Jimmy Cinnabon

Zain should do the right thing

If Yianni wins Dogu, Zain should do the right thing and give his world team spot to Yianni.

Yianni has 2 decisive wins vs Zain's 1 decisive win and 1 effective NC.  Yianni will not win his Final X appeal but if he wins Dogu it will be clear he is the best choice for the US at 65 kg.  Zain should do the right thing and give Yianni his spot.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Unless the World Team Trials match results are overturned,  Zain won the the spot on the World Team and he will and should be our rep, with no regrets. 

Last I checked, the Yassar Dogu was not the US team qualifier. 

Low rating on this fishing post but gonna play along anyway. The athlete with the lesser chance (IMO) at medaling is going to KAZ, but the right athlete is going to KAZ. He won. I don’t like the result (I don’t favor one over the other, really like them both), but bad calls are a part of athletic competition and ZR won the competition that selected the world team. 

10 minutes ago, 77again said:

Unless the World Team Trials match results are overturned,  Zain won the the spot on the World Team and he will and should be our rep, with no regrets. 

Right. Yianni was my pick for the World Team since trials, but Zain won the spot and deserves to go. Also this tournament, despite having a tough field, is technically a tune-up tournament to get our guys more mat time prior to Worlds, so it's not 100% fair to take away too much from it.

I just hope Zain didn't get hurt today. It would be bad for both him and Yianni if he had to sit out of Worlds because of an injury.

2 minutes ago, pamela said:

I just hope Zain didn't get hurt today. It would be bad for both him and Yianni if he had to sit out of Worlds because of an injury.

If Zain is hurt can the US send an alternate? This is strictly a rules question, not a troll or kicking a guy when he's down.

18 minutes ago, 77again said:

The other way of saying Zain won the spot is to say Yianni got screwed...that’s not Zain’s fault but it’s still true. 

yasar dogu is a qualifying tournament... calling it a "warm up" is a bit disingenuous...

until the challenge is heard, neiother of them are officially on the team... if they don't rewrestle it will be a travesty...

if zain is hurt, then yanni will go instead... not sure how that is bad for yanni

3 minutes ago, ugarte said:

If Zain is hurt can the US send an alternate? This is strictly a rules question, not a troll or kicking a guy when he's down.

of course they can... the roster is not set as far as UWW is concerned until they weigh in...

1 minute ago, LJB said:

yasar dogu is a qualifying tournament... calling it a "warm up" is a bit disingenuous...

until the challenge is heard, neiother of them are officially on the team... if they don't rewrestle it will be a travesty...

if zain is hurt, then yanni will go instead... not sure how that is bad for yanni

Bad for Yianni in the sense that I don't think he'd want to win the WT spot that way. He seems like the type who would want to compete and win the spot outright, not have it handed to him.

6 minutes ago, pamela said:

Bad for Yianni in the sense that I don't think he'd want to win the WT spot that way. He seems like the type who would want to compete and win the spot outright, not have it handed to him.

he didn't lose it... it was taken from him by incompetence...

and do you think downey (or any other wrestler/athlete/whatever) would feel bad about competing for a world title in whatever because of any less than ideal circumstance?

that is merely a "fans" point of view... not a competitor's...

Edited by LJB

20 minutes ago, LJB said:

Actually at this point Zain is officially on the team. Not saying that official status can’t change, but he is currently the 65kg team member. In USAW’s release of the roster for Dogu he is listed as one of the eight world team members competing, noting “two time world team member”. 

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Actually at this point Zain is officially on the team. Not saying that official status can’t change, but he is currently the 65kg team member. In USAW’s release of the roster for Dogu he is listed as one of the eight world team members competing, noting “two time world team member”. 

it is under protest... USA can type whatever they want, but, until that protest is finalized one way or the other, the rep is still in doubt...

Like I said...not saying the status can’t change. Just saying the official governing body that creates and executes the selection process has him officially listed as the world team member. So it carries a little more weight than “typing whatever they want”. It actually, officially,  makes it the current status. Coach/athlete/fan disagreement doesn’t change that. 

But anyway...we’re chewing on terms. 

5 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Dumbest ****ing post Ive ever read. Nothing was taken from Yianni and Im a fan. 

really?

the dumbest ever?

the match ended with yanni the winner on the scoreboard... the chairman put up a score that by rule he can not 50 seconds previous... the brick was thrown  to dispute a (non)call at the end of the match... that was not overturned... yanni should have been givien a point on that failed challenge... they go back 50 seconds later in the match to review something by rule they can not... they change the score after the bout had ended which by rule they can not...

it was a procedural nightmare that "ended" with them taking the win away from yanni after it had already been given to him... 

Who gives a rip....

If Zain goes (which I suspect he will) he won't medal. If Yianni goes he has a better shot to medal. 

People shouldn't get so amped up about this one incident....they should be fighting for a better selection process. 

The whole US team selection process is idiotic. If they wrestled through a camp and multiple tournaments where multiple world level coaches from the US could evaluate who was/is better than we wouldn't even be in this predicament. 

But...we still have one tournament as a best 2 out of 3 to see who should represent us. How archaic. 

6 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Dumbest ****ing post Ive ever read. Nothing was taken from Yianni and Im a fan. 

Uh yeah it was & I’m a fan as well...the 2nd match at Final x was highway robbery, Yianni won 8-6. Just because he got screwed doesn’t mean he didn’t win the match. 

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

it is far and away the best selection process... you earn a spot by merit...

the issue is we have incompetent people in positions that can influence the outcome...

Koll isnt going anywhere soon