Sign in to follow this  
buckeyehomer

Who will go another cycle?

I bet Taylor keeps going unless he gets a lucrative coaching opportunity somewhere. I could see Burroughs trying for a couple more years if he is a gold away from breaking john smith's record too. 

5 hours ago, buckeyehomer said:

I would have to think Dake and Taylor will be done after 2020, but could we see Cox and Snyder make a run for Paris?

Based on the statistics of when wrestlers peak and drop off (not my opinion of any of them individually), it’s very unlikely we see Dake, Taylor and especially JB on the 2024 team. Dake and Taylor would be 33 and JB would be 36. Jake Varner is currently 33. The stats even say Snyder and Cox will be past their peak windows...Cox will be 29 and Snyder will be just shy of 29. Do I personally think Cox and Snyder will be too old in 2024 to make the team? No...but the statistics are the statistics and they say they’ll be past their primes.

To put it in perspective, in 2024 Cox and Snyder will be roughly one year older than Kyle Dake is today. That’s not to mention, assuming both Cox and Taylor are at 97kg in 2024, they’re going to have a crop of young studs gunning for the weight as well. There’s a lot of young talent out there among the emerging lighter heavyweights and 197 pounders. 

2024 will be about the next freestyle crop or superstars: Yianni, Gable, Fix, Lee, Hall, Zahid, Brooks, Mekhi...who statistically speaking should all be smack in their primes. I personally think Nolf belongs on that list too but, like Taylor and others at his age, he hasn’t proven it yet in freestyle.

Edited by MDogg

6 hours ago, buckeyehomer said:

I would have to think Dake and Taylor will be done after 2020, but could we see Cox and Snyder make a run for Paris?

I agree about Dake and Taylor.  I think Snyder will be trying, he just has too much fun with it.  Cox, I think, is now feeling the success and may well choose to continue.  Snyder will be the Bruce Baumgartner of 97kg.  He'll quit when he wants to.

mspart

9 hours ago, Perry said:

I bet Taylor keeps going unless he gets a lucrative coaching opportunity somewhere. I could see Burroughs trying for a couple more years if he is a gold away from breaking john smith's record too. 

He may end up with more Titles but he will never get SIX in a row.

John Smith is the greatest wrestler this nation has ever produced.

Burroughs is excellent and a joy to watch on the mat. Love seeing how Cox is getting more aggressive.

Six in a row is the Gold standard and adding in Master of Technique and Wrestler of the Year awards. His record of 150 - 3 on the International stage is one no other American has matched.

Edited by WillieBoy

Personally I would not be suprised if Taylor and Dake stick around, just because of how long it took them to actually make it, but then have the success they did. Hopefully they do, because even if they are on the downswing, their talent would definitely help our depth.

John retired at 26 I believe.  His knee was terrible, and he had disappeared for months before the trials in 92.  Once he healed up, he probably would have been in his prime for another 4 or 5 years...  He had to step down to be the head coach at OSU, but I watched him work out with an Olympic Champ 4 years later, and he was still dominant.

JB will be done. Of he doesn't get gold he might pop up for a shot at world's in a couple years and as a stretch maybe pop up in 2024, but I don't think he makes the team in 2024.  Realistically I think he is done after this cycle.  Dave too. He has had to many injuries. 

O would actually be surprised if DT retired. I think he keeps going.  I also think Cox keeps going.  Maybe he slows down or takes a year off but I think he hangs around. 

Snyder will be around. 

I think Gwiz retires. 

Green retires.

Graff retires

Colon retired

Zain retires

Gilman retires.

10 hours ago, scramble said:

JB will be done. Of he doesn't get gold he might pop up for a shot at world's in a couple years and as a stretch maybe pop up in 2024, but I don't think he makes the team in 2024.  Realistically I think he is done after this cycle.  Dave too. He has had to many injuries. 

O would actually be surprised if DT retired. I think he keeps going.  I also think Cox keeps going.  Maybe he slows down or takes a year off but I think he hangs around. 

Snyder will be around. 

I think Gwiz retires. 

Green retires.

Graff retires

Colon retired

Zain retires

Gilman retires.

I agree with pretty much all your predictions. I expect JB to keep competing after Tokyo, but no way I think he makes the 2024 team at 36 years old. I suspect he has commercial reasons to keep competing...I’d imagine some of his sponsorship deals are contingent on him still being out there. Just my guess though. 

I think whether or not DT continues will come down to whether or not he wins an Olympic gold next year. If he doesn’t I think he will 100% continue through the next quad. If he does I could see him landing a D1 head coaching job (even though as an athletic director he wouldn’t be my pick). 

Dake’s a little different. I think he 100% retires if he wins an Olympic gold but unlike Taylor I think there’s a strong chance he retires even if he doesn’t. He’s been more banged up than Taylor and I got the impression he has more of a near-term high level coaching interest than DT. 

Today we are seeing in all sports a later/longer peak. Athletes are staying competitive longer. Sometimes you age out and sometimes the younger guys take you out. I could see Dake and Taylor hanging around especially because one or both aren't going in 2020. That Olympic dream is hard to extinguish.