2020 86Kgs rep  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming this field, who wins the spot next year?

• David Taylor
    • J'den Cox
    • Alex Dieringer
    • Bo Nickal
    • Zahid Valencia
    • Pat Downey
    • Other

18 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Even with Tayler healthy it’s Cox’s to lose. Cox won with one leg, covered in crisco and had chairs being tossed at him last time.

Cox showed his true character in gritting out that win.  Taylor showed his true character on Twitter.  Cox is the man in 2020.

Imagine if Downey pulls off a bronze this year and next year for the Olympic spot Taylor, Cox, and Ringer have to duke it out for the right to wrestle Pat Downey in the 2 out of 3 finals. Yikes would that be one massively flawed system. The worst part is (I’m pretty sure) that would make Downey our first alternate. God forbid whomever of Taylor, Cox or Ringer beats Downey and then gets injured before the Olympics we’d be sending Downey over 2 of those other guys.

Side note: I think Cox goes up not down. 

Side side note: if Ringer beats Dake and makes this year’s team he’ll medal and then go 74 next year...especially if Cox does go 86. I know he’s said he’s going up but I think he’ll reconsider. In other words I don’t think we’ll see all these guys going for 86...and for fans of USA wrestling that’s a good thing. 

2 hours ago, headshuck said:

Even with Tayler healthy it’s Cox’s to lose. Cox won with one leg, covered in crisco and had chairs being tossed at him last time.

Nah. Taylor convincingly beat Cox in their first match when Jden was entirely healthy. Jden also had a bye to the finals. Taylor had been wrestling the entire bracket. 

I think if the cut doesn’t effect Cox it’s him. He has gone a completely different level since he won an Olympic medal. And since he beat Taylor. 

As far as Downey winning a medal and getting the bye, how does THAT make it such a flawed system? Because a guy most people don’t like won a medal in the most difficult of 3 world championships in the Olympic cycle???  I don’t like the guy either but come on. 

58 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I think if the cut doesn’t effect Cox it’s him. He has gone a completely different level since he won an Olympic medal. And since he beat Taylor. 

As far as Downey winning a medal and getting the bye, how does THAT make it such a flawed system? Because a guy most people don’t like won a medal in the most difficult of 3 world championships in the Olympic cycle???  I don’t like the guy either but come on. 

Actually, nearly everyone who has met and gotten to know Downey likes him.  Therefore, I would say that most people do like him.  It's just the ones on this forum, nearly all of whom have never met him, that love to bash the guy.  Yeah, in MDogg's mind, a guy winning a bronze medal in the world championships and earning a bye to the O Trials is a flawed system....too much. 

Edited by Blue Dragons

Side note on Cox:. The tides have changed in terms of the confidence people have in him, it also seems like forever ago, and a forgotten thought, that when he came on  the scene he also had to qualify the weight for 2016 in his first match out at the senior level.  We had yet to qualify that weight.

Edited by scramble

9 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

How dare you!?!  Don't you know image.png.28997f7d8a6796c74ede7a7d97d23178.pngimage.png.2250ba9f8e62e78ef66ee4fa274c6397.pngimage.png.0fabf62116719149a3346cbd908ee5c8.pngimage.png.c06c9aeae38c33da6a9559ffe308d36c.pngIf u aint wit him when he down(ey) image.png.033d39e4396c20bbd040f040045ee8f8.pngimage.png.8f620e742a5adad10a1e10f0ecad17f5.pngu ain't wit him when image.png.71b85cae85523f4f96a605a49379ab6e.pngimage.png.a1d3a8c7a32a6186c31ee25842295cdf.pnghe upp(ey)image.png.1932e18dfa7f2467504bb49eae7be999.pngimage.png.de11ccbf95aa57d5a1859cf5eedd8c94.pngimage.png.de904cf2e9d96ab90139e3704d916c85.pngimage.png.5e085711bf092ed7469211edd48c5b80.png   

image.png

Spoken like a Summa Cum Laude grad of THE Johns Hopkins University!  Now get back in your cave (and send me money on GoFundMe, engineers have it rough nowadays...).  

Cox, if he can drop the weight.  Taylor if not.  Big drop off after those two but I'd go Ringer.  Nickal and Downey would be a fun bout to watch.  Valencia a little outgunned physically to roll with this crowd for the time being.  JMHO
I was just thinkin (in regards to Zahid and Marky), if either of then dont take an Olympic Shirt, which I think they will, i wonder if they would bump weights in college (gotta assune yes) unless going down.

15 hours ago, headshuck said:

Remember that was day before weigh-ins. He’ll have to make scratch both days and actually have to wrestle both days, I’ll take Taylor in this scenario. 

Remember that was day before weigh-ins. He’ll have to make scratch both days and actually have to wrestle both days, I’ll take Taylor in this scenario. 

Maturity, recognition of the difficulty of the process, enough time to plan it out, (personal) team he is able to create being a multi time world medalist/champ

vs

college kid still trying to figure it out.

If he does drop, I very much doubt making weight and being able to compete, will be an issue

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

Maturity, recognition of the difficulty of the process, enough time to plan it out, team he is able to create being a multi time world medalist/champ
vs
college kid still trying to figure it out.

If he does drop, I very much doubt making weight and being able to compete, will be an issue

Cox will look similar to how Green looked in 16, sucked down and ineffective, these new rules are meant to discourage these massive cuts. 

Cox will look similar to how Green looked in 16, sucked down and ineffective, these new rules are meant to discourage these massive cuts. 
Lol wow went from favoring Taylor under these circumstances, to assuming Cox wont be competitive with any of the top guys.
0% chance Cox looks as bad as Green did. Also in those smaller bodies an 11lb drop is much more debilitating

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Lol wow went from favoring Taylor under these circumstances, to assuming Cox wont be competitive with any of the top guys.
0% chance Cox looks as bad as Green did. Also in those smaller bodies an 11lb drop is much more debilitating

I’ve been pretty clear on my point from the beginning, the new rules will be a detriment to Cox if he decides to cut. Not much into reading huh? There’s a much higher chance Cox looks like Green at 86 than looking like himself at 97

I’ve been pretty clear on my point from the beginning, the new rules will be a detriment to Cox if he decides to cut. Not much into reading huh? There’s a much higher chance Cox looks like Green at 86 than looking like himself at 97
Yeah I don't need to read that argument it was my stance the previous 2 years (he would def need to go up, the cut is too severe) the more I've thought about it and become reasonable, I've shiifted stances. Crazy us posters know his body better than him ?