littlepun

Official Striking Wrestler at Fargo

2 hours ago, justafan said:

The reason I said he's a foreigner was because they actually do things way different then we do.Was just on a couple week trip around Europe I saw many kids being smacked and spanked in public.The rest of the world lives a little different then we do.What he did was wrong in our society no doubt.

Got it... that makes sense.  I hope you had a ball in Europe. Sorry I jumped on that.

1 hour ago, leshismore said:

Got it... that makes sense.  I hope you had a ball in Europe. Sorry I jumped on that.

I didn't explain myself well the first time so that's my fault as well.Europe was awesome can't wait until next summer to go back.

11 hours ago, leshismore said:

The Xenophobia and fear / hatred of "the foreigner" is quite odd.  

It doesn't matter where he is from. Plenty of "American" refs do bad things.

Unless your name is Bidziil, Chaska, Sitting Bull, Running Bear, or Chayton... you are all foreigners.

Didn’t those great chieftains drive out (aka slaughter) other tribes that were previously living on the lands they inhabited?  And those tribes wiped out other tribes who wiped out the Neanderthals who wiped out various hominids etc.  So by your logic- Everyone is a foreigner except the original single celled organisms that lived 4 billion years ago. 

But hey, don’t let reality get in the way of a good self loathing narrative which creates an odd feeling of moral superiority.

Edited by Cradle1

On 7/16/2019 at 9:53 AM, justafan said:

The reason I said he's a foreigner was because they actually do things way different then we do.Was just on a couple week trip around Europe I saw many kids being smacked and spanked in public.The rest of the world lives a little different then we do.What he did was wrong in our society no doubt.

Kid acts up, now is the time to correct it.  Not some other time.  Our society allows this kind of behavior with no negative consequences.  If the ref all out wailed on the kid, that would be a different matter in my mind.  I have not seen it, just going by descriptions.  I'm not hearing where the ref was way out of line.  If I was the kid's coach, he'd have been off the mat at that instant and he'd be sitting out and not wrestling for a few weeks so he could think about it.  We are entirely too lenient with this type of behavior.  Just my opinion. 

mspart

14 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Didn’t those great chieftains drive out (aka slaughter) other tribes that were previously living on the lands they inhabited?  And those tribes wiped out other tribes who wiped out the Neanderthals who wiped out various hominids etc.  So by your logic- Everyone is a foreigner except the original single celled organisms that lived 4 billion years ago. 

But hey, don’t let reality get in the way of a good self loathing narrative which creates an odd feeling of moral superiority.

Cradle, cradle, cradle... put down the pipe please... unless it's a Peace Pipe.

6 minutes ago, LJB said:

what is worse?

a teenager that talks on the mat?

a ref who puts his hands on a wrestler?

or someone who offers a self-righteous opinion on something they haven't even seen?

All of the above :-)

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Kid acts up, now is the time to correct it.  Not some other time.  Our society allows this kind of behavior with no negative consequences.  If the ref all out wailed on the kid, that would be a different matter in my mind.  I have not seen it, just going by descriptions.  I'm not hearing where the ref was way out of line.  If I was the kid's coach, he'd have been off the mat at that instant and he'd be sitting out and not wrestling for a few weeks so he could think about it.  We are entirely too lenient with this type of behavior.  Just my opinion.  

mspart

"I haven't seen it...."

It really is not too hard to see it. 

"I'm not hearing where the ref was way out of line." 

Listen to me say it:  The ref was WAY out of line.

I really hope that you are just a fan and have nothing to do with coaching kids.

14 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

This isn’t even historically accurate 

I saw it and I was severely underwhelmed. 
Ref needs to calm down, that's all...
Yall stop acting like he knocked the kid down and kicked in his teeth.
If your coaches, parents, school teachers, never grabbed you that hard  at some point in your life..... well maybe you went to a private school, cause lord knows it was common place out here in Oklahoma :)

Yeah yeah, the ref is a monster.... don't be a ween. 

@mspart
You're on point, the kid is talking **** to the ref, and the ref kind of gives him the open hand push to the shoulder to say "Hey Mthr Fckr we aint doing that, I'm the official and you're listening to me"
Fckn keyboard warriors unite.... "it's a child, somebody protect him from this big bad ref..."....
Its not a child it's an "a$$hole who needed to be snapped back into reality that that's not acceptable"

Edited by spladle08

you can stand by your "assessment" all you want, but, it does not make the ref's actions any more appropriate... 

would it have been ok if same ref did that to a 6 year old kid who was throwing a fit after a loss?

my guess is not one person would say that was acceptable...

so what makes it acceptable because the kid is a teenager?

fact is, an official in any sport has an expectation to handle themselves in a totally above board manner precisely because of the position of influence... 

furthermore, they already have procedures set in place to deal with this type of behavior and not one of those procedures involves striking an athlete...

@LJB  lol I'm not saying, "All Refs should put their hands on athletes regardless of age and/or situation"
What am I am saying is "this was an isolated incident, with a more than physically capable individual going unharmed by an officials actions"
Should the official have abstained from doing anything at all? Of course....
Was it a big deal at all? Not in the least.....

Yes refs should NEVER touch athletes, it keeps them from being responsible for injury or interference with the final result.

Nobody was injured, the match result didn't change.... The kid was being  a Richard and the ref gave him a little shove to get his attention and all hell broke loose.
To answer your question a step further,  if my 9 year old was being  a little a$$hole and the ref pushed his shoulder with force (obviously scaled back for his like 75lb body) and said "There's going to be none of that".... I'd be ok with it.

People these days, I swear, more sensitive than a.... (insert anything)
The ref should've got a "talking to" at worst.

Edited by spladle08

19 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I saw it and I was severely underwhelmed. 
Ref needs to calm down, that's all...
Yall stop acting like he knocked the kid down and kicked in his teeth.
If your coaches, parents, school teachers, never grabbed you that hard  at some point in your life..... well maybe you went to a private school, cause lord knows it was common place out here in Oklahoma :)

Yeah yeah, the ref is a monster.... don't be a ween. 

@mspart
You're on point, the kid is talking **** to the ref, and the ref kind of gives him the open hand push to the shoulder to say "Hey Mthr Fckr we aint doing that, I'm the official and you're listening to me"
Fckn keyboard warriors unite.... "it's a child, somebody protect him from this big bad ref..."....
Its not a child it's an "a$$hole who needed to be snapped back into reality that that's not acceptable"

First of all, a hard push does not make a noise.

The ref has tools to use besides putting his hands on someone. He doesn't like the kid jawing at him? Pull out the yellow card. He was quick enough to do it when the coach came out. Shouldn't he have smacked the coach as well?

Only someone who is mentally weak needs to put his hands on a kid.

I didn't go to a private school. I went to a pretty rough small farm town high school. I would feel right at home in Oklahoma.

I played competitive sports from the time I was 6 years old.  I started football in 4th grade and played high school ball for the winningest coach in state history. I wrestled from 6th grade on. I wrestled for amazing coaches. There were coaches who put athletes into the Olympics, including the winningest D1 coach of all time (who was a notorious hard ass). Was I ever grabbed forcefully? Yes. Did any of my coaches, who I knew and trusted, ever hit me with a "hard shove" like that? Oh, hell no. With exception of my college coach, if they had, my father would have been right there to come after them.  Then he would have kicked my ass. 

Finally, this wasn't his parent, or his teacher, or his coach.  This was an official he didn't know and who didn't know him.  It is a completely different dynamic.

all that is an insane amount of justification for a ref being wildly inappropriate...

the expectation that a grown man in a position of influence should be able to handle himself according to the rules of his position and overall better than a teenager is not only reasonable but also just pure fukn common sense...

5 minutes ago, littlepun said:

Finally, this wasn't his parent, or his teacher, or his coach.  This was an official he didn't know and who didn't know him.  It is a completely different dynamic.

Yeah again, should the official have done it? NO
Did he full blown punch the kid in the teeth? NO
Do his actions deserve this much outrage? Absolutely not.
Yes it was wrong, yes refs shouldn't grab kids forcefully.
Does this ref have a history of abusing children, or are we flocking to one isolated incident ? 100%

5 minutes ago, LJB said:

all that is an insane amount of justification for a ref being wildly inappropriate...

the expectation that a grown man in a position of influence should be able to handle himself according to the rules of his position and overall better than a teenager is not only reasonable but also just pure fukn common sense...

and again, this guy slipped up SOOOOOO BADDDDDD that he gave a teenager a shove, hard enough to knock him back what 4 inches?
Ban him from wrestling!

Lol yall are being silly, he didn't fly off the hinges to the point of abuse.... he messed up, let him apologize and it's over.

Both at wrong, started by smart-mouthed disrespectful jawing. The leniency practiced today in schools is the cause of so much disrespect. This official lacked self-control; I assume he will quit officiating because few are siding with him. and he isn't gonna take crap off a snotty kid. He looked too old to change his ways, and honestly, I might have done the same thing too. We are just too soft today on all kids, not just wrestlers (they're probably one the most respectful). Admittedly, I'm a baby-boomer, from the age of discipline.

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

and again, this guy slipped up SOOOOOO BADDDDDD that he gave a teenager a shove, hard enough to knock him back what 4 inches?
Ban him from wrestling!

Lol yall are being silly, he didn't fly off the hinges to the point of abuse.... he messed up, let him apologize and it's over.

he turned a verbal situation into a physical one with a minor... nothing more needs to be said... 

to be perfectly honest, if the kid or the coach had clocked him right then, it would not have bothered me even a little...

1 minute ago, fullnelson said:

Both at wrong, started by smart-mouthed disrespectful jawing. The leniency practiced today in schools is the cause of so much disrespect. This official lacked self-control; I assume he will quit officiating because few are siding with him. and he isn't gonna take crap off a snotty kid. He looked too old to change his ways, and honestly, I might have done the same thing too. We are just too soft today on all kids, not just wrestlers (they're probably one the most respectful). Admittedly, I'm a baby-boomer, from the age of discipline.

you have no idea what the kid said or in the manner he said it... you are painting the picture how you want to perceive it... and it really doesn't matter at all...

the ref has options to reprimand that type of behavior and if he is not enough of a man to control himself, then he deserves to be removed from his position and a parking lot conversation would be perfectly acceptable...

imagine the **** show if it had been during a girl's match?

3 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

Wrong.  You don't get to put hands on a kid.  Ever.  No matter how mouthy he is.  Especially if he isn't your kid 

3 hours ago, LJB said:

what is worse?

a teenager that talks on the mat?

a ref who puts his hands on a wrestler?

or someone who offers a self-righteous opinion on something they haven't even seen?

A teen that talks on the mat.

mspart

2 hours ago, littlepun said:

"I haven't seen it...."

It really is not too hard to see it. 

"I'm not hearing where the ref was way out of line." 

Listen to me say it:  The ref was WAY out of line.

I really hope that you are just a fan and have nothing to do with coaching kids.

I've been involved with coaching kids for about 30 years.  Not one of them would say I shouldn't have been.

mspart

Most of you are missing the point about the part that I quoted.   It appeared to the person that quoted it that the ref was a foreigner and this guy that I quoted was  just in Europe where this kind of behavior by the wrestler is not tolerated by anyone.  We are a bunch of pansies here in the US that we cannot allow another adult to apply a very small dose of discipline when a kid is out of line.  Spladle08 gets it.  We have taken discipline out teachers', coaches' and adminstrators' hands.  Little Johnny is perfect and he would never do that and if he did he had a very very good reason to do it and I stand behind him 100%.  That does absolutely nothing to help the kid become an adult in an adult world.  We are seeing that on college campuses nation wide.  So we ask, what is wrong with this generation?  Mommy and Daddy let little precious Johnny do whatever he wanted with no consequences, he was protected and wonders why the world is now so suddenly so unfair. 

mspart