Sign in to follow this  
ugarte

Scoring blunder at Fargo

This isn't a weird judgment call, there was just a flat out mistake in how the points were awarded during a match. Has anyone seen a writeup or a statement about the scoring mixup in the 285 semis? Has the tournament addressed it at all?

Heindselman got robbed when Luffman was given a phantom point to make the score 2-2 when the scorer accidentally gave him a point at the same time he was put on the clock. The refs and officials refused to even acknowledge the error. You can see the scoring mistake at the 5 minute mark in the video and you can hear the matside official angrily dismissing Heindselman's coach when he complains about it at the break. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6534818-285-lbs-semis-luke-luffman-illinois-vs-joshua-heindselman-oklahoma

To be honest, I thought the communication between the refs and judges and the scorer was mediocre throughout the  tournament. It always seemed to eventually get fixed but the number of times I saw 4s posted as 1s or similar gaffes was stunning to me. It's a huge tournament so I suspect there were a lot of volunteers who had no idea what they were doing or were used to working with paper flip scoreboards, not electronics, but it was still jarring.

Edited by ugarte

At the end of the match someone at the table said they needed to brick it and since they did not the score stands.   I guess the question the OK coaches needed to bring up is how do you brick something that was never indicated as a score by the mat officials and at least the side official to start with but then ends up showing up as a scoreboard point later.  They did check on this discrepancy at the stoppage but were told it was right and to return to the corner.  I did not watch the whole match to say where the point may have came from if as the table said the score was right.  

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, MadMardigain said:

At the end of the match someone at the table said they needed to brick it and since they did not the score stands.   I guess the question the OK coaches needed bring up is how do you brick something that was never indicated as score by the mat officials and at least the side official to start with but then showed up as a scoreboard point after.  But I did not watch the whole match to say where the point may have came from if as the table said the score was right.  

wild - i think you can see the coaches notice the scoring error but think they'll be able to ask about it, but when he does, the official keeps saying that it's on the scoresheet and that's it. you see tell that heindselman is distraught because he knows he got jobbed.

Telling them they have to challenge is the same garbage that Ian Miller dealt with in his NCAA semifinal fiasco in 2015. What if they would have challenged this and lost the challenge? Would they lose a point because they thought the score was wrong?

I can't believe this hasn't been covered more in-depth. Heindselman got completely screwed. I know the Luffman kid is a really good kid but I can't believe that they are actually proud of that "victory". And I know it's hard to officiate as I have done it, but every time there's a major problem it could have easily been remedied but the officials always seem to have this huge chip on their shoulder like they're completely right and everybody else is wrong. Then when they find out later they are wrong, they circle the wagons and say "oh, it's too late to do anything". Did they come out and apoligize? Has USA Wrestling said anything? Did the officials come over to Oklahoma's Camp later and say we screwed up? How are you supposed to challenge something that wasn't even done in the first place? This is not on the mat this is the scoring table! Un-fkcuing believable!

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

What does this have to do with college wrestling?

Fargo is a major source for college recruiting and the High School forum is damn near non existent. The fact that a mistake like that can be made and then followed by a refusal to correct it, makes it very newsworthy and SHOULD be discussed in the largest wrestling internet venue. 

Edited by MSU158