Sign in to follow this  
Luke The Drifter

Rice University

Pretty impressive resume for his education and time in corporate America. 

It would probably take a lot to add a brand new wrestling program at a small, expensive Texas university with world class academics, but who knows, maybe he can do it.

53 minutes ago, Sheerstress said:

Pretty impressive resume for his education and time in corporate America. 

It would probably take a lot to add a brand new wrestling program at a small, expensive Texas university with world class academics, but who knows, maybe he can do it.

Travel budget would also probably be bloated given the location...would have to fly to a lot of duals and tournaments.

I live down the street from them.  They have no club.  They also don't care much about athletics.  They have other concerns that are far more important to them.  I'd be shocked if they ever added any sport, let alone wrestling.  

14 hours ago, gowrestle said:

He is an analytical guy. I’m sure he has crunched the numbers. Doubt you will see wrestling at Rice.  

Rice has enough $$$ to do whatever they want.  The question is do they really want to add the sport of wrestling.

44 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Rice has enough $$$ to do whatever they want.  The question is do they really want to add the sport of wrestling.

Surely not, given location and difficulty to gain admission to the school.

38 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Rice University, sure.  Rice Athletics is a different story.  There are plenty of schools that could theoretically support wrestling.  Realistically it will take either a sizable gift or strategic fit for new programs to take shape.  

Re: adding wrestling at Rice, it's not a strategic fit for a whole host of different reasons, outside of a tenuous connection with the AD's wrestling history.  Just to name a few:

- No history of D1 wrestling succeeding at private universities in the south 
- No in-state D1 programs
- No wrestling in Conference USA
- No connection to an alumni support base
- No issues attracting undergraduate students (one of the most selective private universities in the country)
- No connection to the University's mission (i.e. their mission is research and innovation, not serving the education needs of their local constituents)

15 hours ago, gowrestle said:

He is an analytical guy. I’m sure he has crunched the numbers. Doubt you will see wrestling at Rice.  

He's also a great place to start when people ask if wrestlers can be highly intelligent and/ or have highly successful careers outside of the sport

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Don’t disagree regarding the wealth of Rice but any decision would be based on using a management approach. At this point, collegiate wrestling doesn’t add up in Texas. That may change considering the growth of high school wrestling in the Lone Star State. 

8 hours ago, boconnell said:

I live down the street from them.  They have no club.  They also don't care much about athletics.  They have other concerns that are far more important to them.  I'd be shocked if they ever added any sport, let alone wrestling.  

This thread taught me that apparently Rice has good academics.

I’ve never heard much about them other than when they won the college baseball World Series in the early 2000’s.

Nice campus in a cool neighborhood though.  Took a jog through it when I was in the area for work a couple years ago.

12 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

You can’t conflate a school’s endowment with its athletic department budget. 

Odd use of the word conflate. Or incredibly accurate.

11 hours ago, 1032004 said:

This thread taught me that apparently Rice has good academics.

I’ve never heard much about them other than when they won the college baseball World Series in the early 2000’s.

Nice campus in a cool neighborhood though.  Took a jog through it when I was in the area for work a couple years ago.

#1 rated college in the entire southwest.  Legitimately on par with Ivy leagues.  Huge endowment and super small enrollment.  Ties to NASA and others.  Kennedy's famous speech about us going to the moon was there.  They do a house system for every student like Princeton does (or Harry Potter).  They just don't care about the same stuff as most colleges.  They are bad at almost all sports (baseball and a few exceptions), and they have leaned into it and stopped caring.  Niche university with colossal (well earned) academic pride.

College wrestling in Texas will unfortunately be viable only in the enrollment driven small universities.  I could maybe see a large public school adding women's wrestling if it counts as a women's sport, but even then not men's.  There is just no groundswell, no support, and no real need.  We have one great HS and that school is located less than 3 hours from OU.  We create maybe half a dozen NCAA qualifiers in a great year and they all happily leave.  I'd love to see it at a big school but just don't see it happening.

16 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

You can’t conflate a school’s endowment with its athletic department budget. 

There is enough oil & natural gas money affiliated with Rice that starting a program would not be a concern.  The issue becomes who would they wrestle and why would they want to travel half way around the world to compete.  I do not see Rice beginning a wrestling program in the next ten years.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

There is enough oil & natural gas money affiliated with Rice that starting a program would not be a concern.  The issue becomes who would they wrestle and why would they want to travel half way around the world to compete.  I do not see Rice beginning a wrestling program in the next ten years.

The oil and gas money powers the MBA program and the engineering.  It has zero affect on football.  It would have no affect on wrestling.

Pretty disappointing to see the former wrestler as an AD at a school without wrestling.  I guess when money is involved, supporting the sport that made you doesn’t matter.  Those former lightweights just don’t have much backbone 

Pretty disappointing to see the former wrestler as an AD at a school without wrestling.  I guess when money is involved, supporting the sport that made you doesn’t matter.  Those former lightweights just don’t have much backbone 

dyeuYpC.jpg

I have no idea what makes sense for Rice.

But in terms of women's wrestling in general, the two states with the most high school participants are California and Texas. It would be nice to see some of those wrestlers have college opportunities close to home.

Edited by Katie

17 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

You two are serious?

I certainly hope not since the entire point of college is to have a career which provides financial growth for your family. Otherwise you might as well hang out on the beach getting stoned. 

I certainly hope not since the entire point of college is to have a career which provides financial growth for your family. Otherwise you might as well hang out on the beach getting stoned. 

I don’t know man, it’s absolutely absurd someone who wrestled didn’t get a job at a school with wrestling. They should say no to all those schools because their money is no good to us!