nom

Poland Open Tourney Aug 2-4

Someone was saying yianni should have wrestled in poland instead of dogu because it will be tougher, when someone said hes just looking for competition. Hopefully they are no longer upset at him showing up at dogu, since hes doing both.

Edited by Molsen

I'm a bit confused about Yianni wrestling ... folk are talking about how hard it is to peak for multiple big tournaments.  I have no experience with this.  Yianni has the US Open, Final X, Dogu, Poland, Potentially Zain, and Potentially World Championships.  That's a lot of peaking.

People also say that the US is notorious for staying closer to peak condition and form throughout the year. So even if he isn't peaking, hes likely close enough to compete like he is. But if the US does stay close to top form, why dont more wrestle and get the experience?

Edited by Molsen

He's wrestling like someone who is taking an Olympic shirt.  What a stud.  I admire him and the Zain Train and what both of them bring to our National Team.  I just think it's fun to see a young man refuse to be a Sea Biscuit.  I know it's sometimes hard to describe, but those of us who have seen "special" recognize it when we see it.  I knew when I saw Gable and Wells and Cross and Brands and Schultz's and Steiners and Sheets and Dake and Pat Smith and John Smith and their older brother Lee Roy Smith and Kenny and Alger and Cael and Snyder and Jordan Burroughs, and The Kellers and Fuji and others, but I've seen it a lot. I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong in the future, but I'd put my money on Yianni being one of the special ones.

Edited by Peso

15 hours ago, nom said:

Any info on which Americans may be wrestling in Poland?

Yianni is -- heard that.  Anyone have a sense for the competition in his weight class?

Very cool that Yianni gets to travel with his teammate and buddy Berreyesa who is in GR at 77.

Why wouldn't you travel and see the world on someone else's dime if you can? Yianni is special and I love that he's always looking to compete. When he hasn't been injured he's been competing and looking for the best guys to go up against. Much respect, really hope he ends up as our rep over Zain

20 hours ago, Molsen said:

Someone was saying yianni should have wrestled in poland instead of dogu because it will be tougher, when someone said hes just looking for competition. Hopefully they are no longer upset at him showing up at dogu, since hes doing both.

Him showing up in Poland bolsters that argument. The main argument against was that he wrestled at Dogu because he wanted competition and that fit his schedule best. Seeing as how he's going to Poland, that argument doesn't hold up.

1 hour ago, qc8223 said:

Him showing up in Poland bolsters that argument. The main argument against was that he wrestled at Dogu because he wanted competition and that fit his schedule best. Seeing as how he's going to Poland, that argument doesn't hold up.

No, it literally means he is looking to compete. If he only wrestled dogu then you could argue he went to hurt zains chance

38 minutes ago, Molsen said:

No, it literally means he is looking to compete. If he only wrestled dogu then you could argue he went to hurt zains chance

My argument was that if he wanted to compete, he could go to Poland or another tournament instead of Dogu, which I think should have been reserved for team members. Him competing at Poland does nothing to undercut that argument. It just proves that if he wanted competition, he didn't have to get it at Dogu. He could have gone elsewhere. The argument being made on here was that if he wanted to compete this summer he had to compete at Dogu due to scheduling issues. That is obviously not the case.

1 hour ago, Alwayswrestling said:

I doubt Yiani has a hard time making the 65Kg weight so getting in as much competition seems ok to me.

I'm thrilled he's going to Poland. My whole argument is that he should not have been at Dogu because he ruined the tune up tournament for Zain. None of the other reserves went and the word from Flo is that USA wrestling didn't want him to go either, but didn't have the authority to stop him so they had to roll with it.

Just now, qc8223 said:

My argument was that if he wanted to compete, he could go to Poland or another tournament instead of Dogu, which I think should have been reserved for team members. Him competing at Poland does nothing to undercut that argument. It just proves that if he wanted competition, he didn't have to get it at Dogu. He could have gone elsewhere. The argument being made on here was that if he wanted to compete this summer he had to compete at Dogu due to scheduling issues. That is obviously not the case.

He wanted to compete, and shouldnt be told no for an international tournament that isnt worlds. If hes not able to compete at worlds, he should wrestle as many tournaments as he can to get that international experience, to prepare for next year.

15 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Yianni was on here arguing what his summer schedule was and when he had to compete if he wanted to?

15 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Because you argued against people who were simply speculating, it does not make you right if their speculation turned out to be wrong. Bottom line here;  Yianni wants to compete whenever he is able and people like you can cry all you want but have zero power to influence his decision. Get over it.

10 minutes ago, nom said:

Saw on Twitter that Willie from Flo said Yianni is coming up on Mat A.  But that’s all I have.  Anyone know how best to track this tourney?

sikom_d Twitter has a link to YouTube video Yianni will be mat #1 on his link

Edited by justafan