TBar1977

Day 1 Draws for Cadet Worlds (link)

Howard came out like a ball of fire and got a quick 4-0 lead on JPN. He then lost a 50-50 type position and JPN scored 2 with a few seconds left in period 1, now its 4-2. His corner challenged and lost, so 4-3. JPN scores two step pts in period 2 and wins 5-4. Disappointing. 

JPN was very sound and Robbie could not beat him in the ties once his energy level dropped. 

Throwback Kevin Jackson performance

Howard comes out the block so hard, and can't sustain.   And these are 4-minute matches.  Gonna have to have some self-control with his pacing at the next level. 

Edited by LemonPie

Well. That puts a terrible cap on a bad two days of wrestling.  At this point there's really no way to spin this.  

- At most, we will come away with 2 medals, statistically our worst performance since 2013.
- Our known commodities (Howard, Figueroa, Facundo) all underperformed--if Facundo medals I suppose you can say he met baseline expectations.
- Our unknowns (except McGowan) didn't surprise anyone like we have in recent years... for the most part they got demolished.  I do think Mendez can come back and medal next year.
- We lost almost every close bout.
- We gave up leads to lose crucial matches.

Looking forward to Juniors.  Think we've got a strong team there.  

58 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

At most, we will come away with 2 medals, statistically our worst performance since 2013.

What’s makes that even more disappointing is that in a few of those years we had cadet eligible guys who moved up to juniors (and medaled). Lee, Steveson and I believe Snyder was still cadet eligible when he won his first junior title (but am not positive). I do know he was touted as the youngest American to win a junior gold in a very long time so it’s an educated guess on my part. 

To my there are no cadet eligible guys on the junior team this year...so this year’s team marks an even steeper drop-off from the quality of our cadets the past 5-6 years. Hopefully this is just a young team with a lot of guys still cadet eligible next season (I’m not sure about that and don’t know how to look it up). 

I’ve got high hopes for the junior team this year. Strong core of Brooks, Vito, Carr and Brayton Lee...with lots of other guys who looked like legit medal threats at the trials. Real shame Iowa pulled Cassioppi, because he looked like a strong title contender and could’ve made this team look like a team race favorite on paper.

Day 2 Final Update:

'There is no way to describe this Cadet Worlds performance besides disappointing. Both Stevo Poulin and Robbie Howard were winning their bronze matches (6-0 and 4-0, respectively) and both lost to take 5th. Additionally, only Facundo will be brought into repechage from the Day 2 group. The only bright spot of the day was Marc-Anthony McGowan, who will wrestle for gold tomorrow. The USA has never not won a gold medal at Cadet Worlds since its reinstatement in 2011, and they have a shot at breaking that streak tomorrow. Additionally, the USA hasn't won less than 4 medals at Cadets since 2013, and they can only win 2 this year. 

Luckily for the USA, the women's team is amazing. Please watch as much of that as you can, they will win more than 1 medal for sure.' Thanks Yank!

2 hours ago, MDogg said:

What’s makes that even more disappointing is that in a few of those years we had cadet eligible guys who moved up to juniors (and medaled). Lee, Steveson and I believe Snyder was still cadet eligible when he won his first junior title (but am not positive). I do know he was touted as the youngest American to win a junior gold in a very long time so it’s an educated guess on my part. 

To my there are no cadet eligible guys on the junior team this year...so this year’s team marks an even steeper drop-off from the quality of our cadets the past 5-6 years. Hopefully this is just a young team with a lot of guys still cadet eligible next season (I’m not sure about that and don’t know how to look it up). 

I’ve got high hopes for the junior team this year. Strong core of Brooks, Vito, Carr and Brayton Lee...with lots of other guys who looked like legit medal threats at the trials. Real shame Iowa pulled Cassioppi, because he looked like a strong title contender and could’ve made this team look like a team race favorite on paper.

Fair point.  On the other hand, we've had a lot of things go right for us at cadets in recent years.  Good draws, toss ups won, etc.  This team frankly wasn't as good, and also didn't catch some of those same breaks.    

Re: Juniors, it's not quite as good as our 2017 squad but I expect something like 5  medals with a good shot at 2 - 3 champs.  

37 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Fair point.  On the other hand, we've had a lot of things go right for us at cadets in recent years.  Good draws, toss ups won, etc.  This team frankly wasn't as good, and also didn't catch some of those same breaks.    

Re: Juniors, it's not quite as good as our 2017 squad but I expect something like 5  medals with a good shot at 2 - 3 champs.  

We’ve got a series of big question marks when it comes to the upper weights on this year’s junior team. Our first 6 weights are very solid and have the makings of a real team threat...but then in my opinion the medal potential drops substantially after 79kg. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see a lot of medal potential out of Hidlay, Davidson, Sloan and Parris.

I would be thrilled to be wrong on this though...

6 hours ago, MDogg said:

We’ve got a series of big question marks when it comes to the upper weights on this year’s junior team. Our first 6 weights are very solid and have the makings of a real team threat...but then in my opinion the medal potential drops substantially after 79kg. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see a lot of medal potential out of Hidlay, Davidson, Sloan and Parris.

Hidlay and Parris both have a fair shot at medaling 

Sloan keeps beating people he isn’t supposed to

This could end up being great. Remember guys like Elam and Brooks came out of nowhere. 

15 hours ago, MDogg said:

Well... in the first six weights Yaya and B Lee are also question marks.  I like Hidlay's chances to medal a bit more than those two.   

And Tagg looked great at trials, but he took some lumps overseas last year.  

Brooks, Vito, and Carr I would be surprised to see not medal. 

On 7/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, LemonPie said:

Throwback Kevin Jackson performance

Howard comes out the block so hard, and can't sustain.   And these are 4-minute matches.  Gonna have to have some self-control with his pacing at the next level. 

Humbly disagree when you encourage pacing- the elite need to expand their gas tank to go all-out for six straight minutes at the next level (obviously if it was that easy we would all do it). 

Edited by bnwtwg

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Well... in the first six weights Yaya and B Lee are also question marks.  I like Hidlay's chances to medal a bit more than those two.   

I probably shouldn’t have lumped Hidlay in with the other 3. I didn’t think he looked like a world medal threat in the 2/3 matchups against Marcelli (though he won them fairly easily), but I didn’t give him enough credit for how good he looked when he tore through a stacked bracket at the US Open. 

I think Yahya is a sleeper. In the last 4 matches we’ve seen him wrestle he’s beaten O’Toole (2 times in a row), Josh Saunders, and Alirez by a combined score of 19-0. None of those guys have been able to score a single point on him and as we’ve seen in recent years defense travels well at the junior level. 

1 minute ago, MDogg said:

I probably shouldn’t have lumped Hidlay in with the other 3. I didn’t think he looked like a world medal threat in the 2/3 matchups against Marcelli (though he won them fairly easily), but I didn’t give him enough credit for how good he looked when he tore through a stacked bracket at the US Open. 

I think Yahya is a sleeper. In the last 4 matches we’ve seen him wrestle he’s beaten O’Toole (2 times in a row), Josh Saunders, and Alirez by a combined score of 19-0. None of those guys have been able to score a single point on him and as we’ve seen in recent years defense travels well at the junior level. 

Hidlay I think is just still very raw, especially in free, but he's on a steep trajectory.  That's the reason I think he's got a good shot at a medal, he keeps making jumps.  

Fair point on Yahya, maybe I'm underrating him.  O'Toole, Saunders, and Alirez are still kids, but they're all talented, and he handled them. We don't exactly have the best track record at 65kg though (at any level).  

3 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

We don't exactly have the best track record at 65kg though (at any level).  

True except for 2 years ago when another largely unknown kid (Deakin) come out of the same Northwestern room as Yahya and took home silver.

And yes I know that was technically 66kg but that’s splitting hairs.

4 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Tagg looked phenomenal at Junior Trials, and Yaya as well.  Was not expecting either to jump levels like that.

2 hours ago, MDogg said:

True except for 2 years ago when another largely unknown kid (Deakin) come out of the same Northwestern room as Yahya and took home silver.

And yes I know that was technically 66kg but that’s splitting hairs.

After he beat Yianni I just assumed he was a medal contender, and was actually surprised he didn't win it all.  Probably shouldn't have been, but Yianni was a freestyle legend even then.

28 minutes ago, whaletail said:

After he beat Yianni I just assumed he was a medal contender, and was actually surprised he didn't win it all.  Probably shouldn't have been, but Yianni was a freestyle legend even then.

True but IMO that wasn’t full strength Yianni. That match was in early May and Yianni had just had major elbow surgery in January that made him miss the rest of his senior high school season.