Jump to content

Recommended Posts

First NCAA title he moved up to take out 2 time defending champ

Junior year took out the NCAA champ who beat him in the finals his freshman year. 

Senior took out junior bronze and U23 silver medalist. 

Pretty stiff level of “no competition”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
First NCAA title he moved up to take out 2 time defending champ

Junior year took out the NCAA champ who beat him in the finals his freshman year. 

Senior took out junior bronze and U23 silver medalist. 

Pretty stiff level of “no competition”

What's their world rankings? Dean? Martin? I couldn't find their Senior Results anywhere?

 

How about domestically? What's their position on the US Team Ladder?

 

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nickal is a super stud.  The no competition comment is not right.
I wish he had taken the 86kg route this year.  I still don't get why he didn't.  
Who has he beaten?

Other than folkstyle age group wrestlers? Hayden Zillmer? Who else?

What are his Senior Level accomplishments?



Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Just like in college he benefits from having no competition in his weight.

This is what I was referring to.  He had plenty of real competition in college.

Edit to answer your question (I don't want to be like TBar) - Nickal does not have a deep freestyle resume.  Agreed.  I'm discussing his college victories.  Very impressive and very dominating.  

I think he will evolve and be very very good at freestyle.  Will he represent team USA at world championships or Olympics?  I can see it happening but I would not think so before 2021.

Edited by nom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

What's their world rankings? Dean? Martin? I couldn't find their Senior Results anywhere?

 

How about domestically? What's their position on the US Team Ladder?

 

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

The post I quoted and responded to said simply “benefitted from not having any competition in college”. Would you like to stick to the subject I’m speaking to when quoting me, or are you trying to make your argument by going a different direction?

Edit: my apologies as I just saw that I didn’t in fact quote that post.  But if you’ve read the thread not too hard to figure out what I was responding to.  

 

 

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cjc007 said:

Who has he beaten?

Other than folkstyle age group wrestlers? Hayden Zillmer? Who else?

What are his Senior Level accomplishments?



Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
 

I haven’t seen a person ITT arguing that he’s “accomplished” at the senior level. Not one. Get off this strawman. Learn that there is a difference between one’s  accomplishments - I.e where he/she should be ranked, and how good of a wrestler they might actually be based on other factors. 

A “loss” isn’t a loss. The fact remains that he looked far better against Cox than anyone did at YD and maybe even last year’s Worlds. Add in the fact he weighed in 10lbs under, and that’s enough to make an argument that he could be a a top guy at 86 and potentially 92. 

 

Edited by AZ_wrestling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Who has he beaten?

Other than folkstyle age group wrestlers? Hayden Zillmer? Who else?

What are his Senior Level accomplishments?



Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
 

Clearly nobody ranked higher. Neither had Yianni until a few months ago. 

I don’t think Bo has a shot at medaling above 86kg and we don’t know how good he is against the best in the world, but it is reasonable to speculate that he is competitive with them. I’m not as confident in that as some here but it isn’t that outlandish. The American system recently has produced excellent guys who transition well from folkstyle. Bo has multiple world medalists to train with around his weight too. I doubt they are smashing him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I haven't read this whole thread, but as some have alluded to... I wouldn't favor Nickal to win this at all

Depends on who shows up.  I think it's very likely that at least one of Zubairov, Tsakulov, and/or Mohebbi will enter.  I might favor him over Zubairov, but on paper he's an underdog vs. all three.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ugarte said:

Bo Nickal didn't tech Woodley to go to U23 but he won 12-4, 8-2 and I literally don't think he broke a sweat. Still don't think he beats Cox or Snyder.

Yeah he was never going to lose to Woodley but.... on the whole that doesn't mean much.
In no way do I "hate"  Bo, the kid is a killer.
but the world is a big place, U23's have proven to be a very tough tournament, he's new to this level of competition.
I think he medals, but I feel bronze.
As far as his chances vs Cox and Snyder... I mean they are top guys in the whole world, of course they are low.
The rousing debate broke out before the Cox match because people don't like Cox. Nobody wanted to accept the fact that Cox was #1 in the World, and nobody had "crushed" him, since he broke on to the senior stage, I'm not sure what they were wanting out of Bo.
Bo (I'm a big fan) but U23's is the appropriate level of competition... Hell I'm a HUGE Yainni fan, but when asked recently if he would want to go U23's and he said he felt it was a step down in competition and that's not what he needed in building for the Olympics.... I was like whoa there big guy. Feelin yourself a little too much, have some perspective.

Anyway. u23's
Give me
Pantaleo
Berge
Nickal and Kerk
to all bring home medals.  (not real confident but they all could snag a bronze, reckon i expect the most out of Nickal)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah he was never going to lose to Woodley but.... on the whole that doesn't mean much.
In no way do I "hate"  Bo, the kid is a killer.
but the world is a big place, U23's have proven to be a very tough tournament, he's new to this level of competition.
I think he medals, but I feel bronze.
As far as his chances vs Cox and Snyder... I mean they are top guys in the whole world, of course they are low.
The rousing debate broke out before the Cox match because people don't like Cox. Nobody wanted to accept the fact that Cox was #1 in the World, and nobody had "crushed" him, since he broke on to the senior stage, I'm not sure what they were wanting out of Bo.
Bo (I'm a big fan) but U23's is the appropriate level of competition... Hell I'm a HUGE Yainni fan, but when asked recently if he would want to go U23's and he said he felt it was a step down in competition and that's not what he needed in building for the Olympics.... I was like whoa there big guy. Feelin yourself a little too much, have some perspective.

Anyway. u23's
Give me
Pantaleo
Berge
Nickal and Kerk
to all bring home medals.  (not real confident but they all could snag a bronze, reckon i expect the most out of Nickal)

I can't disagree with Yianni, he is on another level in FS compared to Bo right now, he just beat Bajrang and won Dogu. I already feel that U23 is a step down in competition from Juniors. For a guy who is almost there in Seniors, U23 is not such a big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Axe_Spartan said:

I can't disagree with Yianni, he is on another level in FS compared to Bo right now, he just beat Bajrang and won Dogu. I already feel that U23 is a step down in competition from Juniors. For a guy who is almost there in Seniors, U23 is not such a big deal. 

I mean he did tech last years runner up but last years winner at his weight was Higuchi who needed late match heroics to even make the finals.
There were a slew of other solid senior level guys there.
I don't see how training in your room is somehow superior to: going to a  world level tournament and competing in early November.
Or is there some other tournament that provides tougher competition you don't have to qualify for?

 

Edited by spladle08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I mean he did tech last years runner up but last years winner at his weight was Higuchi who needed late match heroics to even make the finals.
There were a slew of other solid senior level guys there.
I don't see how training in your room is somehow superior to: going to a  world level tournament and competing in early November.
Or is there some other tournament that provides tougher competition you don't have to qualify for?

All I think he meant is that Zain, JO, Molinaro - his American competition at the Senior level - is better than what he'd see at U23. As you pointed out, Yianni wrecked the Azeri who took silver at U23. He may not be ready to win gold at Senior - Beat the Streets notwithstanding - but I can see him preferring to skip U23 even though I'd rather he went. On the other hand, glad to see Eierman go too. Got to respect Yianni's only college L.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ugarte said:

All I think he meant is that Zain, JO, Molinaro - his American competition at the Senior level - is better than what he'd see at U23. As you pointed out, Yianni wrecked the Azeri who took silver at U23. He may not be ready to win gold at Senior - Beat the Streets notwithstanding - but I can see him preferring to skip U23 even though I'd rather he went. On the other hand, glad to see Eierman go too. Got to respect Yianni's only college L.

Yeah, I mean I would consider him the favorite over the guys I would expect to go, but in the same breath, I would be surprised if Eierman made the finals.
I see  you said you'd also like to see him go. I just think any opportunity to compete against "top" level foreign competition our guys should take.
Russia, Iran, Japan, Azerbaijan, Georgia... will also send good athletes.
Obviously to each their own, but I wish he was going.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah, I mean I would consider him the favorite over the guys I would expect to go, but in the same breath, I would be surprised if Eierman made the finals.
I see  you said you'd also like to see him go. I just think any opportunity to compete against "top" level foreign competition our guys should take.
Russia, Iran, Japan, Azerbaijan, Georgia... will also send good athletes.
Obviously to each their own, but I wish he was going.


 

I would think Yianni is not going to U23 b/c he still thinks he is going to Kazahkstan. Also, his teammate Tucker had a u23 spot but declined it b/c it interferes with school. Yianni might feel the same unless he is taking an Olympic redshirt, which he might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has been asked and answered previously, but was Nickal locked into 92kg for the U23 challenge since that is the weight he went for WTT? Or did he have the option to go 86 or 97 (the next weight above or below his WTT weight)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure if you search it(not condescending) you'll see the question asked several times and the answer is/was that he could choose where to challenge.  Final X berth gave him that right.

He could have challenged Berge for 74kg for all anyone cared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Pretty sure if you search it(not condescending) you'll see the question asked several times and the answer is/was that he could choose where to challenge.  Final X berth gave him that right.

He could have challenged Berge for 74kg for all anyone cared.

Adds an element for the Bo should have gotten a shot at Downey people.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bo seemed completely disinterested in Woodley.  Did more than enough to win, but did not seem to care beyond that. Will be interesting to see how he stacks at U23.  There are always top international talents that make a lot of noise on the senior level at universities/u23.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Bo seemed completely disinterested in Woodley.  Did more than enough to win, but did not seem to care beyond that. Will be interesting to see how he stacks at U23.  There are always top international talents that make a lot of noise on the senior level at universities/u23.

Bo's a gamer; a big match performer. The bigger the stakes, the better he is. And that highlights the greatness of j'den cox and jordan burroughs. In the team trials we get to see matchups of "gamer" vs gamer" and see who is the bigger clutch performer

David Taylor actually has a history of taking on all challenges and winning the toughest matches - bumped up in high school to take on palmer, beat steiber, etc etc. The bigger the match, the better he was. Then he gets outgamed by Kyle Dake, making you think he is the biggest gamer of all time. 

Then Dake and Taylor both get owned by and pay property tax to Cox and Burroughs. Now add Bo Nickall to the list.

Cox and Burroughs are beating guys who are in all other times, historically talented and clutch primetime performers. Just tells you how historic cox and burroughs are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think maybe people are not fully bought into just how good a lot of our #2's are. It is almost like we only have one guy who people think can medal which means if our number 2 can't start then "they aren't ready for the big stage".  It simply isn't true anymore.  I picked Cox to beat nickal and  didn't think there was much of a chance for any other result.  However, that doesn't mean Bo isn't world class or couldn't medal.  I think he is that good.  He just happens to have to beat out the best guy in the world to get his shot. So if he is top 5 that isn't good enough to make the world team.  It does not mean however that he can't beat some of the best in the world.  Same with I-mar, zahid, hall, ringer, Gable, etc. I think a lot of those guys could make noise on the world stage.  They just can't break into the team right now... (Still waiting on ringer)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...