JBluegill133

Yianni/Schultz comparison?

Could Yianni be this generations Dave Schultz?

Now bear with me, I completely understand that his senior level results are nowhere near Dave's, and I am not predicting them to be.  What I loved learning about Dave (too young to ever see him compete and fully grasp what I was seeing) is how much he was loved by other countries and how respectful he was when interacting with international wrestlers and coaches.  Each documentary I have watched talks about how much of a figure he was and an ambassador for USAWrestling.  I will fully admit I am not sure if this is how he really is, but each interview/flo video I see of yianni he seems to be so upbeat, genuine, and kind.  I see no sense of arrogance or showmanship, just a great wrestler who is thankful for every chance he gets to be on the mat.  In this day and age of the "Look at me" tough guy routine, its a breath of fresh air to see someone humble representing our country.  Out of everything...all the success that usa is having right now,  this is what makes me most proud.  Just my two cents as I'm waiting for Dogu finals.  Thoughts?

My club coach worked with Dave for years, so I’ve heard hundreds of amazing stories of him overseas. I think you’re right, they have a remarkable and deep respect for the sport and wrestling cultures over the world. Dave learned multiple languages to basically make friends and learn wrestling, and I could definitely see Yianni do things like that.

That said, the difference is that Dave would try to end your life or career when he was on the mat, in a viscous way I’ve never seen from Yianni. Also, Yianni is a billion times better of an athlete than Dave, who basically had to win by executing every technique perfectly and, again, brutally in order to win.

Both absolute treasures in the sport, imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

No comparison.  It’s too hard to rip someone’s head off from a front headlock without Triceps. 

True, but Schultz was no physical specimen either. He was more of a Mark Ruffalo type (when not playing Hulk).

Considering he was Mark’s full brother, I highly doubt Dave was an average man. I bet he was freaky strong.

I agree you would think so, but Coach Demeo swore up and down that Dave was in the bottom 25% of athletes he ever worked with.

7 hours ago, JBluegill133 said:

Could Yianni be this generations Dave Schultz?

Now bear with me, I completely understand that his senior level results are nowhere near Dave's, and I am not predicting them to be.  What I loved learning about Dave (too young to ever see him compete and fully grasp what I was seeing) is how much he was loved by other countries and how respectful he was when interacting with international wrestlers and coaches.  Each documentary I have watched talks about how much of a figure he was and an ambassador for USAWrestling.  I will fully admit I am not sure if this is how he really is, but each interview/flo video I see of yianni he seems to be so upbeat, genuine, and kind.  I see no sense of arrogance or showmanship, just a great wrestler who is thankful for every chance he gets to be on the mat.  In this day and age of the "Look at me" tough guy routine, its a breath of fresh air to see someone humble representing our country.  Out of everything...all the success that usa is having right now,  this is what makes me most proud.  Just my two cents as I'm waiting for Dogu finals.  Thoughts?

I had a flash of that thought watching him this week too. 

He seems to be a wrestler that can trick and out think you, and that is an attribute of Dave. 

I’m 35 so I might be mischaracterizing Dave, but it seems both of them score in situations that are often stalemated. Dake is similar in this way, but Yianni’s personality approaches Dave more so than Dake. 

5 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I agree you would think so, but Coach Demeo swore up and down that Dave was in the bottom 25% of athletes he ever worked with.

am i wrong to think that makes him more like yanni?

am i wrong to think that makes him more like yanni?

I think Yianni is an amazing athlete. Dave likely developed bone crushing grip simply front constantly wrestling, but I don’t think he ever moved as fast as Yianni can. A 200 degree split seems out of the question also haha

7 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Man, it was a long time ago on one of the older forums, but someone of considerable accomplishment had a story of wrestling a very young high school Dave Schultz, and he was extremely impressed at how very strong DS was at that time.

Dave took 3rd at the NCAA's as a freshman wrestling for Oklahoma State.  Lost to an animal named Mark Churella.  For a shot of giggle juice who can name the 3 Oklahoma State wrestlers that had victories over Dave?

39 minutes ago, Peso said:

Dave took 3rd at the NCAA's as a freshman wrestling for Oklahoma State.  Lost to an animal named Mark Churella.  For a shot of giggle juice who can name the 3 Oklahoma State wrestlers that had victories over Dave?

Sheets, Monday, and ?

Yep, Ricky pinned him in the finals with a carry.

He beat Mike on criteria in the finals.  That was no easy task.

Kenny was something like 8-1 career against him.  Sheesh, we were good at the world level back then, and then it seems like it fell off for quite a while until a strange brew of some combination of Zadick and Zeke and this current group, and our OTC developing studs came together.

I love Dave.  I was at his weight at the Great Plains in Lincoln Nebraska when he defeated the defending OW from the NCAA Championships, Chuck Yagla in the GP Finals...while he was a senior in high school.  He had also had a silver medal at Tbilisi, which was considered the toughest tournament in the world, not to mention the US Open greco-roman championship as a senior in high school.  We all thought he would be the first 4-time NCAA Champion, and I'm super impressed with anyone that ever beat him.  To consider the Schultz, vs Monday, Sheets, Stewart trio all from one school is mind boggling.

Edited by Peso

I wasn't great friends with Coach Chesbro, but a couple of times I sat with him and had a few ice cold beers down at the Blue Room bar in Stillwater.  I don't remember us talking about him not recruiting Mark.   I wrestled for Tommy for 2 years, but this was 15 years later.  Anyway, I was a scrub, but I could look pretty good when I out weighed my partners 10 or 15 pounds.  I left the year before Dave arrived.  Paul Martin, whom I believe is one of the best Cowboys to never win a title, Lee Roy Smith, Steve Barrett, Eric Wais, Jimmy Jackson, Billy Martin, John Azevedo (before he and Joe Gonzales transferred to Bakersfield) were the studs in the room.  It was just as Dan Gable and the Hawkeyes were starting their dynasty, but the Sooners with Abel and Humphries coaching were damned good with the Schultz Brothers and Metzger, Nelson and Chaid, Douglass and Frizell, etc.  I have wondered a few times how it would have changed the balance of power if both Schultz brothers would have been in Stillwater.  Stewart and Sheets were the equal to Dave's points, but Mark would have been a big net plus in NCAA points.  In my opinion, those days with the Schultz, and Banachs, and Monday, Smith, Sheets, the Brands bros., etc.  was a 10-12 year period that compared with what we are seeing now as far as our world level senior wrestlers.  If we continue this for another Olympic Cycle after Tokyo, I will believe we are the best we have ever been.  For now, it's close enough to call it similar.

5 hours ago, Peso said:

Correct.  Tommy wouldn't recruit Mark so Dave left.  Mark if memory serves me only wrestled one year in h.s. and coach obviously made a mistake.

wow

i guess i didn't think of it like that... he was a gymnast correct?