MDogg

Anthony Echemendia

Never heard of this kid before today but what a story. 6x Cuban National champ (don’t know what age level or how they do it in Cuba) who defected during a Cuban training camp in Guatemala and made his way to Arizona. Won an AZ state title this year and just blitzed the field in Fargo. He’s enlisting in the US Army and doing the WCAP (sp?) program so he can train to make the US 2024 Olympic team. 

Great story. I didn’t think it was too classy of Willie at flo to spend so much time during his finals match broadcast talking about whether or not he’s age cheating..:but that doesn’t take away from how great of a story the kid is.

You gotta be kidding me. That was Echemendia's first Greco tournament, ever? Granted, I only saw the finals match against PA but he looked like a polished Greco wrestler as he dominated that championship match. 

Sounds like he's sticking with freestyle but Anthony would probably be a tremendous asset to the Greco team as well, if he chose to. 

Ok, that didn't take too long to watch the rest of Anthony's Greco matches at Fargo. Complete domination.

Have no idea how this would go, but would love to see how Echemendia would do against Ryan Mango or Ellis Coleman right now.  (All due respect to Mango and Coleman but I thought this kid was that impressive. And again, sounds like Echemendia will stick with freestyle but he could be a killer in Greco as well, IMO.)

On 7/16/2019 at 7:03 PM, MDogg said:

Never heard of this kid before today but what a story. 6x Cuban National champ (don’t know what age level or how they do it in Cuba) who defected during a Cuban training camp in Guatemala and made his way to Arizona. Won an AZ state title this year and just blitzed the field in Fargo. He’s enlisting in the US Army and doing the WCAP (sp?) program so he can train to make the US 2024 Olympic team. 

Great story. I didn’t think it was too classy of Willie at flo to spend so much time during his finals match broadcast talking about whether or not he’s age cheating..:but that doesn’t take away from how great of a story the kid is.

TBF, Willie personally apologized to the kid before the Greco final.

Ok, that didn't take too long to watch the rest of Anthony's Greco matches at Fargo. Complete domination.
Have no idea how this would go, but would love to see how Echemendia would do against Ryan Mango or Ellis Coleman right now.  (All due respect to Mango and Coleman but I thought this kid was that impressive. And again, sounds like Echemendia will stick with freestyle but he could be a killer in Greco as well, IMO.)
I haven't watched so completely talking out if my a$$, but.... you know how bad our senior mens team is on the world stage... actually all our levels of wrestling on the Greco World stage..... because we simply don't do it....

So I wouldn't put to much stock in a guy who has only practiced/wrestled freestyle/Greco his whole life, crushing our part time international-style athletes.

That said.... it was a great performance

8 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

I posted this topic before Greco started or his interview with Willie posted on flo. I was really impressed by him in freestyle and totally blown away by his Greco performance. Hands down the most dominant kid in Fargo this year. 

In the flo interview it sounded like he wasn’t totally decided on going the WCAP route and that he was specifically talking to NLWC and others too. Gonna be really interesting following this kid. What a story.

Edited by MDogg

1 hour ago, Dr. Novak said:

Seen speaking to Rob Koll and Mike Grey for an extended period of time.  Where there's smoke...

Was he directly speaking with them? Because his English isn't very good, so it's pretty hard for him to have a regular conversation in English without somebody to translate, or unless Koll and Grey happen to speak Spanish.  The reason nobody picked up on him yet is because of his lack of English, which is a huge detriment in college since we don't have many places that will offer classes in Spanish. Not that he's an idiot (he's not), but he wouldn't be able to pass the SAT's with a high enough score to get into a 4 year university right now.  It's just the language barrier that is in the way really.   

I don't blame Willie for thinking he's too old; all you have to do is look at the kid and he looks alot older than he is.....facially that is, not even talking physically, all birth certificates are not created equal, I don't know if obama's birth certificate is real, and I don't know if Echemendia is real......but I know I've seen alot of fake id's. Regardless, who cares ? He's usa now, and I'll take him to help usa beat cuba and russia. Now let's go win a gold for usa echemendia. 

The answer to this question is how much he improves at wrestling, if he never has any growth we will know he was already reached his peak. Someone may need to take a look at Mark Hall's birth certificate too, not sure if he's gotten an ounce better in senior freestyle from cadet freestyle. 

i've taken a lot of criticism for the on-air comments. some fair, some not so fair. i probably shouldn't have spoken on it as long as i did but i did think it was important to bring up because the whole arena was buzzing with that topic. i felt it disingenuous to totally ignore it.

that being said - i never suggested he was too old. i clearly said 'coaches are saying this but how am I to know definitively'.

i'm glad it's over with and most importantly, i'm glad anthony is happy and relieved. he seems like a very good kid and i'm excited to follow him going forward. very talented. 

4 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i've taken a lot of criticism for the on-air comments. some fair, some not so fair. i probably shouldn't have spoken on it as long as i did but i did think it was important to bring up because the whole arena was buzzing with that topic. i felt it disingenuous to totally ignore it.

that being said - i never suggested he was too old. i clearly said 'coaches are saying this but how am I to know definitively'.

i'm glad it's over with and most importantly, i'm glad anthony is happy and relieved. he seems like a very good kid and i'm excited to follow him going forward. very talented. 

You work for a media company. You should hold yourself to a standard where you require at least some circumstantial evidence to bring up these types of rumors on air.  The level of ignorance you displayed in your commentary was to be frank, disgraceful, for what fans expect from somebody who has been covering the sport as long as you have ("do cubans have birth certificates?").  And now your backtrack is just that you, "probably shouldn't have spoken on it as long as you did."  You shouldn't have brought it up at all unless you had evidence.  You work for a news company-if you are so curious about his age, you have the resources to investigate and provide factual reporting.  You aren't a "themat" or twitter troll-there is a level of accuracy that we, the people paying yearly fees for flo, expect from you during broadcasts.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

i did but i did think it was important to bring up because the whole arena was buzzing with that topic. i felt it disingenuous to totally ignore it.

Lol i love the idea that this was a well thought out conscious choice.

"Next match, what all should I include. Play by play, wrestlers names, backstories, i should probably add in this age thing because its the current buzz if I dont this'll really seem disingenuous... "

What a silly person to have on air. 0 hate as a human but all round just not a good "on air" person, regardless of medium.

Thoughts are never clear, never seems to understand much of anything, and just you know visually rough. Eh well #cheers

17 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

Seen speaking to Rob Koll and Mike Grey for an extended period of time.  Where there's smoke...

Probably getting advice on what Lawyer to put on retainer to help his career.

6 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Lol what? That's exactly what you were doing. "Now, his coaches say he's of age, but he's cuban and we all know they have issues with documentation, so who knows how old he really is." Come on, dude. The implication is pretty clear there. Really irresponsible and Echemendia and his coaches showed a lot of grace even giving you an interview after that. You've been shoving your foot in your mouth quite a bit lately. For your own sake, you should probably do a little more thinking before you speak seeing how you're one of the faces of the biggest media company in wrestling.

14 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

I don't blame Willie for thinking he's too old; all you have to do is look at the kid and he looks alot older than he is.....facially that is, not even talking physically, all birth certificates are not created equal, I don't know if obama's birth certificate is real, and I don't know if Echemendia is real......but I know I've seen alot of fake id's. Regardless, who cares ? He's usa now, and I'll take him to help usa beat cuba and russia. Now let's go win a gold for usa echemendia. 

The answer to this question is how much he improves at wrestling, if he never has any growth we will know he was already reached his peak. Someone may need to take a look at Mark Hall's birth certificate too, not sure if he's gotten an ounce better in senior freestyle from cadet freestyle. 

Gtfoh

The biggest shame in all this is that everyone is talking about the Willie controversy instead of Anthony himself. First of all, I don’t really see how everyone thinks he looks so much older than 19. He is a little older...almost all those guys are 17-18 and he’s 19. Look at the lineup picture of all the Fargo champs and tell me how he looks much more than 1 year older than the other winners? I don’t see it.

More importantly I don’t think his incredible story is getting enough play because of all the noise around Willie’s commentary. He was in a detention facility for 4 months until October or November (can’t remember which) of this past year. For 4 months he had to eat what he was given and couldn’t train or really work out. Look at the pic of him when he won AZ state at 152 this year. Body looks looks different because he didn’t even really have time to get into really elite wrestling shape and still went 22-0. Compare the pics of him from fargo and then from folkstyle season in AZ and it’s a big transformation.

Edited by MDogg

14 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

The only way you don't know if Obama's birth certificate is real is if you're A) racist, B) a moron, or most likely C) a racist moron. Come on now, man. Just told on yourself big time.

23 minutes ago, MDogg said:

The biggest shame in all this is that everyone is talking about the Willie controversy instead of Anthony himself. First of all, I don’t really see how everyone thinks he looks so much older than 19. He is a little older...almost all those guys are 17-18 and he’s 19. Look at the lineup picture of all the Fargo champs and tell me how he looks much more than 1 year older than the other winners? I don’t see it.

More importantly I don’t think his incredible story is getting enough play because of all the noise around Willie’s commentary. He was in a detention facility for 4 months until October or November (can’t remember which) of this past year. For 4 months he had to eat what he was given and couldn’t train or really work out. Look at the pic of him when he won AZ state at 152 this year. Body looks looks different because he didn’t even really have time to get into really elite wrestling shape and still went 22-0. Compare the pics of him from fargo and then from folkstyle season in AZ and it’s a big transformation.

To add to this, looks are never a good way of judging how old someone is. Chance Marstellar had a full beard as a cadet at fargo and probably could have passed as 25-30 years old as a 15 year old. On the flip side, David Taylor looked like he was 12 as a high school senior. 

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

Freedom of speech.  Yes.  Freedom from the consequences of said speech. No.   

Almost 100% of the people who love to whine about freedom of speech don't understand this.

On 7/21/2019 at 4:27 AM, Husker_Du said:

EDIT: Removed to focus on other things.

Edited by Katie