Jump to content
littlepun

Official Striking Wrestler at Fargo

Recommended Posts

If the referee aka the adult would have calmly warned or penalized an unsportsmanlike penalty.  Thus the fear of a dq would have prevented anything from escalating, imo.  What he did could have caused a lot of people to lose their minds.  Makes you appreciate good officiating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Didn’t those great chieftains drive out (aka slaughter) other tribes that were previously living on the lands they inhabited?  And those tribes wiped out other tribes who wiped out the Neanderthals who wiped out various hominids etc.  So by your logic- Everyone is a foreigner except the original single celled organisms that lived 4 billion years ago. 

But hey, don’t let reality get in the way of a good self loathing narrative which creates an odd feeling of moral superiority.

 

If you're going to condescend, it may help to know what you're talking about.

Anatomically modern humans are believed to have crossed a now undersea land bridge during the last ice age (~10K-15K years ago), unsurprisingly to escape colder climates.  Neanderthals and other extinct hominids never existed in North America, and as far as science is aware, never spread beyond Africa and Europe.

That said, although I agree that characterizing native tribes as noble savages is idiotic, only the Anasazi are known to have been completely wiped out prior to European colonization, and we don't really know what happened to them.  Similarly, the Mayans disappeared from South America around the same time (900-1100 AD), due to equally unknown causes.  Of course, for such a relatively advanced civilization to disappear so quickly, some sort of violence was likely responsible.

Regardless, with the potential exception of the Anasazi, North American tribes simply didn't need to, and probably couldn't, wipe each other out.  Most were nomadic, at least to an extent (which is why the US Army had such difficulty wiping out the Sioux), and since there was always more than enough good land to go around, there wasn't a pressing need.

The arrival of Cortez in Vera Cruz obviously changed all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spladle said:

No one is saying he deserves to die.

seriously. i just think he should have been suspended for the tournament immediately with potential further suspension after an investigation. and the kid, who clearly said the words "terrible referee" probably should have had some consequence - forfeit out of wrestlebacks maybe? - but I don't know how you give a kid formal discipline after he's been slapped by an overzealous ref.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ugarte said:

seriously. i just think he should have been suspended for the tournament immediately with potential further suspension after an investigation. and the kid, who clearly said the words "terrible referee" probably should have had some consequence - forfeit out of wrestlebacks maybe? - but I don't know how you give a kid formal discipline after he's been slapped by an overzealous ref.

Obviously my comment was hyperbole.  I agree with your recommended consequences but I think we're in the minority - seems most people think the guy should never ref again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 12:17 AM, whaletail said:

 

Neanderthals and other extinct hominids never existed in North America, and as far as science is aware, never spread beyond Africa

I believe the current scientific consensus is that your existence proves otherwise.

Edited by Cradle1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 2:45 PM, simple said:

This isn’t even historically accurate 

It wasn’t intended as a historical research paper for a graduate level class but just a pushback to a phony narrative. Human history is a terrible thing in many cases and that universal- bloodshed, slavery,  Hell even cannibalism-  these evils have been perpetrated by all races and on all continents so the relentless, agenda driven vilification that is so fashionable today is beyond ridiculous.

Edited by Cradle1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

It wasn’t intended as a historical research paper for a graduate level class but just a pushback to a phony narrative. Human history is a terrible thing in many cases and that universal- bloodshed, slavery,  Hell even cannibalism-  these evils have been perpetrated by all races and on all continents so the relentless, agenda driven vilification that is so fashionable today is beyond ridiculous.

The intention was politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×