Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

Post Fargo performance: Which wrestlers are hot recruits now?

11 hours ago, Konquest said:

I was impressed with Maxx Mayfield from Nebraska and Dajun Johnson from Wisconsin.  AFAIK both are uncommitted.

It looks like Mayfield is entering his SR year. I'd like to see him in Lincoln but NU has been recruiting the middle weights pretty heavy. 

29 minutes ago, FriendlyCamper said:

According to Flo, Wilfried Tanefeu is a just a 3rd year wrestler. He won cadet 113 and is entering his junior season. I'm assuming he's only going to get bigger and better. 

I was about to comment the same thing. Kid looked unreal at Fargo. He’s also got a twin who started wrestling this year. If I was a college coach he’d be my first call post-Fargo. 

Flo referred to him as a 3rd year wrestler but the article below sort of suggests the twins might have more experience in freestyle. Unclear...but damn impressive either way. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kxnet.com/sports/hs-wrestling-bismarck-highs-tanefeu-twins-emerging-as-states-best/amp/

The Tanafeu's coach told me they've been wrestling three years. Apparently one an immigration lottery to come to the US (i think from Cameroon) a few years ago.

Their coach is Jeff Schumacher who developed Blees. He also beat John Hughes in Fargo finals many moons ago.

Christian (the one that one GR) aa'd last year at Fargo in FS. 

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

The Tanafeu's coach told me they've been wrestling three years. Apparently one an immigration lottery to come to the US (i think from Cameroon) a few years ago.

Their coach is Jeff Schumacher who developed Blees. He also beat John Hughes in Fargo finals many moons ago.

Christian (the one that one GR) aa'd last year at Fargo in FS. 

Any chance at all Echemendia goes the college route?

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Any chance at all Echemendia goes the college route? 

In Willie's interview with him, he said he would like to join WCAP, which means enlisting in the Army.

Coming to the US this late in from Cuba would probably make it difficult to be cleared to wrestle D1. If he did go the college route, I would guess NJCAA would have to be the choice, like you see out of a lot of international wrestlers (think Mongolia). To make clear, I have no idea what any of his transcripts look like or anything of the sort.

49 minutes ago, PinFallRecruit said:

In Willie's interview with him, he said he would like to join WCAP, which means enlisting in the Army.

Coming to the US this late in from Cuba would probably make it difficult to be cleared to wrestle D1. If he did go the college route, I would guess NJCAA would have to be the choice, like you see out of a lot of international wrestlers (think Mongolia). To make clear, I have no idea what any of his transcripts look like or anything of the sort.

He supposedly had some offers but his English isn't good enough for a 4 year school.  Since they don't offer the SAT in Spanish he wouldn't be able to pass it. If it was offered in Spanish he probably would pass it. Also most colleges teach classes in English, unless it's a foreign language, so he would be kind of screwed there if he did get into a 4 year college.  That's why he is going to try to go WCAP instead because the language barrier doesn't prevent him from doing that. 

10 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

He could join the military and wrestle WCAP and then go to college and wrestle when his time in the military is finished.

14 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I've seen plenty of students get by with similar language skills.  Granted they had the benefit of "taking the SAT" abroad, and they had $$$.  

I had a TA for a college class who barely spoke English. I also had a math professor who barely understood anything we said to him in English, but he was brilliant when it came to math.  Not saying people can't make it in or get by without having a grasp on the English language, but from what I've seen and been told he doesn't have a good enough grasp of it from an academic standpoint to be able to gain admission to a 4 year right away.  No offense to Anthony, but I don't think he's a math genius which is where they kind of overlook language stuff. There were a lot of Chinese students at my university who did what you said though, and were also very wealthy to boot.  

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I had a TA for a college class who barely spoke English. I also had a math professor who barely understood anything we said to him in English, but he was brilliant when it came to math.  Not saying people can't make it in or get by without having a grasp on the English language, but from what I've seen and been told he doesn't have a good enough grasp of it from an academic standpoint to be able to gain admission to a 4 year right away.  No offense to Anthony, but I don't think he's a math genius which is where they kind of overlook language stuff. There were a lot of Chinese students at my university who did what you said though, and were also very wealthy to boot.  

Right, similar experiences here.  I was really just making a joke re: your last sentence.  

USA Wrestling covered Tanefu a little bit, I think it was Wilfred - seems like a really great kid, very humble and self-aware. It will be amazing to see where the level of his wrestling will go with coaching and competition at the next level.

9 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Right, similar experiences here.  I was really just making a joke re: your last sentence.  

Image result for gold lamborghini asu

This is what you see the very wealthy foreign students driving.  If you see this you can safely assume the driver is either Chinese or Arab.  There are a lot of Emirati and Saudi students here too and they all drive cars like this.  One of the less wealthy Saudi guys used to work out at the same gym as me and he ONLY drove a Porsche 911 turbo.  

JUCO could definitely be a option for him.  I wrestled with a bunch of guys that did not speak or understand English very well at all, but they all wanted to improve their education and they were great wrestlers.  Colby JC use to get a lot of foreign athletes and it was a blast wrestling with them.  

I've spoken to Anthony just about daily since Fargo. And i think...beyond the language barrier, i'm not sure how interested he is in folkstyle. 

he likes it but he knows there are nuances to it that he's behind on. he also grew up with freestylers as his idol and freestyle ambitions as opposed to having ncaa glory like most of americans have. 

as much as we all (myself included) would like to see him wrestle in college, i don't think it's in the cards. 

They both have a long way to go until college, but, as an Ohio guy I'd have to go with:

Paddy Gallagher, the best wrestler to come out of Lakewood St. Ed's in a long while and that's saying a lot.

Seth Shumate from Dublin Coffman. Will just be a sophomore, but holy cow, what a beast. His throws are incredible.

13 hours ago, fightingsioux said:

They both have a long way to go until college, but, as an Ohio guy I'd have to go with:

Paddy Gallagher, the best wrestler to come out of Lakewood St. Ed's in a long while and that's saying a lot.

Seth Shumate from Dublin Coffman. Will just be a sophomore, but holy cow, what a beast. His throws are incredible.

Really can’t root against a guy named Paddy. 

21 hours ago, Idaho said:

Really can’t root against a guy named Paddy. 

LOL. Real name is Padraic, called Paddy. If you haven't seen his quarterfinal match with Cael Valencia, check it out on YouTube. IMHO, THE match of the tournament.