littlepun

Official Striking Wrestler at Fargo

After seeing a post on social media, I watched Bout #1305, Junior Freestyle 152.  The Ohio kid jaws at the official at the end of the match.  The official then open hand strikes the Ohio wrestler in the chest/shoulder area.  The strike is not super hard, but it is hard enough to be heard on video.  This is clearly completely inappropriate.  I hope USA Wrestling deals with this. 

Capture.JPG

It also appeared that the official wanted to give the coach a yellow card for sticking up for his kid.

SamStall365247 He didn't tell the kid to cut his hair matside, so he will be back again.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6280615-2019-usmc-cadet-and-junior-national-championships/videos?playing=6533267&limit=60

There's the link to the video. Hepner was on the wrong end of a few questionable calls...He started jawing at the ref before the end of the first and then again at the end of the match. He probably shouldn't have been spouting off but he didn't seem to be threatening in a way that deserved an open hand push/punch by the ref. Ref should at least be suspended if not banned completely...glad the situation wasn't worse than it could have been.

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I don’t have the Flo sub, would love to see the video and wonder if there’s any audio on what the kid said to him.  

You can't make out what he says in the audio. But, my lip reading tells me that he called him a "terrible referee."  I might have called him a lot worse. Not taking anything away from Lee, but he should have only scored 4 points based on the action from the match.  There were 6 points off a leg lace when the ref let Lee work for 20 seconds before he was able to lock up the lace. The takedown was with 46 seconds left in the 1st and they never got back to their feet. The first takedown in the 2nd was also not a takedown  because Hepner had Lee's foot the entire time.

We have lots of experience with this official. He is never very good, and is consistently verbally abusive to the wrestlers. He also bullies the younger officials into changing their calls.

Didn't think the wait on the lace was terrible but I thought there was an extra two given. The first takedown in the second period should have been a whistle, I guess, but I don't know how you tell Gilman that. The slap should have gotten the ref sent home. Good for the coach for immediately getting up and defending his kid.

16 hours ago, littlepun said:

You can't make out what he says in the audio. But, my lip reading tells me that he called him a "terrible referee."  I might have called him a lot worse. Not taking anything away from Lee, but he should have only scored 4 points based on the action from the match.  There were 6 points off a leg lace when the ref let Lee work for 20 seconds before he was able to lock up the lace. The takedown was with 46 seconds left in the 1st and they never got back to their feet. The first takedown in the 2nd was also not a takedown  because Hepner had Lee's foot the entire time.

We have lots of experience with this official. He is never very good, and is consistently verbally abusive to the wrestlers. He also bullies the younger officials into changing their calls.

delete

Edited by Lurker