Crash

Zain not Learning

He’s been wrestling Freestyle long enough now that he should not be making mistakes that cost him matches.

1. US Open 2017, JO beats him bc Zain cannot grasp the Freestyle hands to the face rule, as well as protect against a “proper throw”.

2. 2018. JO beats Zain again this time due to Zain not being smart enough to give up 2, instead turning his back to JO allowing himself to be slammed for a 5 pt move. AWL.

3. 2019 Dogu. Instead of walking Yianni out of bounds for 1, he stays on his back (guess he was looking for riding time) and gets planted on his back for 4 (5 point swing).

Is this poor coaching or is Zain not that bright?

He will continue to crush guys that he simply outclasses with talent, strength and conditioning, but given his track record, I don’t see how anyone can feel confident in his ability to win big Freestyle marches against elite talent home or abroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Crash said:

He’s been wrestling Freestyle long enough now that he should not be making mistakes that cost him matches.

1. US Open 2017, JO beats him bc Zain cannot grasp the Freestyle hands to the face rule, as well as protect against a “proper throw”.

2. 2018. JO beats Zain again this time due to Zain not being smart enough to give up 2, instead turning his back to JO allowing himself to be slammed for a 5 pt move. AWL.

3. 2019 Dogu. Instead of walking Yianni out of bounds for 1, he stays on his back (guess he was looking for riding time) and gets planted on his back for 4 (5 point swing).

Is this poor coaching or is Zain not that bright?

He will continue to crush guys that he simply outclasses with talent, strength and conditioning, but given his track record, I don’t see how anyone can feel confident in his ability to win big Freestyle marches against elite talent home or abroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simply put Zain is a guy who thinks you just go hard & his opponent will break. That is just not true of the most talented freestylers worldwide. Zain will struggle to ever win a world medal, he’s just not technically savvy enough from what he’s shown thus far. 

He’s a damn good wrestler & tough as nails but he’ll get beat by guys like JO every time on the world/international stage. I actually don’t think he can help himself, it’s built into his philosophy that he’ll grind people down for wins...not a good philosophy when wrestling Russians & Europeans. 

The answer is simple. Yanni is better. Considering Zain is 4 years older than Yanni, I don’t think the ever so narrow gap will be shortened. I think Zain is awesome and it’s bad luck for him that an extremely gifted guy like Yanni is around during his time. 

16 minutes ago, CrewWrestling said:

Simply put Zain is a guy who thinks you just go hard & his opponent will break. That is just not true of the most talented freestylers worldwide. Zain will struggle to ever win a world medal, he’s just not technically savvy enough from what he’s shown thus far. 

He’s a damn good wrestler & tough as nails but he’ll get beat by guys like JO every time on the world/international stage.

I highly doubt this is Zain’s line of thinking. Also Zain beat JO in 2 straight matches so I’m not sure I can trust your logic.

9 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

I highly doubt this is Zain’s line of thinking. Also Zain beat JO in 2 straight matches so I’m not sure I can trust your logic.

No need to trust my logic, we will all get a chance to see it unfold over time. I hold true to my statement, Zain will struggle with guys “like” JO whose wrestling IQ is greater than Zain’s. Especially when he has to wrestle into them from a deficit. I think Zain is a great wrestler, I just don’t believe he has the finesse needed to not over wrestle & make mistakes against solid world level freestylers. That said I’ll always be rooting for him against international competition. 

Edited by CrewWrestling

13 minutes ago, CrewWrestling said:

He’s a damn good wrestler & tough as nails but he’ll get beat by guys like JO every time on the world/international stage. I actually don’t think he can help himself, it’s built into his philosophy that he’ll grind people down for wins...not a good philosophy when wrestling Russians & Europeans. 

Brent Metcalf (and to a lesser extent, Andrew Howe and maybe Tony Ramos) should impart some wisdom unto Zain. Zain may not have the instinct for freestyle like some others do, but he doesn’t exactly have a long history at the senior level and will hopefully with more overseas competition & training. I like having the depth at 65kg in the US, esp if JO may not stick around after 2020 (if he still wants to compete in MMA). 

Well, I am not sure if this thread is being hyper critical, or if some of the points are spot on. Thinking about some of the example mentioned above, I can say that Zain probably thought he would prevail in these situations. However, we all know that he didn't in these aforementioned examples, but I would ask if they have worked in other situations, and perhaps they did. 

It's hard to believe that after all this time Zain is unfamiliar with these situations, but perhaps he is, and he does need more Freestyle experience.Now on the flip side of this, I think we all would agree that Yianni is no ordinary wrestler, and that fact alone should cut Zain a little slack.

Zain is a tremendous talent, so for his sake as well as the benefit of USA Wrestling, we can hope that Zain can find a way to navigate through these situations against World level wrestlers.

As I type this tonight, I have no idea how it will work out between Zain and Yianni, and if it turns out that Zain becomes our number 2 guy going forward, and never beats Yianni again, it's still always better to have a guy who is capable of winning a World/Olympic Title/medal in reserve. We don't have to look to far in our past to see the benefits of having a strong bench, with the examples of Joe Colon, Kyle Dake, and David Taylor just to name a few. 

zain isn't coming out with the throw the kitchen sink mentality nothing to lose mentality he had at final x

zain's achiles heel right now in freestyle is too try to play the cat and mouse game and he is going to lose that style to superior more savvy technical aware international wrestlers who haven't been humping folkstyle on riding time.

let's go take a look at zaintrains loss at ivan yargin. A complete meltdown at the end and lack of playing to win.

zain was more conservative just the other night in comparison to final x. Basically; at final x zain knew he was the underdog and came in with that mentality. He needs to keep it because he is still a long shot to medal at worlds.

zain needs to open up and keep doing stretches and become freestyle savy.  He's a little too stiff out there and folkstyle metcalf. He's working on it, and he looked loose at final x. The more defensive minded he gets in these freestyle matches playing to win by 1 point the more he turns into a stiff guy who wants to ride you. Freestyle is like being a ballerina, not a boxer. 

Edited by alliseeisgold

20 hours ago, LJB said:

how is he going to "release" when yanni has his leg and arm trapped totally holding him off the mat?

Not to mention, it looked like he secured both prior to standing up.

Incredible match IQ from Yianni, not sure Zain had any say in the matter.