fanta

J' Den will take out Snyder at the Olympic Trials

Just now, whaletail said:

Although it makes for a ridiculously entertaining OTT, a six man wrestling team is just depressing.

I agree. Makes winning Olympic Gold even more special for sure! It is a rare feat. Last 15 years you have 5 champs only! Cael, Varner, Snyder, Burroughs and Cejudo. Basically one champ every 4 years. 

On 9/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, bnwtwg said:

Because I doubt Snyder said as much, he is a pretty humble competitor. I'm not saying he didn't say it but I am asking for verification that he did, that's all.

From what I've seen he's "humble", but far from humble.  He talks about being humble a lot, but I've never come across a star athlete that's actually humble.  Considering the importance of confidence, and self-belief at the highest levels of sport, I'm not even sure humility is compatible with success.

And if I'm remembering right, he was chattering a bit in the aftermath of his 2017 win, and whatever he said became bulletin board for Sadulaev, and got his coach pretty fired up as well.

For whatever reason, Christians are obsessed with humility, so much so that they often appear smug (until reminded of some of the dumb **** they believe, or think they believe, at which they get defensive).

Oddly enough, Sadulaev sometimes seems genuinely humble, or at least very respectful of certain opponents.  He was exceptionally gracious in victory after the Sharifov match, going so far as to hug the guy, and raised both of their arms up to acknowledge the crowd support.  Considering Sharifov won Olympic gold in London, maybe Sadulaev idolized him as a teenager or something similar.

Not to over speculate about such post match subtleties, but his obvious respect for Sharifov caught my attention.

20 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

I agree. Makes winning Olympic Gold even more special for sure! It is a rare feat. Last 15 years you have 5 champs only! Cael, Varner, Snyder, Burroughs and Cejudo. Basically one champ every 4 years. 

You're absolutely right, but it's sad that some incredibly deserving, special wrestlers may never even get the opportunity to rep the USA at an Olympics, simply because they're between weights, or just happen to be second best in the world.

With KD and DT in the twilight of their careers, I'll be sad if they don't wrestle in Tokyo (assuming we bring alternates/training partners, they'll likely travel regardless).

Heck, as much as I'm a Yianni fan, I can't imagine Zain not making an Olympic team after such an impressive summer.  I'm still a bit shocked that after all he went through this summer, he only got a single match in Nur Sultan (as an aside, there's one more argument in favor of a true double elimination format, if not actual pool play, and while we're at it, , maybe seed the damn thing as well).

Dake / Burroughs is pretty damn big.

The OTT is going to be FIRE!!

Can’t wait to be there in person to see what will be, to me, the greatest wrestling tournament I will have ever been to.  And given the names and the back stories I know, the greatest of all time that I have ever seen — again, for me.

Cox in 2 straight matches.

I think he's been our best wrestler the last 2 years. 

If he ends up our rep, has there ever been someone who's beaten 3 different World champs (1 who's also an Olympic champ) to make teams?

I actually think he has a better chance at a gold than KS. His defense is incredible.

1 hour ago, Cementmixer103 said:

Cox in 2 straight matches.

I think he's been our best wrestler the last 2 years. 

If he ends up our rep, has there ever been someone who's beaten 3 different World champs (1 who's also an Olympic champ) to make teams?

I actually think he has a better chance at a gold than KS. His defense is incredible.

I agree but history says Snyder wins in two razor close matches just like his NCAA and WTT matches against Jden-one score matches.  

54 minutes ago, Cementmixer103 said:

So what would the ott finals look like?

Lee vs Fix

Gilman will be the 1 seed at 57 after Rome, so Fix (2) and Lee (3) will most likely meet in the semis if all goes chalk. The real fun starts at Gross, Suriano, Colon, and Garrett angling for the top half of the bracket I would presume. But Gross has an argument for the 3 seed as well

Edited by bnwtwg

14 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Gilman will be the 1 seed at 57 after Rome, so Fix (2) and Lee (3) will most likely meet in the semis if all goes chalk. The real fun starts at Gross, Suriano, Colon, and Garrett angling for the top half of the bracket I would presume. But Gross has an argument for the 3 seed as well

Totally packed. What a treat. Can’t wait. 

13 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Garrett should be last, behind Suriano, Colon, Vito, Tomasello and Gross. I don’t think he’s looked good in a single tournament in the last year.

1 hour ago, Cementmixer103 said:

So what would the ott finals look like?

Lee vs Fix

JO vs Zain

JB vs Dake

Taylor vs ?

Snyder vs Cox

Gwiz vs Gable Steveson

65kg is really hard to call. I wouldn’t argue with JO vs Zain but could see any combination of McKenna, Zain, JO and Yianni (two of them) making the finals. 

Does JB bye to the finals ? If not, I for one think it’s possible there’s a surprise at 74kg with JB not making them. I could see IMart getting it done. 

At 86kg I think Zahid gets to the finals. I think if enough goes right for him and enough goes wrong for Taylor he could be our guy. It’s a long shot but Zahid’s volume of Strach’s, athleticism and steep learning curve makes it’s possible. There’s an outside chance it’s Ringer but I think that ship has sailed. 

Snyder VS Cox. Barring no injury no one is getting near these guys. 

I think it’s Gwiz VS Gable but I wonder whether Gable has really pulled away from the crowd or not. As of recently I he still seems capable of B+ performances. 

On 7/15/2019 at 7:21 PM, fanta said:

J'Den Cox says he plans to be the representative at 97Kgs.

Thank You Title IX - instead of watching the worlds best wrestlers like 'J'Den Cox and Snyder,  We have to watch only six of the original ten men's Freestyle weights, and six of the women's weights in a women's sport that has not earned equal footing. But we are told to be nice and take it. 

And for the record, I would rather watch Women's Gymnastics then men's Gymnastics. But in wrestling it's tiring watching wrestlers who couldn't beat average high-school boy wrestlers. 

9 minutes ago, Chitown said:

Thank You Title IX - instead of watching the worlds best wrestlers like 'J'Den Cox and Snyder,  We have to watch only six of the original ten men's Freestyle weights, and six of the women's weights in a women's sport that has not earned equal footing. But we are told to be nice and take it. 

And for the record, I would rather watch Women's Gymnastics then men's Gymnastics. But in wrestling it's tiring watching wrestlers who couldn't beat average high-school boy wrestlers. 

clearly, you are underestimating how good these women are now and your are grossly overestimating the "average" HS wrestler...

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Yeah, I was thinking ..

1 Gilman - Matteo Winner, past world bronze, 2x world team rep.

2 Fix - 2019 World team rep

3 Gross - Bill Farrell Champ

4 Lee - Senior Nationals Champ

Admittedly, I completely forgot about World Bronze winner Colon, Suriano and Garrett. 

And you're absolutely right, Lee and Gross can be switched. 

What a weight. It really wouldn't be shocking to see any combination of these guys in the finals.

The one silver lining of only 6 weights is that OTT is going to be action packed from at least the quarterfinals on in every bracket. Maybe not the same fireworks at the olympics, but at least domestically it will be a treat.

57 - meat grinder where not everyone considers 2 world medalists within the past 36 months to even be among the best 3 of the bracket

65 - four elite competitors on seemingly equal ground that will have everyone on their feet

74 - GOAT contender vs. 2x defending world champ

86 - return of a defending world champ ready to quiet the field. oh and the field is bring serious recent senior level credentials.

97 - 3x world champ+2x returning medalist taking on 2x defending world champ + 2x medalist. there is serious backstory and this is probably the first of many senior level battles between the two given their young age. Plus Bo. Bo is fun to watch whether you love him or hate him.

125 - 2x world medalist going against an elite young guard with serious not-your-average age group credentials that could challenge

Well J’den could take out Kyle, but I don’t think he will. 
At 57, I think it’s going to be Lee. I thought that he was very impressive at the US Nationals 

65, Yianni, I think he handles JO and finds a way to get by Zain.

74, I think it’s Dake, I think the young Lion finally beats the old Lion. 
86, David Taylor, beats a tough and crowded field. 
97, SnyderMan 

125, This one isn’t clear in my mind, although Gwizz is our rep, I don’t know if Steveson has caught him, and there is Mason Parris also looming out there.