southend

Jason Tsirtsis

This is a great hire imo. Tsirtsis is still a huge name in state and also wrestled for Crown Point where Jesse Mendez, probably the state's biggest recruit since Jason, now wrestles. Angel and Alex Tsirtsis were high school teammates back in the day as well, so I think this is a long time connection. Indiana has a lot of underrated talent that doesn't get a lot of hype because IHSAA prevents them from wrestling much out of state. That's how a guy like Parris was able to fly under the radar for so long. If IU can keep the top guys in state, they can probably be a solid top 15-20 team pretty regularly with some upside beyond that.

23 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Hell yeah! If he can rub off on those middleweights, there could be some serious 1-1 double overtime battles in their future. Huge get for Indiana

Not sure any of their middle weights have the talent to only give up one point.  they are certainly capable of only scoring one though.

Edited by wildcatfan1992

23 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Hell yeah! If he can rub off on those middleweights, there could be some serious 1-1 double overtime battles in their future. Huge get for Indiana

42 minutes ago, wildcatfan1992 said:

Not sure any of their middle weights have the talent to only give up one point.  they are certainly capable of only scoring one though.

So what he’s saying is this move could yield some serious improvement against Big10 competition.  Way to turn a negative comment into a positive one. Now that’s optimism!

On another note,  at several points in the Goldman era IU only had two coaches on staff.  On a few rare occasions a third volunteer coach but that was almost always a recently graduated IU wrestler who may have been a one time NCAA qualifier who remained a year or two at best.  Constant cycling of staff and only a few came from having a few years of outside coaching perspective before landing at IU.

Now IU has three paid coaches in Escobedo, Dixon, and I. Jordan, plus adds J. Tsirtsis as a volunteer assistant.  All of which have years of experience wrestling and coaching.  Escobedo and Dixon with a good outside of IU coaching experience, and Jordan wrestling for a out of state school and was from a different state before coming to IU.  I’m not sure anyone can say double the normal coaching staff isn’t a good thing.   And doing so with two recent wrestlers (Jordan and Tsirtsis) who have AA-proven skills, can still hang in the room, and have an outside perspective to me is a bigger positive for the program.  Hopefully they can keep these two around a few years cause I think it’s a big plus for recruiting. 

Edited by MadMardigain

On another note,  at one point if I recall IU only had two coaches on staff Goldman and whatever assistant was there at the time.  Now IU has three paid coaches in Escobedo, Dixon, and I. Jordan.  The addition one another coach and the skills they all bring seem to be an upgrade in itself.  Now they make room for J. Tsirtsis as a volunteer assistant.   I’m not sure anyone can say double the coaching staff and doing so with two recent wrestlers (Jordan and Tsirtsis) who have AA-proven skilled can be anything but a positive for that program.  
Bringing in a mind who has achieved the top of the podium, and known success for 15+ years of grappling is of course a positive. You dont have to be exciting, flashy, successful post college, etc... to become a good coach... especially when you're simply a piece of a bigger puzzle.
That said.... that style was rough too watch. And we're just poking fun.... wish nothing but great things for him.

7 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Bringing in a mind who has achieved the top of the podium, and known success for 15+ years of grappling is of course a positive. You dont have to be exciting, flashy, successful post college, etc... to become a good coach... especially when you're simply a piece of a bigger puzzle.
That said.... that style was rough too watch. And we're just poking fun.... wish nothing but great things for him.

Sorry, I didn’t mean for the last statement to be directed at you for the previous comment.  I could tell you were giving more of a half hearted rib than trying to be a jerk.   I just felt since we were on the subject it was worth pointing out the progress Escobedo continues to try to make at IU.  One that will hopefully see more solid wrestlers give it an honest chance during their recruitment.  

57 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

So what he’s saying is this move could yield some serious improvement against Big10 competition.  Way to turn a negative comment into a positive one. Now that’s optimism!

Sarcasm aside, I think the moves with IU's coaching staff can/will be attractive to some of the top end talent in the state.  What remains to be seen is if they can develop that talent.

4 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

On another note,  at several points in the Goldman era IU only had two coaches on staff.  On a few rare occasions a third volunteer coach but that was almost always a recently graduated IU wrestler who may have been a one time NCAA qualifier who remained a year or two at best.  Constant cycling of staff and only a few came from having a few years of outside coaching perspective before landing at IU.

Now IU has three paid coaches in Escobedo, Dixon, and I. Jordan, plus adds J. Tsirtsis as a volunteer assistant.  All of which have years of experience wrestling and coaching.  Escobedo and Dixon with a good outside of IU coaching experience, and Jordan wrestling for a school/state before coming to IU.  I’m not sure anyone can say double the normal coaching staff isn’t a good thing.   And doing so with two recent wrestlers (Jordan and Tsirtsis) who have AA-proven skills, can still hang in the room, and have an outside perspective to me is a bigger positive for the program.  Hopefully they can keep these two around a few years cause I think it’s a big plus for recruiting. 

Jordan also coached at Ok St.

Tsirtsis is a really good coach.  He got a bad rep for winning OT matches 2-1 or on riding time those matches were against Maple, Houdashelt, Habat and Sorensen (pretty good wrestlers).  He had a lot of majors and tech falls in his career before his injuries and unexpected life tragedies that have been documented.  Not sure if everyone can recall but he was the number 1 overall recruit his senior year beating the number 2 guy by 14 points in the dream team classic then went on to tech fall Caldwell in freestyle.  Pretty sure he beat Zain by tech to win Junior World Team.  This is a great pick up for IU IMO.  

12 hours ago, smitty11 said:

Tsirtsis is a really good coach.  He got a bad rep for winning OT matches 2-1 or on riding time those matches were against Maple, Houdashelt, Habat and Sorensen (pretty good wrestlers).  He had a lot of majors and tech falls in his career before his injuries and unexpected life tragedies that have been documented.  Not sure if everyone can recall but he was the number 1 overall recruit his senior year beating the number 2 guy by 14 points in the dream team classic then went on to tech fall Caldwell in freestyle.  Pretty sure he beat Zain by tech to win Junior World Team.  This is a great pick up for IU IMO.  

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5463146-412-retherford-tsirtsis-134649

He was a 4x Indiana State champ as well, had an amazing high school career. Big pickup for IU, I think this gives them a leg up over Purdue with in state guys and hopefully helps with keeping guys like Chad Red, Micic, and Nick Lee in state

Escobedo said.  "Since day one, our focus has been to keep the best kids in state and I believe having an Indiana legend like Jason will help achieve this goal."

Odd statement considering in-state Tsirtsis chose not to attend IU, and then even when he transferred he didn't want to go to IU.

Edited by KCMO2

9 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Escobedo said.  "Since day one, our focus has been to keep the best kids in state and I believe having an Indiana legend like Jason will help achieve this goal."

Odd statement considering in-state Tsirtsis chose not to attend IU, and then even when he transferred he didn't want to go to IU.

You can't blame him for not wanting to wrestle at IU during the Goldman era.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:01 AM, wildcatfan1992 said:

Sarcasm aside, I think the moves with IU's coaching staff can/will be attractive to some of the top end talent in the state.  What remains to be seen is if they can develop that talent.

After looking at last years team, there is no doubt about what he can do, if and when he gets the talent.