Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

if zain drops out after it's too late for the US to enter a substitute i'm not sure how that's the same. i also doubt that nlwc would actually do that or that usaw would let them. 

i don't know what the deadline is for the us to name their official entrant, but i suspect in light of zain's injury that yianni will train to be available to sub in regardless of what happens in the arbitration.

weigh in is the deadline...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ugarte said:

if zain drops out after it's too late for the US to enter a substitute i'm not sure how that's the same. i also doubt that nlwc would actually do that or that usaw would let them. 

i don't know what the deadline is for the us to name their official entrant, but i suspect in light of zain's injury that yianni will train to be available to sub in regardless of what happens in the arbitration.

I thought the comment was assuming If .Zain drops out that he does it while there’s still time for Yianni to enter.

 

But yes it is different.  Zain technically already won the spot, Dake hasn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ugarte said:

if zain drops out after it's too late for the US to enter a substitute i'm not sure how that's the same. i also doubt that nlwc would actually do that or that usaw would let them. 

If they were to do that, then it would prove what people already know, from the DT situation, that the NLWC is unamerican. Yianni, knowing their unamericanness, took it apon himself to take zain out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 10:29 AM, TBar1977 said:

A very predictable post from you. 

lol not sure what you mean by that. I'm pretty frustrated with the situation because it went from bad to worse. I think Zain has the potential to do well, but now he's potentially hurt. It was the absolute worst case scenario. Why on Earth was Yianni at this tournament? I'd put the chances of him winning arbitration at 1%, so the only thing he could have done here is limit Zain's opportunities to see international competition for tune up purposes, which he did and much more by injuring him in the process. Yianni couldn't earn enough points to be seeded anyway, so why was he there? If he wants an international tune up, send him to Spain or Poland for those tournaments where he can't potentially hurt Team USA.

If Zain can go, which I expect he will be able to even if he's not 100%, he's gonna go. He won't step aside for Yianni because he's only at 80%, nor would I honestly. What I don't think can be argued is that an injured Zain is not a good option for Team USA. I'm very much on team Zain on this one because he's our guy. Frankly, I don't think the Cornell program has represented themselves well this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

lol not sure what you mean by that. I'm pretty frustrated with the situation because it went from bad to worse. I think Zain has the potential to do well, but now he's potentially hurt. It was the absolute worst case scenario. Why on Earth was Yianni at this tournament? I'd put the chances of him winning arbitration at 1%, so the only thing he could have done here is limit Zain's opportunities to see international competition for tune up purposes, which he did and much more by injuring him in the process. Yianni couldn't earn enough points to be seeded anyway, so why was he there? If he wants an international tune up, send him to Spain or Poland for those tournaments where he can't potentially hurt Team USA.

If Zain can go, which I expect he will be able to even if he's not 100%, he's gonna go. He won't step aside for Yianni because he's only at 80%, nor would I honestly. What I don't think can be argued is that an injured Zain is not a good option for Team USA. I'm very much on team Zain on this one because he's our guy. Frankly, I don't think the Cornell program has represented themselves well this summer.

Yianni was doing what was best for him, and I don't blame him. The weightclass was supposed to be even stronger, so he would have had another opportunity to show he's one of the best in the world if he were to knock off bajrang again. Why go to a weaker tourny when you could push yourself, and still possibly get a gold.

If the NLWC doesn't need to do what is best for team USA, then why should Yianni go to a lesser tournament so their guy can possibly place a little higher.

Edited by Molsen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever has fault with Yianni going to Dogu has to step back a bit and breath.  Calm down.  He is going to make himself better.  Done.

i truly hope Zain’s knee is going to be fine, and soon.  His camp will look out for what is right for him in this situation, just like they did for DT.  All good.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 3:41 AM, alliseeisgold said:

looks like it hurt like a mother. ...could put him out of worlds. Spencer Lee wrestled with a torn acl so the fact that zain was able to move for the last 20 seconds doesn't mean much. Yanni is still very much alive. 

Yanni should still be alive to qualify by finishes the wrestle off with Zain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

lol not sure what you mean by that. I'm pretty frustrated with the situation because it went from bad to worse. I think Zain has the potential to do well, but now he's potentially hurt. It was the absolute worst case scenario. Why on Earth was Yianni at this tournament? I'd put the chances of him winning arbitration at 1%, so the only thing he could have done here is limit Zain's opportunities to see international competition for tune up purposes, which he did and much more by injuring him in the process. Yianni couldn't earn enough points to be seeded anyway, so why was he there? If he wants an international tune up, send him to Spain or Poland for those tournaments where he can't potentially hurt Team USA.

If Zain can go, which I expect he will be able to even if he's not 100%, he's gonna go. He won't step aside for Yianni because he's only at 80%, nor would I honestly. What I don't think can be argued is that an injured Zain is not a good option for Team USA. I'm very much on team Zain on this one because he's our guy. Frankly, I don't think the Cornell program has represented themselves well this summer.

so you are saying that wrestlers with the means to compete should not compete to get better?

zain/dake/taylor can do what's best for them, but yanni can't? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Molsen said:

Yianni was doing what was best for him, and I don't blame him. The weightclass was supposed to be even stronger, so he would have had another opportunity to show he's one of the best in the world if he were to knock off bajrang again. Why go to a weaker tourny when you could push yourself, and still possibly get a gold.

If the NLWC doesn't need to do what is best for team USA, then why should Yianni go to a lesser tournament so their guy can possibly place a little higher.

No doubt going to Dogu was best for Yianni, but it's not what's best for USA. None of our other reserves went to Dogu. Same thing last year. That's because this trip is meant to earn seeding points for the people on the team and work out some kinks before Worlds. Also, Chakaev and Rashidov will both be in Poland for their wrestle off. Yianni could have gotten better competition there if that's really his intent. He had already seen Bajrang. He knew where he stood there. It's pretty clear he and Cornell wanted to show that he was a better option than Zain in order to help their arbitration case. That's great for them, but not for USA because they're still going to lose and now Zain is potentially hobbled and even if he's not, he missed his opportunity for a good tune up.

Obviously, they can't ban him from competing, but it should have been strongly cautioned against and Cornell should have gone elsewhere if he really wanted more international competition. Poland is actually a better opportunity for him because he's guaranteed to have at least 2 top 5 guys in the world in the bracket in Rashidov and Chakaev.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GockeS said:

so you are saying that wrestlers with the means to compete should not compete to get better?

zain/dake/taylor can do what's best for them, but yanni can't? 

Nowhere did I say any of that. Never even mentioned Dake or Taylor. There are other international tournaments, arguably tougher ones, for Yianni to wrestle in as the reserve. The purpose of this tournament is to help the guys on the team.

For the record, I've been incredibly critical of Dake and Taylor this year. Dake should have to wrestle no later than mid-July in my opinion. Taylor should have announced he wasn't going as soon as possible to allow better competition to move to 86 kg. You're going to have to actually address my argument to win here. That was one of the weakest straw men attempts I've seen.

And since you seemed to miss the whole point, it's not about whether Yianni "can" compete at Dogu. Obviously, he can do what he wants. It's whether he "should." And given the results of him doing so, I don't know how you can say that helped team usa, unless he ends up being the guy because he injured Zain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qc8223 said:

It's pretty clear he and Cornell wanted to show that he was a better option than Zain in order to help their arbitration case.

Utter crap.  Do you not understand how arbitration works in this case?  Do you really think that Yianni's representatives are going to bring up the results of some tournament nobody cares about, knowing that it is utterly irrelevant to the case and the arbitrator will ignore it completely?  Maybe they'll mention how hot Yianni's mom is, too, to help their case.

Pretty clear?  You have a Cornell bug up your ass so far that you are seeing cross-eyed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, klehner said:

Utter crap.  Do you not understand how arbitration works in this case?  Do you really think that Yianni's representatives are going to bring up the results of some tournament nobody cares about, knowing that it is utterly irrelevant to the case and the arbitrator will ignore it completely?  Maybe they'll mention how hot Yianni's mom is, too, to help their case.

Pretty clear?  You have a Cornell bug up your ass so far that you are seeing cross-eyed.

https://twitter.com/CPyles8/status/1149654579610447872

Yes, I understand how arbitration works and that this match SHOULDN'T matter for it, but that doesn't mean Cornell isn't going to bring it up. Cornell is going to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Beating Zain definitely doesn't hurt their case, but it might, however small a chance, help their case, so they're going to go with it.

TBar thinks I'm a Penn State hater. You think I'm a Cornell hater. Can't win. For the record, Cornell has been my second favorite team since high school and I had a great experience meeting Koll at a camp. Seemed like a really cool guy. I just don't think their actions this summer have been good for the team. I understand Cornell is going to act in their best interest, but that doesn't mean I can't be frustrated when their best interest is in contradiction to what I believe is the best interest for team usa.  

Edited by qc8223

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, scribe said:

I thought qc was a cornell guy.

I never thought about the mom angle, but that intrigues me.

Yes they are one of the two teams I root for. Apparently, not being blindly loyal means I'm a hater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klehner said:

Utter crap.  Do you not understand how arbitration works in this case?  Do you really think that Yianni's representatives are going to bring up the results of some tournament nobody cares about, knowing that it is utterly irrelevant to the case and the arbitrator will ignore it completely?  Maybe they'll mention how hot Yianni's mom is, too, to help their case.

Pretty clear?  You have a Cornell bug up your ass so far that you are seeing cross-eyed.

It was a ranking tournament, which Yianni won. It will be on their minds and he will win arbitration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

qc - I get wanting all parties to act in the interest of others.  Noble thought.  If all had that attitude, things could be better.  

Still - Yianni went to a tourney that he thought could help (Bajrang was expected).  I doubt he felt like him going harmed the team.   The rest of the team was there, the team infrastructure was there.  Many reasons to go to Dogu.

You mentioned seeding points.  Is it your belief that if Zain won the tournament he would have earned enough seeding points to be seeded at worlds?

If this is not the case, it isn’t relevant.  

If it is the case - I would put forward that Yianni could have the same goal.  

I feel like you are trying to find issue.  Yianni feels he is still in college tension to go to the world championships.  He’s doing what he needs to do to go and to win.  I think it is silly to hold that against him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Nowhere did I say any of that. Never even mentioned Dake or Taylor. There are other international tournaments, arguably tougher ones, for Yianni to wrestle in as the reserve. The purpose of this tournament is to help the guys on the team.

For the record, I've been incredibly critical of Dake and Taylor this year. Dake should have to wrestle no later than mid-July in my opinion. Taylor should have announced he wasn't going as soon as possible to allow better competition to move to 86 kg. You're going to have to actually address my argument to win here. That was one of the weakest straw men attempts I've seen.

And since you seemed to miss the whole point, it's not about whether Yianni "can" compete at Dogu. Obviously, he can do what he wants. It's whether he "should." And given the results of him doing so, I don't know how you can say that helped team usa, unless he ends up being the guy because he injured Zain.

the purpose is to help guys on the team... is yanni not on the team?

this whole...only certain guys 'should' go... to me is useless.

we wonder why we aren't good at freestyle... the whole folk kills freco argument...

well, this would be why... we dont have guys going and competing when there are tourneys.

I think EVERYONE that can, should go.

injuries happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tbert said:

I dont think #2 should be practicing or wrestling  against #1 after the selection process.  Too much to gain or lose depending on the participant.

i see a pattern in your thinking.

when do we see the post where you actually claim to have proof he tried to hurt him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...