Sign in to follow this  
freestyle_fan

its official - Komeil GHASEMI (IRI) is the new 2012 Olympics Gold Medal winner for 120KG

Just now read an article on UWW site..https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/ioc-determines-taymazov-fails-london-re-test

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (July 26) – The IOC Disciplinary Commission (DC) rendered its decision against Artur TAYMAZOV (UZB) who failed a reanalysis of his anti-doping test at the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Taymazov tested positive for the prohibited substance dehydrochlormethyltestosterone (oral turinabol).

The Uzbek wrestler had earned a gold medal in freestyle wrestling at 120kg and his removal will re-shuffle the order of medalists at the 2012 London Games. Komeil GHASEMI (IRI) will become the new gold medalist, Bilyal MAKHOV (RUS) remains silver, and Tervel DLAGNEV (USA) will be the newest bronze medalist.

Gold: Komeil GHASEMI (IRI)
Silver: Bilyal MAKHOV (RUS)
Bronze: Tervel DLAGNEV (USA)
Bronze: Daulet SHABANBAY (KAZ)

Taymazov may opt to appeal the IOC DC decision before CAS within 21 days. United World Wrestling will then determine the sanctions faced by the athlete.

Did Ghasemi wrestle Makhov at the Olympics? Or is he just awarded the gold over Makhov because he lost to Taymazov and Makhov lost to Modzanashvilli? Seems crazy to do that if that’s the case

3 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Did Ghasemi wrestle Makhov at the Olympics? Or is he just awarded the gold over Makhov because he lost to Taymazov and Makhov lost to Modzanashvilli? Seems crazy to do that if that’s the case

There is no good way to do this because the split bracket means that neither of them has a common opponent.  The only good way would be to go back in time and have them wrestle, but if i've learned anything from movies, that might cause other unforeseen issues.  .  

Edited by Billyhoyle

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

There is no good way to do this because the split bracket means that neither of them has a common opponent.  The only good way would be to go back in time and have them wrestle, but if i've learned anything from movies, that might cause other unforeseen issues.  .  

Yeah I get that but Olympic gold is such a huge deal that I don’t think they should just hand it out based on which side of the bracket they are on. Maybe just have them do shared gold or even a shared silver and no champ? They already share a bronze medal

On 7/27/2019 at 8:07 AM, Billyhoyle said:

Everything up to and including the end of the universe. 

For some reason, I thought all Senior level wrestlers were subject to year round, random testing (similar to the way USADA tests UFC athletes), but that's obviously not the case.

I guess that's just too expensive, but if day of competition testing is all they face, I imagine there are a lot of wrestlers on PEDs.

From what (admittedly little) I understand, cycling PED use to test clean on a specific day is almost trivially simple, and potentially losing a medal years later doesn't seem like much of a deterrent.

I'm also surprised that NCAA wrestlers aren't tested until nationals, and even then, they apparently only test the top finishers.  If that's correct, it's no wonder no one has ever popped.

I thought this positives are coming up now because the tests have become more sensitive and are detecting PEDs at levels that were undetectable a few years ago.

I think this is great that they are still trying to find cheaters years after the competition has ended and the medals have been awarded.

This is from the USADA website, the section on sample testing (I imagine that these days all governing bodies have a similar rule):

“For deterrence purposes, anti-doping agencies may also request that the lab keep frozen samples beyond the required period of three months, and even up to 10 years. A sample can be reanalyzed at any time using new, state-of-the-art detection methods.”