fanta

J' Den will take out Snyder at the Olympic Trials

Just now, whaletail said:

Although it makes for a ridiculously entertaining OTT, a six man wrestling team is just depressing.

I agree. Makes winning Olympic Gold even more special for sure! It is a rare feat. Last 15 years you have 5 champs only! Cael, Varner, Snyder, Burroughs and Cejudo. Basically one champ every 4 years. 

On 9/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, bnwtwg said:

Because I doubt Snyder said as much, he is a pretty humble competitor. I'm not saying he didn't say it but I am asking for verification that he did, that's all.

From what I've seen he's "humble", but far from humble.  He talks about being humble a lot, but I've never come across a star athlete that's actually humble.  Considering the importance of confidence, and self-belief at the highest levels of sport, I'm not even sure humility is compatible with success.

And if I'm remembering right, he was chattering a bit in the aftermath of his 2017 win, and whatever he said became bulletin board for Sadulaev, and got his coach pretty fired up as well.

For whatever reason, Christians are obsessed with humility, so much so that they often appear smug (until reminded of some of the dumb **** they believe, or think they believe, at which they get defensive).

Oddly enough, Sadulaev sometimes seems genuinely humble, or at least very respectful of certain opponents.  He was exceptionally gracious in victory after the Sharifov match, going so far as to hug the guy, and raised both of their arms up to acknowledge the crowd support.  Considering Sharifov won Olympic gold in London, maybe Sadulaev idolized him as a teenager or something similar.

Not to over speculate about such post match subtleties, but his obvious respect for Sharifov caught my attention.

20 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

I agree. Makes winning Olympic Gold even more special for sure! It is a rare feat. Last 15 years you have 5 champs only! Cael, Varner, Snyder, Burroughs and Cejudo. Basically one champ every 4 years. 

You're absolutely right, but it's sad that some incredibly deserving, special wrestlers may never even get the opportunity to rep the USA at an Olympics, simply because they're between weights, or just happen to be second best in the world.

With KD and DT in the twilight of their careers, I'll be sad if they don't wrestle in Tokyo (assuming we bring alternates/training partners, they'll likely travel regardless).

Heck, as much as I'm a Yianni fan, I can't imagine Zain not making an Olympic team after such an impressive summer.  I'm still a bit shocked that after all he went through this summer, he only got a single match in Nur Sultan (as an aside, there's one more argument in favor of a true double elimination format, if not actual pool play, and while we're at it, , maybe seed the damn thing as well).