Jump to content
Housebuye

Spencer Lee isn’t redshirting

Recommended Posts

Spoke to a source close to the program. 

Lee isn’t planning on redshirting, but things could change of course (injury being the most likely reason). 

This came from someone I trust, but these things are never settled until we see them in the mat (or not in this case). 

I got permission from this person to share.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Katie said:

He's not redshirting, but maybe he will. Fascinating.

If the season started today he wouldn’t redshirt. 

If he gets injured between now and then he still has the option. 

Katie I’m a bit surprised. You used to be polite on the forum but recently you’ve attacked people. Hope all is alright with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I’m wondering what this all means in terms of whatever injury, illness, relationship trouble or whatever plagued him last year (and if he’s over it), and if he is planning on taking a shot vs. Gilman and others at 57kg in freestyle - or just focusing on the NCAA season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... i just don't think Spencer needs to redshirt.  He can go through college at the normal pace, and be done when he's done.  Then he moves on (or doesn't) to senior level.  

Either way, fun to watch and is probably the next 4x'er (he and/or Yianni).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

If the season started today he wouldn’t redshirt. 

If he gets injured between now and then he still has the option. 

Katie I’m a bit surprised. You used to be polite on the forum but recently you’ve attacked people. Hope all is alright with you. 

I meant it with a wink-and-smile emoji afterward. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Housebuye said:

If the season started today he wouldn’t redshirt. 

If he gets injured between now and then he still has the option. 

Katie I’m a bit surprised. You used to be polite on the forum but recently you’ve attacked people. Hope all is alright with you. 

It seemed like a friendly jab as opposed to outright hostility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Good info.  Redshirting always seemed like a long shot. 

It would be an odd move to redshirt a guy so he can focus on freestyle, when you won't even let him compete in freestyle in the first place.  

I still wish we could get to the bottom of why he didn’t compete in the world team trials. If it’s because only one HWC wrestler can compete at a time, well that’s just dumb. It got them zero wrestlers on the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigTimeFan said:

I still wish we could get to the bottom of why he didn’t compete in the world team trials. If it’s because only one HWC wrestler can compete at a time, well that’s just dumb. It got them zero wrestlers on the team. 

It got them zero? Like Lee was guaranteed to win it?  Did Gilman not make the Finals and lose in the 3rd match of best of 3?  Did anyone else sit where they were a contender, with another HWC guy at that weight?

The simple truth is Iowa is ALL IN on winning NCAA’s this season focusing on Folkstyle and getting 100% healthy in the off season. 

If it were the Olympic year, I could get the angst. But, it isn’t. By all accounts, this is Iowa's Best chance in 10 years. If Iowa wins it all or even takes a close 2nd to PSU, NOONE is going to care that Lee didn’t wrestle at the 2019 WTT’s.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Iowa wins it all or even takes a close 2nd to PSU, will Spencer Lee care that he passed up an opportunity at bringing back some world-level hardware of his own?

I thought Lee said some time ago something along the lines of, he doesn't care too much about college because being a world champion is his real goal. Maybe I'm misattributing that quote, but it seems like the odds would be in Lee's favor to win that world title this year. Probably moreso than most of our other 57kg guys, anyway.

Edited by pamela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, pamela said:

If Iowa wins it all or even takes a close 2nd to PSU, will Spencer Lee care that he passed up an opportunity at bringing back some world-level hardware of his own?

I thought Lee said some time ago something along the lines of, he doesn't care too much about college because being a world champion is his real goal. Maybe I'm misattributing that quote, but it seems like the odds would be in Lee's favor to win that world title this year. Probably moreso than most of our other 57kg guys, anyway.

Welp, maybe you should talk to him directly. Considering you seem to know what he wants more than he does. Maybe you could remind him that not wrestling goes against his beliefs and the fact that he was only a true sophomore doesn’t matter because he is already on borrowed time. I mean, how many guys make the senior team, let alone win medals when they are 21 or older........

Edited by MSU158

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Welp, maybe you should talk to him directly. Considering you seem to know what he wants more than he does. Maybe you could remind him that not wrestling goes against his beliefs and the fact that he was only a true sophomore doesn’t matter because he is already on borrowed time. I mean, how many guys make the senior team, let alone win medals when they are 21 or older........

That wasn't random conjecture, it was based on something I recalled Spencer Lee saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MSU has a hard time dealing in facts and prefers to wallow in half truths and misleading statistics. Lee did in fact say that which does raise the question of what limitations Brands is putting on him in regard to international competition. Not redshirting flys in the face of Lee's own stated goals and puts him at a disadvantage at OTTs next year.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flying-Tiger said:

MSU has a hard time dealing in facts and prefers to wallow in half truths and misleading statistics. Lee did in fact say that which does raise the question of what limitations Brands is putting on him in regard to international competition. Not redshirting flys in the face of Lee's own stated goals and puts him at a disadvantage at OTTs next year.  

There have been no limitations placed on Lee or any other wrestler. Kind of odd you criticize MSU for avoiding facts and in the very next sentence you just make up something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lee may have said college wrestling comes second to freestyle but as they say, 'things change'. He seems to be a great team player and is all about the team and bringing Iowa back to prominence. If they feel like they have to win a title in order to do that then that's were their focus will be. Gotta feeling that's the root of all the perceived lack of focus on freestyle for Spencer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BTC said:

Lee may have said college wrestling comes second to freestyle but as they say, 'things change'. He seems to be a great team player and is all about the team and bringing Iowa back to prominence. If they feel like they have to win a title in order to do that then that's were their focus will be. Gotta feeling that's the root of all the perceived lack of focus on freestyle for Spencer.  

Gilman said in an interview not long ago that the Iowa wrestling culture emphasizes individual results over team titles (which is probably true for the sport in general, Louden Swain said so). Things could have changed, and maybe the thinking in the Hawkeye wrestling room has changed suddenly and Lee’s top priority is now on the NCAA team race.

But one of the best things Lee could do for Iowa is to win a world title in freestyle. How great would it look for Iowa wrestling to have a world and/or Olympic medalist on their roster? Probably better than a top 2 finish in the team standings instead of their usual 3rd. Besides, some believe 2021 will be Iowa’s year to seize the NCAA team title, not 2020. So that opportunity will still be there for Spencer.

Edited by pamela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Why can’t he do both?  Burroughs won an NCAA title in 2011 and then won a world title right after. 

NCAA or not he will be an underdog to Fix.  

Burroughs didn’t have WTTs two weeks after NCAAs.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...