MDogg

Anthony Echemendia

56 minutes ago, simple said:

They’re only journalists when they want to be, such as when accepting journalism awards. Otherwise they claim they’re not.

I've really begun to sour on the flo guys the last several months. Overall, Flo is great for wrestling due to the coverage it provides, but some of the personalities are wearing very thin. Nomad is unbearably arrogant at this point. Pyles has begun to approach that point as well. Willie was always there, but now has added overall incoherence to it as his brain appears to be turning to mush. To make it worse, they have incredibly thin skin too.

I've really begun to sour on the flo guys the last several months. Overall, Flo is great for wrestling due to the coverage it provides, but some of the personalities are wearing very thin. Nomad is unbearably arrogant at this point. Pyles has begun to approach that point as well. Willie was always there, but now has added overall incoherence to it as his brain appears to be turning to mush. To make it worse, they have incredibly thin skin too.
The personalities are rough.
Great product, I know they enjoy being mini celebs, but it would be neat to have "professionals". Like people who are seasoned in on-camera/radio work, and hopefully knowledgable about the sport.
Its like a bunch of writers wanting to cast themselves as the stars of the show.
Theyve seen it grow and theyve been there since the beginning so theyve "earned" their spots.
I just selfishly wish they'd pass the torch to better people.

Another point - who brings their birth certificate and passport with them to Fargo ? Sounds like they were already planning to be questioned
I would assume his passport is his main form of ID, I've never immigrated so i wouldn't know, but seems pretty reasonable. And with limited wrestling results and the whole situation of being new to the US (and a killer.... on the mat) im sure they came with all the documentation they could scrounge up in case of protest.

3 hours ago, qc8223 said:

I keep requesting flo offer a mute button for the commentary, but not the fans and coaches. Time to fire the hacks. Its always amateur hour at flo.

1 hour ago, alliseeisgold said:

Another point - who brings their birth certificate and passport with them to Fargo ? Sounds like they were already planning to be questioned

Years ago, we (NJ) had a kid that looked far older than 15-16 when a cadet. I carried his birth certificate with me for maybe 3 years. Might not have been Fargo yet but ...

5 hours ago, Katie said:

Are you a journalist? I can't imagine that publicizing fact-free innuendo qualifies as journalism.

when did i publish 'fact-free innuendo'?

i never said anything not factual. i said coaches were buzzing up to the head table to question his age and eligibility.

that's facts. 

41 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i never said anything not factual. i said coaches were buzzing up to the head table to question his age and eligibility.

that's facts. 

Right on. Next year at Fargo I'm going to buzz up to the head table to question the quality of Flo's streaming, commentary, and customer service. Looking forward to you reporting on that.

Also looking forward to how you'll move on after you get done taking your foot put of your mouth on this. Knowing you guys, I imagine you'll just post a few pictures on twitter of either Desanto or Suriano with some hip slang as a caption and call it a day. 

On 7/21/2019 at 9:05 PM, Husker_Du said:

that's facts. 

EDIT: Removed to focus on other things.

Edited by Katie

6 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Stop beating around the bush.  How do you feel about the 'talent' over at flo?

"I never said he was ineligible, I just repeated that a lot of coaches were saying that without verifying whether or not there was any basis for such a claim."
Announcer: "Up next to the plate is Mike Trout, who could be retiring soon after having tested postive for steroids"

(Internet gets confused)

Announcer: "well i actually overheard some guys at the urinal talking about it and if i didnt bring up itd just be disingenuous. I didnt say he was retiring, i said he could be, because that was the buzzzz i heard earlier"

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

i never once said he was ineligible to compete. 

You called his eligibility into question on the official broadcast for the event.  Us, the people who subscribe to flo and pay $$$, are saying we expect some type of accuracy and professionalism from the people broadcasting the events. What is so difficult to understand about that?  Only bring up accusations against athletes if there is some evidence for that accusation, especially when those accusations are based on xenophobia ("do Cubans have birth certificates?").  I believe you are smart enough to understand the difference between accusations that are backed by evidence and those that are just based on rumors.  If in fact you are not, then I recommend that broadcasts only utilize those at flo who are able to make such a distinction or hire those from outside the company who can.  

You really have demonstrated a great ignorance on this topic.  Yes, baseball players from Cuba have forged documents to appear younger, but that is because there are millions of dollars in terms of signing bonuses on the line in these cases.  It's a completely different situation than somebody defecting in a nonrevenue sport who plans to join the army. And now, after the fact, you still can't just admit that you shouldn't have brought it up at all. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

Announcer: "Up next to the plate is Mike Trout, who could be retiring soon after having tested postive for steroids"

(Internet gets confused)

Announcer: "well i actually overheard some guys at the urinal talking about it and if i didnt bring up itd just be disingenuous. I didnt say he was retiring, i said he could be, because that was the buzzzz i heard earlier"

Yea because that’s the same thing right? Because foreign athletes havent been lying about there age for decades ? so yea it might piss the kid off but that’s the reality of his situation, then Willie gave him an interview and now he’s got a ton of new fans and supporters.  The flo guys (especially nomad) make bad takes all the time but this whole thread it just people trolling and hating ,people just looking for stuff to be angry about 

4 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea because that’s the same thing right? Because foreign athletes havent been lying about there age for decades ? so yea it might piss the kid off but that’s the reality of his situation, then Willie gave him an interview and now he’s got a ton of new fans and supporters.  The flo guys (especially nomad) make bad takes all the time but this whole thread it just people trolling and hating ,people just looking for stuff to be angry about 

Which Cuban wrestlers have done this before? 

I was just giving an example of how at a higher level reckless condemning comments are blatantly out of place without the proper research. Id say even at the youth level, speculating at a stereotype is disappointing.

I dont care much for their commentators, and dont really care much about this topic, but if we are going to discuss it.... a more responsible way of going about it wouldve been covering it as a story. "The fargo dome has been abuzz over the past week over this cuban, both praise and a little skepticism....." then interview people who are willing to attach their name/image to the viewpoint. .. either way meh

From my point of view, and my own personal feelings I think anyone can blunder something, speak incorrectly or just flat out get it wrong.  Regardless how "professional" they are or in the profession for.  It happens. No matter what not everyone is gonna be happy with anyone or always agree. You just do the best you can correct, adapt, and adjust.  While it may be frustrating at times if a shot is missed, a server goes down, or there is a misplaced comment flo is not a multimillion dollar company as far as I now with endless resources like ESPN, NBC, etc.  They cover largely nonrevenue sports with a limited fan base.  In the big pond they probably don't get much money in advertisement or even monthly fees.  I get it can be frustrating at times, but I personally cut them some slack.  If it we're a money making industry a bunch of bigger companies would be jumping on the wagon.  They aren't though, so I'm happy with what we get. Again, I'm speaking for myself. Everyone is gonna have their own take on it I know. 

If you repeat a rumor or innuendo without verifying its accuracy, just man up and say, "Yeah, I shouldn't have done that, wasn't fair to the kid to repeat that without looking into it."  Done.  Finished.  All forgiven and we move on.  To dig in, though, just not cool.  And the kid's performance grew his fanbase, not a baseless (as of now) accusation that calls into question his ethics and integrity.

19 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i've taken a lot of criticism for the on-air comments. some fair, some not so fair. i probably shouldn't have spoken on it as long as i did but i did think it was important to bring up because the whole arena was buzzing with that topic. i felt it disingenuous to totally ignore it.

that being said - i never suggested he was too old. i clearly said 'coaches are saying this but how am I to know definitively'.

i'm glad it's over with and most importantly, i'm glad anthony is happy and relieved. he seems like a very good kid and i'm excited to follow him going forward. very talented. 

Great clarification, I didn't mean to say that was your opinion, because it never was. You were simply "reporting"; as good journalists and announcers do. Your job is to report the news from the scene, live from boots on the ground inside the battleship to us outside who can't attend the event and don't know what the sccuttlebutt is. We want to know the scuttlebutt. and we can interpret it how we want. If Brent Musberger is prepping for a game and is hearing things from one coaching staff about the opposing team, verifiably true or not, I need to know that information. And damned right Brent reported that information from "what he is hearing". That's inside information I need to know. Are all the journalists wrong for reporting rumors about Danny Elmonte's at the little league world series?  Pshh relax people. #TeamWillie

6 hours ago, Coach_J said:

If you repeat a rumor or innuendo without verifying its accuracy, just man up and say, "Yeah, I shouldn't have done that, wasn't fair to the kid to repeat that without looking into it."  Done.  Finished.  All forgiven and we move on.  To dig in, though, just not cool.  And the kid's performance grew his fanbase, not a baseless (as of now) accusation that calls into question his ethics and integrity.

The days of a true apology are gone.  When you have to explain what you said you know you did it wrong.