Housebuye

Spencer Lee isn’t redshirting

31 minutes ago, justafan said:

Trying to peak twice in 2 weeks in 2 separate styles won't be easy.Youve to pick one and go all in 

I think he’s good enough he can slack on folk, train for free, and still win NCAAs.

On 7/20/2019 at 10:49 AM, pamela said:

Besides, some believe 2021 will be Iowa’s year to seize the NCAA team title, not 2020.

Besides, some believe 20XX will be Iowa's year to seize the NCAA team title, not 20XX.

Fixed it for ya.

I can't believe the "next year Iowa win it" is already starting.  Actually, I can.

Edited by StallWarning

On 7/22/2019 at 7:37 AM, StallWarning said:

Besides, some believe 20XX will be Iowa's year to seize the NCAA team title, not 20XX.

Fixed it for ya.

I can't believe the "next year Iowa win it" is already starting.  Actually, I can.

Haha, I actually think next year will be their best opportunity. Their potential 2021 lineup looks pretty good on paper too, but with so many top guys looking ahead to the Olympics or taking ORS next year anything can happen in 2020.

57 minutes ago, pamela said:

Haha, I actually think next year will be their best opportunity. Their potential 2021 lineup looks pretty good on paper too, but with so many top guys looking ahead to the Olympics or taking ORS next year anything can happen in 2020.

Yeah I don’t see how Iowa could win in 2021 if they don’t win in 2020. 

I outlined it in another thread, but basically assuming most guys redshirt who have a legitimate chance of making the team (Hall, Fix, Yianni, etc) Iowa is in a great spot to win in 2020 with Lee. In 2021 all those guys come back. 

OSU - will be stronger. They have an incredible class coming in.   

tOSU- they have an awesome class this year and have a bunch of top 30ish high school guys. They just need a couple to step up and they will be golden. Guys like Heinselman, Rocky Jordan, Decaturs, etc. That doesn’t include guys I consider “locks” to be AA level if not champ level (Karchla, Kerklevit). 

PSU - they may have a bad lineup (for them) this coming season, depending on who shirts. In 2021, they will have RBY, Lee, Possible Cenzo and Hall, Brooks, Beard and likely Cassar. Iowa isn’t beating that team. 

I think Iowa may not make the podium in 2021. They definitely aren’t winning it. 2020 is their shot and I hope they go for it 

On 7/22/2019 at 10:37 AM, StallWarning said:

Fixed it for ya.

Its really boring, and not creative, to just declare penn state the winner indefinitely. Looking at ways other teams could win, at least makes the team race a little interesting. But 2020 is definitely the best shot they have had in a while.

Edited by Molsen

22 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yeah I don’t see how Iowa could win in 2021 if they don’t win in 2020. 

I outlined it in another thread, but basically assuming most guys redshirt who have a legitimate chance of making the team (Hall, Fix, Yianni, etc) Iowa is in a great spot to win in 2020 with Lee. In 2021 all those guys come back. 

OSU - will be stronger. They have an incredible class coming in.   

tOSU- they have an awesome class this year and have a bunch of top 30ish high school guys. They just need a couple to step up and they will be golden. Guys like Heinselman, Rocky Jordan, Decaturs, etc. That doesn’t include guys I consider “locks” to be AA level if not champ level (Karchla, Kerklevit). 

PSU - they may have a bad lineup (for them) this coming season, depending on who shirts. In 2021, they will have RBY, Lee, Possible Cenzo and Hall, Brooks, Beard and likely Cassar. Iowa isn’t beating that team. 

I think Iowa may not make the podium in 2021. They definitely aren’t winning it. 2020 is their shot and I hope they go for it 

To me, you're just off here on your assessments.  Okie State will be good, but on paper Iowa is better.  That doesn't guarantee anything, of course.  tOSU, Kharchla and Kerkvleit are both awesome, but none of the other guys you listed look like any kind of "monster".  Neither Decatur has looked particularly great, and Rocky Jordan is also nowhere near as high a level recruit as his brothers, although the pedigree is strong.  Heinselman was also extremely underwhelming this year.

Penn State are monsters, and will likely be favorites every year for a bit, but Cenzo is a senior this year, and the scuttlebut also has Cassar only doing one more year, though he was given two back.  I would say Penn State are favorites this year and next over Iowa, but neither of those other teams you mentioned are above Iowa in my mind.

18 hours ago, Molsen said:

Its really boring, and not creative, to just declare penn state the winner indefinitely. Looking at ways other teams could win, at least makes the team race a little interesting. But 2020 is definitely the best shot they have had in a while.

I don't disagree with you.  I was just picking the low hanging fruit on the "next year is our year" Iowa joke.

21 hours ago, VakAttack said:

To me, you're just off here on your assessments.  Okie State will be good, but on paper Iowa is better.  That doesn't guarantee anything, of course.  tOSU, Kharchla and Kerkvleit are both awesome, but none of the other guys you listed look like any kind of "monster".  Neither Decatur has looked particularly great, and Rocky Jordan is also nowhere near as high a level recruit as his brothers, although the pedigree is strong.  Heinselman was also extremely underwhelming this year.

Penn State are monsters, and will likely be favorites every year for a bit, but Cenzo is a senior this year, and the scuttlebut also has Cassar only doing one more year, though he was given two back.  I would say Penn State are favorites this year and next over Iowa, but neither of those other teams you mentioned are above Iowa in my mind.

The reports out of the room were that Rocky, as a true freshman, was seriously being considered as the starter. Rocky then got injured and Ethan Smith won the spot. He then made it to R16. Granted, that doesn’t mean Rocky would’ve done better, but as a true freshman he was consistently beating a guy who made it far in a deep weight. 

Heinselman was tremendously undersized and should have redshirted. TOSU just didn’t have any other viable options. He still managed to qualify and go 1-2 at NCAAs. I think you would be in the minority if you think he won’t AA. 

Iowa’s lineup on paper in 2021 looks great. There are 8 solid AA threats. With that said...

1. It doesn’t seem all that likely Teasdale can get it together off the mat. I like the guy and his wrestling style is fantastic to watch. I also don’t care about smoking weed and I think everyone needs to calm down about it. However he went to rehab for weed...I’ve never heard of that. He also didn’t show up for class. I know Tom and Terry have a much better hands on style for Teasdale, but I’m skeptical that he wrestles in the post season ever.   

2. Lee  might redshirt in 2021. I’m super confused by him. He has been my favorite prospect for years. Hope he has fixed whatever was bothering him. 

3. Kemerer at 174 is a complete unknown. Add to that his injuries and I think it is fairly likely that in his 6th year of college wrestling (2021 season) he is going to be injured. Good news for iowa is Assad is waiting in the wings. He has been way better in free than folk but he is a serious threat in folk if he can tweak his style a bit. 

4. Renteria didn’t wrestle a match last year. Thanks thought he was likely to AA at 133 last year assuming he could make it, and that weight was stacked. Not sure what’s going on but it wasn’t an injury and he had classroom issues in the past. 

This doesn’t take into account other concerns I have with the 2021 team. Cassiopi is a beast vs lesser competition, but his best win in college is probably AJ Nevills. Warner has the skill to compete for titles but doesn’t perform up to his ability (yet). Marinelli underperformed twice now at NCAAs. He clearly has the talent, drive and work ethic to win it all, but he hasn’t gotten close yet. 

I dont mean to bashing iowa. I actually root for y’all, especially recently, because you have so many naysayers and I’m a big fan of a few of the individuals on the team. I do think Iowa fans are being way too optimistic about 2021. The only reason Iowa has a shot this year is because of all of the redshirting. 

I will say that if Iowa can develop these recruits like I think they can, 2022 and 2023 are going to be highly competitive. If Lee redshirts in 2021, the 2022 team may end up being title contenders. I think Patrick Kennedy is going to contend for titles himself, Nelson Brands might be able to AA in 2020 if he was the starter, and plenty of other guys coming in are extremely solid  

21 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I know mat wrestling plays a lot more into his being undersized in folk for D1, however he tooled everyone not named Arujau, including outplacing, outpacing, and outperforming Foley(7th) and Teske(Penn State assumed starter).  If he can add the size(he will) as well as the experience, he'll be just fine and will close the gap on the kiddos that are man-strength-ing him.  He is as technical as just about anyone in the weight.  Add in that Glory at 125 isn't likely going to happen and there is no reason to believe he won't be competing for AA honors this season.

9 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

The reports out of the room were that Rocky, as a true freshman, was seriously being considered as the starter. Rocky then got injured and Ethan Smith won the spot. He then made it to R16. Granted, that doesn’t mean Rocky would’ve done better, but as a true freshman he was consistently beating a guy who made it far in a deep weight. 

Heinselman was tremendously undersized and should have redshirted. TOSU just didn’t have any other viable options. He still managed to qualify and go 1-2 at NCAAs. I think you would be in the minority if you think he won’t AA. 

Iowa’s lineup on paper in 2021 looks great. There are 8 solid AA threats. With that said...

1. It doesn’t seem all that likely Teasdale can get it together off the mat. I like the guy and his wrestling style is fantastic to watch. I also don’t care about smoking weed and I think everyone needs to calm down about it. However he went to rehab for weed...I’ve never heard of that. He also didn’t show up for class. I know Tom and Terry have a much better hands on style for Teasdale, but I’m skeptical that he wrestles in the post season ever.   

2. Lee  might redshirt in 2021. I’m super confused by him. He has been my favorite prospect for years. Hope he has fixed whatever was bothering him. 

3. Kemerer at 174 is a complete unknown. Add to that his injuries and I think it is fairly likely that in his 6th year of college wrestling (2021 season) he is going to be injured. Good news for iowa is Assad is waiting in the wings. He has been way better in free than folk but he is a serious threat in folk if he can tweak his style a bit. 

4. Renteria didn’t wrestle a match last year. Thanks thought he was likely to AA at 133 last year assuming he could make it, and that weight was stacked. Not sure what’s going on but it wasn’t an injury and he had classroom issues in the past. 

This doesn’t take into account other concerns I have with the 2021 team. Cassiopi is a beast vs lesser competition, but his best win in college is probably AJ Nevills. Warner has the skill to compete for titles but doesn’t perform up to his ability (yet). Marinelli underperformed twice now at NCAAs. He clearly has the talent, drive and work ethic to win it all, but he hasn’t gotten close yet. 

I dont mean to bashing iowa. I actually root for y’all, especially recently, because you have so many naysayers and I’m a big fan of a few of the individuals on the team. I do think Iowa fans are being way too optimistic about 2021. The only reason Iowa has a shot this year is because of all of the redshirting. 

I will say that if Iowa can develop these recruits like I think they can, 2022 and 2023 are going to be highly competitive. If Lee redshirts in 2021, the 2022 team may end up being title contenders. I think Patrick Kennedy is going to contend for titles himself, Nelson Brands might be able to AA in 2020 if he was the starter, and plenty of other guys coming in are extremely solid  

1.  Teasdale, I agree.  I don't think he makes it at Iowa, hope I'm wrong.

2.  I think Lee is just going to go 4 straight unless he gets injured.

3.  If Kemerer is healthy, I don't think the weight is that big of an issue.  Especially in 2021.

4.  Also don't think Renteria is going to wrestle.

Will Heinselman AA in his career?  maybe.  But I don't think it's a lock, and a low level AA just doesn't cut it points wise.

Rocky Jordan wrestled zero matches last year.  I don't really want to talk about "winning in the room" as it's apocryphal at best.  Ethan Smith at the beginning of the year isn't the same as the guy at the end of the year, we've seen uncountable examples of that throughout wrestling history.  That said, I would agree that, from what we're seeing right now, I think Ohio State's two blue chips, Kharchla and Kerkvliet, are better than Iowa's incoming blue chips, Kennedy, Assad and Sokol.  I'll feel a lot better if Iowa can grab Alex Facundo or Jesse Veasquez or even pry Paddy Gallagher away from Ohio State.

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I know mat wrestling plays a lot more into his being undersized in folk for D1, however he tooled everyone not named Arujau, including outplacing, outpacing, and outperforming Foley(7th) and Teske(Penn State assumed starter).  If he can add the size(he will) as well as the experience, he'll be just fine and will close the gap on the kiddos that are man-strength-ing him.  He is as technical as just about anyone in the weight.  Add in that Glory at 125 isn't likely going to happen and there is no reason to believe he won't be competing for AA honors this season.

The NCAA wrestling tournament is contested in Folkstyle.  In Folkstyle, he got tuned up repeatedly, to the tune of getting majored by solid but unspectacular wrestlers like Brent Fleetwood, Devin Schroder, and pinned by Joey Melendez.  That doesn't even count the 6 point losses he took to such luminaries as Liam Cronin and Drew Mattin.  His best win was over...who?  A redshirting Patrick McKee?  Alex Mackall?  To put it bluntly, there is no evidence presently to suggest that he WILL be competing for AA honors, not the other way around.  Sometimes, people are too small.

33 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I don't see this as REMOTELY true.

125:  Lee is a distinct favorite at this weight REGARDLESS of who goes 125.

133:  Who is redshirting here that makes any difference for DeSanto?  I have yet to hear Fix even is, let alone Suriano, Micic, Pletcher or even Gross.  This weight is still a MONSTER and so is DeSanto.

141:  Eierman redshirting is deciding Iowa's chances with the one guy that is a likely low AA at best?  I don't see that.

149:  Lugo is in a GREAT spot due to graduation NOT redshirting.

157:  Young benefits from Nolf and Pantaleo graduating.  Hidlay and Deakin are, by all accounts, not redshirting.

165:  Who is redshirting at this weight?  Regardless of whether or not any do, he CAN beat ANYONE at this weight.  He just has to get it done in March.

174:  Again, who is redshirting here?  Hall?  I doubt it.  After that, I would be very surprised if anyone else does.  If anyone benefits at this weight, it will be if Valencia moves to 184.

184:  ???? Wilcke may benefit from Foster, Martin and Parker graduating.  But from someone redshirting?

197:  Do I even need to comment here?

285:  Here as well.......

The REAL reason Iowa has a shot is that they return 7 AA's, 2 R12's and a young 285 with tons of potential.  Add in that PSU graduated Nolf and Nickal, making them somewhat vulnerable(relative to how good they have been). TOSU lost McKenna, Jordan and Martin, while OkState lost Jacobe Smith, Weigel and White.  

So, Iowa returns NINE guys that have finished R12 or better at NCAA's.  PSU returns 6.  tOSU returns 3.  OkState returns 6.  THAT is why they have a real shot.  Their main competition will need their recruits to step right in and fill VERY big shoes.  PSU has proven they can make that happen.  The jury is still out on if tOSU can do it with anyone other than Sasso and OkState will still be EMPTY at 197-285

Edited by MSU158

16 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The NCAA wrestling tournament is contested in Folkstyle.  In Folkstyle, he got tuned up repeatedly, to the tune of getting majored by solid but unspectacular wrestlers like Brent Fleetwood, Devin Schroder, and pinned by Joey Melendez.  That doesn't even count the 6 point losses he took to such luminaries as Liam Cronin and Drew Mattin.  His best win was over...who?  A redshirting Patrick McKee?  Alex Mackall?  To put it bluntly, there is no evidence presently to suggest that he WILL be competing for AA honors, not the other way around.  Sometimes, people are too small.

I see your point here.  I believe he won't be too small once that NATO diet kicks in.  Even if I'm not a predominant tOSU fan, I do want the teams putting the best kids out there, and the best 125 tOSU can have is him, if he fills out.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

It's been made public that JRent's father was going through chemo last season/year...that's why he wasn't wrestling.

53 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

To clarify a couple things:

1) I think Teasdale went to rehab because that's what Cael told him to do as a way to show commitment or something along those lines. Teasdale briefly touched upon that in his recent interview.

4) I believe Renteria didn't wrestle at all this year because he spent a lot of time at home with his father, who is seriously ill (I believe cancer). 

I also don't think the claim that the only reason they have a shot is the redshirting is valid. Which team do you think they can only contend with because of redshirts? Last I checked, most of the conversations have been under the assumption that Hall, and others with available redshirts, aren't going to redshirt. Iowa can certainly beat Penn State at full strength. The potential redshirts of top guys benefit PSU guys just as much as Iowa guys:

133: Micic and Fix would impact Desanto/RBY equally as they are in the same tier of guys. Both become finalist contenders if those guys are gone.

141: Yianni and Eiermann redshirting elevates Nick Lee to a title favorite, doesn't impact Iowa a whole lot.

165: Lewis redshirting impacts Marinelli/Joseph the same

174: Hall redshirting would hurt PSU for sure

184: Valencia redshirting would elevate Rasheed to a title contender in a weak weight

285: Gable redshirting makes Cassar close to a lock

Outside of a Hall redshirt, PSU stands much more to gain by potential redshirts than Iowa does and I think Hall is just as likely to redshirt as Spencer Lee is to redshirt (not likely for either imo). Plus, PSU has a much higher upside replacement for Hall than Iowa has for Lee. Brooks >>> Cashman.

Snyder gave him and everyone else a recipe for having the cake and eating it too.  Wrestle 3 or 4 freestyle tournaments and 2 folk style tournaments.  Throw in Iowa State duals to keep the Brands' from looking like tools.

15 hours ago, qc8223 said:

To clarify a couple things:

1) I think Teasdale went to rehab because that's what Cael told him to do as a way to show commitment or something along those lines. Teasdale briefly touched upon that in his recent interview.

What? 

You think Cael sent Teasdale to "rehab" as a way to show commitment? Like he couldn't make weight or was often tardy and Cael decided he could use "rehab" to get him fully committed? 

17 hours ago, VakAttack said:

1.  Teasdale, I agree.  I don't think he makes it at Iowa, hope I'm wrong.

2.  I think Lee is just going to go 4 straight unless he gets injured.

3.  If Kemerer is healthy, I don't think the weight is that big of an issue.  Especially in 2021.

4.  Also don't think Renteria is going to wrestle.

Will Heinselman AA in his career?  maybe.  But I don't think it's a lock, and a low level AA just doesn't cut it points wise.

Rocky Jordan wrestled zero matches last year.  I don't really want to talk about "winning in the room" as it's apocryphal at best.  Ethan Smith at the beginning of the year isn't the same as the guy at the end of the year, we've seen uncountable examples of that throughout wrestling history.  That said, I would agree that, from what we're seeing right now, I think Ohio State's two blue chips, Kharchla and Kerkvliet, are better than Iowa's incoming blue chips, Kennedy, Assad and Sokol.  I'll feel a lot better if Iowa can grab Alex Facundo or Jesse Veasquez or even pry Paddy Gallagher away from Ohio State.

Yeah this all makes sense. 

Man if Iowa gets Facundo this whole post may not matter. I think that kid is going to crush people in college. He is my favorite prospect not in college. I think he is better than Ferrari p4p

16 hours ago, andegre said:

It's been made public that JRent's father was going through chemo last season/year...that's why he wasn't wrestling.

Thanks. I was not aware of that. Is his father ok?

i was blown away by Renteria when he burst onto the college scene. I knew he was good but he shell shacked eventual AA from Rutgers twice as a true freshman. If he starts at 141 he will AA, assuming his cardio issues we’re dur to the weight cut. 

17 hours ago, MSU158 said:

I don't see this as REMOTELY true.

125:  Lee is a distinct favorite at this weight REGARDLESS of who goes 125.

133:  Who is redshirting here that makes any difference for DeSanto?  I have yet to hear Fix even is, let alone Suriano, Micic, Pletcher or even Gross.  This weight is still a MONSTER and so is DeSanto.

141:  Eierman redshirting is deciding Iowa's chances with the one guy that is a likely low AA at best?  I don't see that.

149:  Lugo is in a GREAT spot due to graduation NOT redshirting.

157:  Young benefits from Nolf and Pantaleo graduating.  Hidlay and Deakin are, by all accounts, not redshirting.

165:  Who is redshirting at this weight?  Regardless of whether or not any do, he CAN beat ANYONE at this weight.  He just has to get it done in March.

174:  Again, who is redshirting here?  Hall?  I doubt it.  After that, I would be very surprised if anyone else does.  If anyone benefits at this weight, it will be if Valencia moves to 184.

184:  ???? Wilcke may benefit from Foster, Martin and Parker graduating.  But from someone redshirting?

197:  Do I even need to comment here?

285:  Here as well.......

The REAL reason Iowa has a shot is that they return 7 AA's, 2 R12's and a young 285 with tons of potential.  Add in that PSU graduated Nolf and Nickal, making them somewhat vulnerable(relative to how good they have been). TOSU lost McKenna, Jordan and Martin, while OkState lost Jacobe Smith, Weigel and White.  

So, Iowa returns NINE guys that have finished R12 or better at NCAA's.  PSU returns 6.  tOSU returns 3.  OkState returns 6.  THAT is why they have a real shot.  Their main competition will need their recruits to step right in and fill VERY big shoes.  PSU has proven they can make that happen.  The jury is still out on if tOSU can do it with anyone other than Sasso and OkState will still be EMPTY at 197-285

# of AAs might go to Iowa this year. High end power though? PSU has 6 or 7 guys who will be ranked top 3. Possibly more by the end of the season. 

I want PSU to lose this year. I like them, but I like parity too. If Iowa is the one to do it, awesome. My vote is Cornell (not a prediction, just a want)

6 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yeah this all makes sense. 

Man if Iowa gets Facundo this whole post may not matter. I think that kid is going to crush people in college. He is my favorite prospect not in college. I think he is better than Ferrari p4p

As much as I would prefer him at Iowa over where I think he will end up, I think the Iowa fans are WAAAAY overly optimistic.  Iowa has literally NO ties inside Michigan and haven't had a Michigan recruit since Metcalf and I don't remember one for sometime before him.  Granted Metcalf went to the same school that Facundo is at, but Metcalf being at ISU can't help the Hawkeye's chances.

With that said, by all accounts, Facundo is UofM's to lose.  I don't doubt that he will fully explore all of his options, but, sadly, I would be surprised if he doesn't end up a Wolverine.......

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

# of AAs might go to Iowa this year. High end power though? PSU has 6 or 7 guys who will be ranked top 3. Possibly more by the end of the season. 

I want PSU to lose this year. I like them, but I like parity too. If Iowa is the one to do it, awesome. My vote is Cornell (not a prediction, just a want)

Not arguing PSU having high end power.  However, 7 top 3 guys?  Not happening. Cassar, Hall and Joseph will lock into that.  Lee and Rasheed could possibly get there.  After that,  you saying Beard and Berge?  I guess that is possible, but I don't see it.  RBY is good, but not cracking top 3 at that weight.  Verkleeren?  No chance.  125?  Not happening.

I said from the beginning that I am picking Iowa, but wouldn't bet against PSU.  They consistently have 5 guys that can score big points and Rasheed, if he can stay healthy, would be that 5th guy after Cassar, Hall, Joseph and Lee.  PSU's track record with replacing the Taylors and Ruths is more the X factor than what we know.  If the young 5 generate solid points, they win it again.  If it mainly just comes from the BIG 5,  Iowa's depth at least gives them a solid chance to win.