But do parents?  There are parents and kids who were real kool aid drinkers.

Does the camp even exist anymore? I can't remember the last time I saw an ad.  He seems to have faded away.

I don't think there is anyone else who is willing to A) work his camp B) loan him mats.

That was his whole game plan. It was like multi-level-marketing. Find coaches to work your camp, give them some tiny discount for bringing their kids, like $50 per kid, and now you have essentially free labor and kids attending your camp who would probably not attend otherwise. Same deal with the mats. He would try to borrow mats from clubs, offer them like a $50 discount per wrestler, and now you have a free mat and kids attending that otherwise would not be.