MDogg

Anthony Echemendia

Toadies and cleaners and sweepers out in full force.  Responsible comment:  "The kid looks like he could be competing on the senior level, a real beast.  Some coaches are even mumbling about Anthony's age, but no one's provided any facts to back up the grumbling.  Kind of a shame, but the cracks at his integrity can't overshadow what an incredible performance he's given."  Irresponsible:  repeating grandstand rumors and locker room innuendos that arouse suspicion without a gram of evidence to support them or making a professional attempt to verify their credibility.  You know, we may find out the kid is 35, but get the damn facts and verify them before you smear someone's name and freaking apologize when you do.

On 7/21/2019 at 4:27 AM, Husker_Du said:

i've taken a lot of criticism for the on-air comments. some fair, some not so fair. i probably shouldn't have spoken on it as long as i did but i did think it was important to bring up because the whole arena was buzzing with that topic. i felt it disingenuous to totally ignore it.

that being said - i never suggested he was too old. i clearly said 'coaches are saying this but how am I to know definitively'.

i'm glad it's over with and most importantly, i'm glad anthony is happy and relieved. he seems like a very good kid and i'm excited to follow him going forward. very talented. 

"I've taken some criticism for my handling of this situation on air and I shouldn't have done what I did, but I also did nothing wrong because I didn't do what people are accusing me of doing and what I've just said I shouldn't have done. See, it's simple. I didn't imply that he was ineligible. I merely spent the entirety of his finals match speculating on whether he had the proper documentation, whether Cuba even has birth certificates, and so on. I don't know how anybody can listen to me say 'Now, I'm not trying to throw shade or take away from anybody's accomplishments, BUT, because I was told he's 19, it's fine, he's of age, buuut they don't keep good records in Cuba' and POSSIBLY come away with the impression that I was implying he was too old. PLUS, I immediately clarified after my broadcasting partner quickly tried to back down from my comments by saying 'Well, you can't say that if Voinovich has to say: 'Well, I almost won fargo, but I got beat by a 23 year old Cuban.' I mean, where are you guys getting this whole thing about me implying Echemendia is too old?"

You could have just apologized and nobody would have given this whole thing much thought. We all make mistakes. How we respond to them is what really counts, and you're failing that test.

9 hours ago, scramble said:

From my point of view, and my own personal feelings I think anyone can blunder something, speak incorrectly or just flat out get it wrong.  Regardless how "professional" they are or in the profession for.  It happens. No matter what not everyone is gonna be happy with anyone or always agree. You just do the best you can correct, adapt, and adjust.  While it may be frustrating at times if a shot is missed, a server goes down, or there is a misplaced comment flo is not a multimillion dollar company as far as I now with endless resources like ESPN, NBC, etc.  They cover largely nonrevenue sports with a limited fan base.  In the big pond they probably don't get much money in advertisement or even monthly fees.  I get it can be frustrating at times, but I personally cut them some slack.  If it we're a money making industry a bunch of bigger companies would be jumping on the wagon.  They aren't though, so I'm happy with what we get. Again, I'm speaking for myself. Everyone is gonna have their own take on it I know. 

Actually flo has had about 68 million dollars in funding. Discover inc, WWE, Fertitta capital have all invested in them. 

https://www.flosports.tv/flosports-closes-47-million-in-funding-to-broaden-coverage-in-new-and-existing-sports/

12 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Announcer: "Up next to the plate is Mike Trout, who could be retiring soon after having tested postive for steroids"

(Internet gets confused)

Announcer: "well i actually overheard some guys at the urinal talking about it and if i didnt bring up itd just be disingenuous. I didnt say he was retiring, i said he could be, because that was the buzzzz i heard earlier"

This is actually a pretty good analogy.  I was cutting some slack because the kid looks pretty mature, I could see how someone could think that, but I would probably take a different approach after you frame it this way.

This is actually a pretty good analogy.  I was cutting some slack because the kid looks pretty mature, I could see how someone could think that, but I would probably take a different approach after you frame it this way.
Meh, they're covering kids and the standards/consequences arent as big in our little community. I think FLO still feels a little "loosely" run... like a bunch of college kids having fun. So its expected they say a few uncooth things and maybe dont always act as respectful/mindful as bigger networks. (I mean their social media temper alone towards their detractors is kind or sign #1 to their immaturity as a news entity, but as they figure things out I'm sure their overall product will imrpove)

That said, with more audiance and higher expectations, a major news caster says something like that, the internet would've brought him down and we see a straight forward, scripted apology, explaining it was insensitive, regretful, he had heard some speculation and at very least should've looked into it before speaking on it, but probably shouldnt have said anything at all.

Instead we get a guy who is too stubborn to be humble, trying to tell us all how we are wrong and he is excellent.

For those interested in his actual story, check out this Twitter thread he posted yesterday explaining how he made his way from Guatemala to El Paso. Really incredible story considering this all happened in the past year. Super impressive young man. 

The link might take you to the bottom of the thread, in which case just scroll up:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnthonyEchemen1/status/1152994735092453376

Edited by MDogg

I should have connections to answer this, but alas as with most people I go to internet messageboards for answers.

How long would it take for him to become an American citizen and be able to wrestle for the USA?

18 minutes ago, BobDole said:

I should have connections to answer this, but alas as with most people I go to internet messageboards for answers.

How long would it take for him to become an American citizen and be able to wrestle for the USA?

I’m not sure if he’ll receive special treatment because he defected and essentially can’t return home without facing consequences, but normally those granted US residency can apply for citizenship after being in the country for 5 years. 

Hopefully his special circumstances and the fact he’s an elite athlete who wants to represent the US could somehow afford him an expedited process. I hope he’s eligible to try to make the US Olympic team in 2024. If he was granted asylum in October of 2018 that would mean he could apply for citizenship in October of 2023. I don’t know how long that process takes but looks like it’s gonna be tight for him to be eligible for the 2024 trials. 

Edited by MDogg

I'm really impressed by his immigration story - that he started out defecting in Guatemala of all places, and without the consent of his parents! Man, that is a crazy leap of faith. I'm also glad that he made it up here in time. If his story had started this summer, then he would have been required to file for asylum in Guatemala, then would have needed to make an argument that he needed asylum from Guatemala to Belize, then to Mexico, etc. Years would have passed while he was trying to get up here for the opportunity to pursue his dreams. 

I think we're blessed with his story of individual perseverance - a young man who we can celebrate the success of in this terrible era of immigration in our country. I'm looking forward to seeing where his story leads. 

29 minutes ago, denger said:

I'm really impressed by his immigration story - that he started out defecting in Guatemala of all places, and without the consent of his parents! Man, that is a crazy leap of faith. I'm also glad that he made it up here in time. If his story had started this summer, then he would have been required to file for asylum in Guatemala, then would have needed to make an argument that he needed asylum from Guatemala to Belize, then to Mexico, etc. Years would have passed while he was trying to get up here for the opportunity to pursue his dreams. 

I think we're blessed with his story of individual perseverance - a young man who we can celebrate the success of in this terrible era of immigration in our country. I'm looking forward to seeing where his story leads. 

While you are correct about asylum, it works different for Cubans.  The rule has been that if a Cuban citizen can make it to the US and actually set foot on US soil they can live here and eventually become citizens.  There was a case about this, and I forget the exact details but a couple of Cubans made it to somewhere near the keys and their raft sank and they were rescued after clinging to an abandoned bridge and were sent back because they didn't actually set foot on US soil.  I know it is different for Cubans defecting here, that they have a much easier or at least more streamlined process of coming and living here.  As my dad always says, the fastest way to become a US citizen is to marry one.  Even that process is lengthy, but it cuts a lot of time off.  You can't apply for a green card until after a year, and then you have to wait an additional 3 years to apply for citizenship, so it's like a 5 year process. 

18 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

While you are correct about asylum, it works different for Cubans.  The rule has been that if a Cuban citizen can make it to the US and actually set foot on US soil they can live here and eventually become citizens.  There was a case about this, and I forget the exact details but a couple of Cubans made it to somewhere near the keys and their raft sank and they were rescued after clinging to an abandoned bridge and were sent back because they didn't actually set foot on US soil.  I know it is different for Cubans defecting here, that they have a much easier or at least more streamlined process of coming and living here.  As my dad always says, the fastest way to become a US citizen is to marry one.  Even that process is lengthy, but it cuts a lot of time off.  You can't apply for a green card until after a year, and then you have to wait an additional 3 years to apply for citizenship, so it's like a 5 year process. 

You were correct about that rule (called the wet foot/dry foot rule) which previously gave Cubans special treatment, but Obama ended that rule through executive order in 2017 when he was reestablishing relations with Cuba. They now get treated like others, even though in my opinion they absolutely should get special treatment. They usually do get some form special consideration in their asylum applications because they can successfully argue they would face consequences if sent back home under the “credible fear” asylum plea. However the rule that point blank allowed them to stay if they made it into the country was killed under Obama in January of 2017 right before leaving office...it was his administrations last significant foreign policy decision.

Edited by MDogg

6 hours ago, olddirty said:

it's actually a horrible analogy.

at no point did i say 'he might be too old'. 

i said he beat a ranked guy in round 2 and then everyone started questioning him. that's not innuendo. that's facts. that's what happened in the arena. 

perhaps part of why people questioned it was because they saw he had been disqualified/pulled from Juniors in Vegas. 

not really sure. what i am sure of, and all i said, was that a significant number of coaches were going to head table about it. it was the talk of the day. and that is not debatable. 

bottom line - at no point did i say or suggest that he was too old. 

Edited by Husker_Du

Just read Anthony's tweets about his escape from Cuba and his journey to USA. Conditions must be pretty horrible in Cuba for Anthony to just pack up and leave his parents while possibly risking his life leaving his country.

Then in his interview with Willie, Anthony says how much he loves it here in the United States and he wants to wrestle for Team USA. So here we have another story of an immigrant from one these countries that makes it to the USA and and is elated to be here. 

So now to my million dollar question:

Why do countries such as Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras (just to name a few) get to treat their people so horribly yet at the same time these governments receive zero criticism? Zero, zilch, nada. Nothing to see here. Astounding. 

Not defending Willie here, he did put his foot in his mouth, but Willie is now public enemy #1 and the politicians and governments of these countries are off the hook again.   

it's actually a horrible analogy.

at no point did i say 'he might be too old'. 

i said he beat a ranked guy in round 2 and then everyone started questioning him. that's not innuendo. that's facts. that's what happened in the arena. 

perhaps part of why people questioned it was because they saw he had been disqualified/pulled from Juniors in Vegas. 

not really sure. what i am sure of, and all i said, was that a significant number of coaches were going to head table about it. it was the talk of the day. and that is not debatable. 

bottom line - at no point did i say or suggest that he was too old. 

Not sure what all moisturizes, toners, anti aging creams, etc... you use. But the upkeep on that thin-skin must be quite the undertaking.

How hard is it to vaguely apology and appease the masses? Could gain some fans/respect

"I apologize if it came across as insensitive and speculative on my behalf, that wasn't my intention. I always try hard to bring my best to the table, for the sport that has given me so much and I'll continue to work to be better. Thank you for the feedback everyone. "

We're still going on about this? Bottom line is that is was in bad taste to harp about the kid's age while he was wrestling in the finals and Willie has apologized to Anthony about it already and I believe he's admitted he shouldn't have said it at that time. With that being said, it is a smaller community in the wrestling world and fans can probably have more access to the wrestlers and media than in other sports so it's a bit more chummy than it may be somewhere else and sometimes the announcers need to see the difference in calling a match for the masses or acting like you're discussing it with your buddy on the couch. I don't believe Willie was trying to be malicious about it but apparently it was all the talk at the tournament (which is stupid because all it takes is one guy saying to another that he's too old and once that gets told to a few more it goes right into rumor status) and it was going to brought up eventually by the guys on FRL anyway. Also, I rarely know what the heck I'm talking about anyway so don't listen me but that's just how I feel about the situation. Personally I feel he's of age as there's really no benefit to lying about it at this point considering the career path he's chosen as opposed to maybe saying he was 16 and crushing cadets as a 19 year old with two years of high school left.

40 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

Why do countries such as Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras (just to name a few) get to treat their people so horribly yet at the same time these governments receive zero criticism? Zero, zilch, nada. Nothing to see here. Astounding. 

Not defending Willie here, he did put his foot in his mouth, but Willie is now public enemy #1 and the politicians and governments of these countries are off the hook again.   

There is no direct line of communication in this forum with any of the, "politicians and governments of these countries..."  That would be my answer.  Is that a 'million dollar' answer?

19 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

There is no direct line of communication in this forum with any of the, "politicians and governments of these countries..."  That would be my answer.  Is that a 'million dollar' answer?

That is a cop out, that is what it is. If you don't wake up soon and start directing your energy towards fixing the problem you will lose and and all semblance of what you think America has been, is and will be. 

spladle08 - someone at flo really put you in a mood...like 3 years ago.

i've never seen anyone so obsessed.

i did apologize. on here, and to Anthony to his face.

keep going on though. in a sea of suspect posters, you're clearly the biggest troll and/or biased.  bring up flo and you're 'anti'.

keep going, bud. 

1 hour ago, 2td3nf said:

Just read Anthony's tweets about his escape from Cuba and his journey to USA. Conditions must be pretty horrible in Cuba for Anthony to just pack up and leave his parents while possibly risking his life leaving his country.

Then in his interview with Willie, Anthony says how much he loves it here in the United States and he wants to wrestle for Team USA. So here we have another story of an immigrant from one these countries that makes it to the USA and and is elated to be here. 

Cuba imprisons political dissidents. But in South Florida, people of Cuban descent criticize Cuba all the time.

Also, Central American countries have party politics, which necessarily entails criticism of the ruling party. 

The more you know. 

Edited by Katie

spladle08 - someone at flo really put you in a mood...like 3 years ago.
i've never seen anyone so obsessed.
i did apologize. on here, and to Anthony to his face.
keep going on though. in a sea of suspect posters, you're clearly the biggest troll and/or biased.  bring up flo and you're 'anti'.
keep going, bud. 
Good job on the apology.
And thank you for recognizing my dedication. Means more than you know.
XOXO
Lovingly Yours
Spladle08

16 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

That is a cop out, that is what it is. If you don't wake up soon and start directing your energy towards fixing the problem you will lose and and all semblance of what you think America has been, is and will be. 

You're going to figure out how to "fix" American in this thread?