Sign in to follow this  
freestyle_fan

2019 World Championships - Top Contender, Challengers and Underdog

Hi All,

I know we have 6 more weeks to go for 2019 World Championships, but why not share our thoughts on contenders, challengers and underdogs. I took a first stab at, this is just my opinion, your thoughts/comments are welcome!

Few Disclaimers before i start:

* Yianni vs Zain on 2nd Sept

* My underdog picks more specific to winning GOLD.

57kg
Top Contender: Nurislam (Artas) SANAYEV 
Challengers: Zaur Uguev (RUS), Yuki Takahasi (JPN)
Under Dog: Daton Fix (USA)

61kg
Top Contender: YBR (Cuba)
Challengers: Magomedrasul IDRISOV
Under Dog: Tyler Graff (USD), Rahul Aware (IND)

65kg
Top Contenders: Bajrang (IND), Otoguro (JPN)
Challengers: Akhmad Chakaev/ Rashidov(RUS), Haji Aliyev (AZE)
Under Dog: Zain/Yianni

70kg
Top Contenders: David Baev(RUS), Adam Batirov (BRN)
Challengers: Zurabi Iakobishvli (GEO)
Under Dog: Kaipanov (KAZ)

74kg
Top Contender:  Sidakov(RUS)
Challengers: Frank Chamizo (ITA), JB (USA)
Under Dog: Yakup Gor/Soner Demirtas (TUR)

79kg
Top Contender: Kyle Dake (USA)
Challengers: Nabiev(RUS), Hasanov (AZE)
Under Dog: Ali Shabanau(BLR)

86kg
Top Contender: Hassan Yazdani (IRI)
Challengers: Artur Naifnov(RUS), Boriz Makoev (SLV)
Under Dog: Fatih Erdin (TUR),Deepak Punia (IND)

92kg
Top Contenders: J'Den Cox
Challengers: Sharifov (AZE), Jabrailov(RUS)
Under Dog: Karimi (IRI)

97kg
Top Contender: Sadulaev (RUS)
Challengers: Snyder (USA), Aliaksandr Hushtyn(BLR)
Under Dog: Gatsalov (Aremnia)

125kg
Top Contender:  Geno Petriashivilli
Challengers: Taha Akgul, RUS
Under Dog: Gwiz

Edited by freestyle_fan
Removed Reza Yazdani from 97kg as he is not participating

nice! solid list. i think the olympic weights are going to be incredibly deep because Olympic qualifying spots are on the line, and that may cause some guys to change weights from where you have them, but they're all studs regardless. also Gadhzimagomedov at 79kg is done for the year and won't be competing in Kazakhstan. 

74kg will be so tight between Sidakov/JB/Chamizo, very exciting. And the competition at 65kg is DEEP. 

Excited to see Sad-Kyle part III and for Sad to establish beyond doubt his superiority. 

I'd also make Taha a favourite at 125kg FWIW. 

51 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Agree with most of your list (though I don't really get the logic of your challenger/underdog distinction - e.g. why is Karimi an underdog whilst Sharifov is a challenger?). 

The distinction in this case (86kg) is definitely debatable, but i guess if you look into 97kg, Reza Yadnai being underdog makes perfect sense. I am sure you know this - but typically Underdog is someone who is not expected to win (either because of new entrant, not-so-good results in the recent, re-entries after long break etc.) but wins.

Considering Karimi did defeat sharifov last year world's, Karimi has to be a challenger. I am not sure what i was thinking when i wrote this for 86kg. So that would probably leave Dato (GEO) as Underdog.

Although I think Snyder is probably more of an underdog than challenger at 97, JB/Sidakov both the top contenders at 74 (with Chamizo the challenger), and Bajrang just a challenger at 65, your list is pretty exhaustive, and very well organized.

Just out of curiosity, I assume you meant to leave Green off the underdog list at 70?  Although I don't think he has a real shot at gold, and thus agree, I do think a draw dependent bronze is within reach.

7 hours ago, Katie said:

At 4:13 of this video you'll see that Cormier bet Khabib $1500 that JB will beat whoever Russia sends out next month. The bet goes up to $3k for a tech.

Starting at 3:05, you'll see that Cormier was willing to bet $15k on JB.

That is a very interesting video or side note I must say. However,  I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with the top contenders, challengers and possible underdogs at this year's worlds. Burroughs is on f-fan's list. Am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time

2 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

That is a very interesting video or side note I must say. However,  I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with the top contenders, challengers and possible underdogs at this year's worlds. Burroughs is on f-fan's list. Am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time

I believe you’re missing the part where Cormier put money on JB beating the Russian rep this year.

By way of comparison, freestyle_fan favors Sidakov.

11 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

Any rumblings out of DPRK?  I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they show up with a never-before-heard-of 57Kg who medals or qualities the weight top 6.

What are people hearing out of North Korea? I’m gonna go out on a limb and say not much.

15 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

Any rumblings out of DPRK?  I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they show up with a never-before-heard-of 57Kg who medals or qualities the weight top 6.

I agree, DPRK had produced surprises in the past specially in 57kg, actually 1-2 cycles leading into Rio Olympics, DPRK guy (forgot his name, Kong ??) was leading the pack and defeated Kinche 1-2 times! I don’t remember any notable wins in 57 kg by DPRK lately, but S.LEE in 65kg gave tough matches to Bajrang in Asia level competitions

20 minutes ago, freestyle_fan said:

I agree, DPRK had produced surprises in the past specially in 57kg, actually 1-2 cycles leading into Rio Olympics, DPRK guy (forgot his name, Kong ??) was leading the pack and defeated Kinche 1-2 times! I don’t remember any notable wins in 57 kg by DPRK lately, but S.LEE in 65kg gave tough matches to Bajrang in Asia level competitions

Yeah it’s pretty crazy North Korea can produce world gold level guys. I wonder what the wrestling culture is like there. Are here certain areas that have high participation? Or do they just pick the super athletic kids at an early age and put them in various sports?

I am sure this was discussed in the past - Khadzimurat Gatsalov will be partcipating in 97kg representing Armenia in Nur-Sultan. Both Reza Yadzdani (34) and Gatsalov (36), let's wait and see how they fare with the younger guys in 97kg. 

I think 97kg at Nur-Sultan is going to be very interesting. I am hoping we will get to see Snyderlaev III, they both are separated ( Snyder being rank-1 and Sad as rank-2 in UWW rankings) in brackets. I don't think Snyder ever played against Reza Yazdani, I know Gats and Snyder played multiple times (including the beat the streets). So, Reza Yazdani on Snyder bracket will be interesting. Similarly, I don't think Sadulev ever played against Gats, So Gats and Sad on same side of bracket is going to be interesting.

Edited by freestyle_fan

I know the most guys around here don't follow greco as much as Freestyle but please consider to look at Frank Stäbler when he will wrestle his matches at 67kg :)

He's the German equivalent to Borroughs (not as much Medals as Borroughs but I think you know what I mean), he won 2015, 2017 and 2018 World (66kg, 71kg and 72kg) Championsships and he is looking good in his old Weightclass 67kg with a win yesterday over Artem Sukov (Gold World Championship 67kg) at the UWW Grand Prix of Germany and he's aiming for his fourth title and for his first Olympic medal. He's a great rolemodel for any wrestler and his style is really fun to watch. 

I am really excited to see Baev wrestle at the worlds.  He can certainly get a medal and even gold.  He is inconsistent at times, but he seems to have picked it up and is in form right now.  Jamalov can kill it at 70 and is a big win for Baev.  

I believe Rashidov will be going to Nursultan because of Chakaev's lingering injury, and I am 80% sure Uguev gets gold again.

Nabiev at 79kg is an underdog - I don't think he is very good. 

On 8/1/2019 at 8:15 PM, freestyle_fan said:

Hi All,

I know we have 6 more weeks to go for 2019 World Championships, but why not share our thoughts on contenders, challengers and underdogs. I took a first stab at, this is just my opinion, your thoughts/comments are welcome!

Few Disclaimers before i start:

* I know that RUS team is still not finalized, they have 86kg rep being determined in Poland Open and for others they have special wrestle-off between European Champs vs Russian National Champ

* No decision yet made on Yianni vs Zain issue.

* We have wrestle-off planned for 17th August b/w Kyle Dake and Derienger for US 79kg spot

* My underdog picks more specific to winning GOLD.

57kg
Top Contender: Nurislam (Artas) SANAYEV 
Challengers: Zaur Uguev (RUS), Yuki Takahasi (JPN)
Under Dog: Daton Fix (USA)

61kg
Top Contender: YBR (Cuba)
Challengers: Magomedrasul IDRISOV
Under Dog: Tyler Graff (USD), Rahul Aware (IND)

65kg
Top Contenders: Bajrang (IND), Otoguro (JPN)
Challengers: Akhmad Chakaev/ Rashidov(RUS), Haji Aliyev (AZE)
Under Dog: Zain/Yianni

70kg
Top Contenders: David Baev(RUS), Adam Batirov (BRN)
Challengers: Zurabi Iakobishvli (GEO)
Under Dog: Kaipanov (KAZ)

74kg
Top Contender:  Sidakov(RUS)
Challengers: Frank Chamizo (ITA), JB (USA)
Under Dog: Yakup Gor/Soner Demirtas (TUR)

79kg
Top Contender: Kyle Dake (USA)
Challengers: Gadzhi (RUS), Hasanov (AZE)
Under Dog: Ali Shabanau(BLR)

86kg
Top Contender: Hassan Yazdani (IRI)
Challengers: Dauren Kurgliev(RUS), Boriz Makoev (SLV)
Under Dog: Fatih Erdin (TUR),Deepak Punia (IND)

92kg
Top Contenders: J'Den Cox
Challengers: Sharifov (AZE), RUS
Under Dog: Karimi (IRI)

97kg
Top Contender: Sadulaev (RUS)
Challengers: Snyder (USA), Aliaksandr Hushtyn(BLR)
Under Dog: Reza Yazdani (IRI)

125kg
Top Contender:  Geno Petriashivilli
Challengers: Taha Akgul, RUS
Under Dog: HADI (IRI)

You placed Sanaev before Uguev for some reason,  and are you aware that someone from Yakutia, named Tyutrin just teched Sanaev on Poland Open. 

44 minutes ago, spartak said:

You placed Sanaev before Uguev for some reason,  and are you aware that someone from Yakutia, named Tyutrin just teched Sanaev on Poland Open. 

Yes, I am aware..I followed all the results from Poland Open. But still, my pick in 57kg is Sanayaev!