TBar1977

Yasar Dogu 4am Friday (results will be in this thread)

47 minutes ago, nom said:

Wow.  Yianni got his ass kicked first period.  Down 0-9.

comes back to tie 9-9 and stalls the guy out.  Multiple caution points and then done.  50 sec left to go as well.  His opponent was exhausted.

weird match.  It should light a bit of a fire under Yianni though.  First period was bad.

To be fair, I thought some of the points in that huge Musukaev sequence were actually Yianni's, and he wanted to challenge.  Unfortunately, losing the challenge would have cost him the match, but I think he may have actually scored a 4 when they went from standing back to the mat.

in the match with hungarian

the hungarian is in on a shot and yianni is draped over him. the hun comes up and yanni stays draped over him from the front.

I immediately said, oh crap thats 4

in the qualifying match between zain and yanni, zain is in on shot...starts to work around and does, but yanni still has leg. zain stays draped over him from the side...

how are they really that different? they are both draped over the back in what many claimed yanni understood to be bad freestyle position

i just rewatched both situations.

Edited by GockeS

25 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

I think he was questioning the 2 they gave after the 4 was scored. 

that looked pretty clear to me as well live. but i could see that maybe he wasn't exposed after rewatching.

1 hour ago, ToneLoc said:

He came really close to getting tech'd on the no call push out. I guess you can't deliberately "push"? I'm still not there on freestyle rules. I don't have the sound on so maybe they explained during the stream

It wouldn't have been a tech - the score was 9-1. 

49 minutes ago, GockeS said:

its funny, the 4 yanni gave up was eerily similar to the 4 he scored on zain.

yet he didn't think it should have been scored.

Come on. I don't know what he was questioning but nobody from his corner seemed to consider challenging (for good reason). In any event a heat of the moment quizzical look at the ref because you didn't see a scramble you were literally just experiencing the same way as an outsider is not unreasonable. In his QF match against the Azeri, he was trying to lock up a lace and the ref blew the whistle and talked to him about the way he had the guy's ankle, which Yianni didn't seem to quite understand. After he wrapped up the tech, he asked the ref again to explain what he thought was wrong with the hold. It didn't seem arrogant or angry. Yianni didn't necessarily agree with the 4+2 to Musukaev, but he just kept wrestling. 

Musukaev was dead on his feet in the second. He was so winded he got cautioned and docked a point for not returning to center after having already given up a point on a step out. He then challenged a different step out call and cost himself another point on the failed challenge, and it was clear that the only reason his corner challenged was that he was gassed and wanted the recovery time. The third caution was something even the judges didn't want to give but Musukaev literally just backed his knee out of the circle while they were facing each other. They conferred and it sounded like everyone was like "that was egregious. he just backed out!" Musukaev seemed surprised by the call but not *that* surprised. It wouldn't have mattered.

Edited by ugarte

As for Yianni - Zain, that was a great match but the way Zain was limping at the end sucked the joy out of any gloating I had planned. I worry that the arbitration won't matter at all.

16 minutes ago, ugarte said:

As for Yianni - Zain, that was a great match but the way Zain was limping at the end sucked the joy out of any gloating I had planned. I worry that the arbitration won't matter at all.

I think Rob Koll would support, even lawyer up for, delaying Worlds until after Zain is cleared to compete. 

1 minute ago, pamela said:

I think Rob Koll would support, even lawyer up for, delaying Worlds until after Zain is cleared to compete. 

i have no objection. Last possible date is two weeks before worlds.

3 minutes ago, GockeS said:

lions giving out the medals now

oh i guess not

maybe just acting like library guards

they did just give out women's medals but i didn't see which weight

19 minutes ago, GockeS said:

i didn't see either

they just had the 55kg ceremony so lighter than that i guess

65kg bronze now, followed by molinari.

Edited by ugarte

43 minutes ago, ugarte said:

It wouldn't have been a tech - the score was 9-1. 

Come on. I don't know what he was questioning but nobody from his corner seemed to consider challenging (for good reason). In any event a heat of the moment quizzical look at the ref because you didn't see a scramble you were literally just experiencing the same way as an outsider is not unreasonable. In his QF match against the Azeri, he was trying to lock up a lace and the ref blew the whistle and talked to him about the way he had the guy's ankle, which Yianni didn't seem to quite understand. After he wrapped up the tech, he asked the ref again to explain what he thought was wrong with the hold. It didn't seem arrogant or angry. Yianni didn't necessarily agree with the 4+2 to Musukaev, but he just kept wrestling. 

Musukaev was dead on his feet in the second. He was so winded he got cautioned and docked a point for not returning to center after having already given up a point on a step out. He then challenged a different step out call and cost himself another point on the failed challenge, and it was clear that the only reason his corner challenged was that he was gassed and wanted the recovery time. The third caution was something even the judges didn't want to give but Musukaev literally just backed his knee out of the circle while they were facing each other. They conferred and it sounded like everyone was like "that was egregious. he just backed out!" Musukaev seemed surprised by the call but not *that* surprised. It wouldn't have mattered.

I may be wrong, but I thought that 6 point sequence made it 9-0, thus Yianni couldn't risk a challenge.  He then almost gave up a step out, but it was ruled a straight arm push.

In the moment, I thought he initiated the 4 pointer, but I'm nowhere near certain.