AnklePicker

Worst practice partners

After seeing Teasdale’s pics of the back of his arm it got me thinking about guys who would absolutely suck to have as a practice partner. Yeah I’m looking at you Andrew Howe, Nick Simmons and all you lame leg riders. Desanto might be the top of the list.

Who you got?

You have a few different categories of worse here to choose from:

Worse because they absolutely won’t let you drill anything due to being so stiff, fall over to easily, or just approaching practice very slow/lazy.  And yes even at the college level I’m sure some people are still that way since they take the Allen Iverson vies of “practice.”

Worse in terms of being absolutely painful and relentless to face in live goes.  So you start hesitate too much on stuff or you spend most of the match getting pounded/grinder rather than getting moves in yourself.

Worse due to being such a unorthodox/funky even when they don’t necessarily have to that you wrestle into their style (but worse) in live goes.   Thus your technique and discipline goes out the window and the practice is a wash.  

Lots of ways to define someone as being a bad practice partner for you.  

45 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

You have a few different categories of worse here to choose from:

Worse because they absolutely won’t let you drill anything due to being so stiff, fall over to easily, or just approaching practice very slow/lazy.  And yes even at the college level I’m sure some people are still that way since they take the Allen Iverson vies of “practice.”

Worse in terms of being absolutely painful and relentless to face in live goes.  So you start hesitate too much on stuff or you spend most of the match getting pounded/grinder rather than getting moves in yourself.

Worse due to being such a unorthodox/funky even when they don’t necessarily have to that you wrestle into their style (but worse) in live goes.   Thus your technique and discipline goes out the window and the practice is a wash.  

Lots of ways to define someone as being a bad practice partner for you.  

I'll add a few more to this list... 

1) Bad drill partner guy (your 1st guy).  Either because he's too stiff, too lazy, too apathetic, or just too plain bad to know how do give you the right look.

2)The Jerk.  The guy that is absolutely brutal in live goes (similar to your 2nd guy).  He isn't just out there to win rounds or to try to get better, he wants to hurt guys--even the JV guys that are just there to drop a couple lb's and chop it up with the guys at the team food table on the weekend.  You'll catch this guy doing a lot of pointing at lesser teammates, and saying "you're goin' with me."  Side note--this guy's not actually that good, and probably tops out as a state alternate.  

3) Unorthodox/funky guy... exactly what you said. He might not be bad.  He might not be good. You never know, but you do know, wrestling him helps nobody.

4) All-out guy.  You don't really hate this guy, but you definitely hate wrestling this guy.  He only knows one gear, and to him, a coach calling out "collar-tie, elbow post to head-inside single" is just another whistle before his next live go.  Forget getting any sort of rhythm drilling takedowns with all-out guy, because the second your hand touches his leg, it's on.  

5) Fat guy.  Fat guy is another guy that you don't really dislike, but the more you encounter him the more frustrating it gets.  Every high school team has a few of these guys, and they're not necessarily heavies, although a lot of heavies are also fat guys.  This is the guy you get stuck with occasionally that's 15 - 30 pounds heavier than you, and he's awkward.  Fat guy is kind of like bad drill partner guy, except he tries, and he's heavy, and he might get you hurt.  

6) Talented lazy guy.  This is the guy that you don't like because he gets away with way too much.  He's probably pretty good.  He's probably placed at state.  And he's probably finding ways to skip the hard parts of practice.  He's in the training room getting taped, or riding the bike because he picked up a mysterious "injury," and he's never down to weight on time.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

On 8/2/2019 at 4:37 PM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

1) Bad drill partner guy (your 1st guy).  Either because he's too stiff, too lazy, too apathetic, or just too plain bad to know how do give you the right look.

2)The Jerk.  The guy that is absolutely brutal in live goes (similar to your 2nd guy).  He isn't just out there to win rounds or to try to get better, he wants to hurt guys--even the JV guys that are just there to drop a couple lb's and chop it up with the guys at the team food table on the weekend.  You'll catch this guy doing a lot of pointing at lesser teammates, and saying "you're goin' with me."  Side note--this guy's not actually that good, and probably tops out as a state alternate.  

3) Unorthodox/funky guy... exactly what you said. He might not be bad.  He might not be good. You never know, but you do know, wrestling him helps nobody.

4) All-out guy.  You don't really hate this guy, but you definitely hate wrestling this guy.  He only knows one gear, and to him, a coach calling out "collar-tie, elbow post to head-inside single" is just another whistle before his next live go.  Forget getting any sort of rhythm drilling takedowns with all-out guy, because the second your hand touches his leg, it's on.  

5) Fat guy.  Fat guy is another guy that you don't really dislike, but the more you encounter him the more frustrating it gets.  Every high school team has a few of these guys, and they're not necessarily heavies, although a lot of heavies are also fat guys.  This is the guy you get stuck with occasionally that's 15 - 30 pounds heavier than you, and he's awkward.  Fat guy is kind of like bad drill partner guy, except he tries, and he's heavy, and he might get you hurt.  

6) Talented lazy guy.  This is the guy that you don't like because he gets away with way too much.  He's probably pretty good.  He's probably placed at state.  And he's probably finding ways to skip the hard parts of practice.  He's in the training room getting taped, or riding the bike because he picked up a mysterious "injury," and he's never down to weight on time.  

This is probably a sub-category under unorthodox but I’d say guys with judo backgrounds. I used to practice with a few guys who had elite judo backgrounds and I stopped shooting any and all head outside shots in practice because of all their unorthodox hip tosses and neck wrenches.

Edited by MDogg

I remember reading an article (or watching a video) on Desanto after Drexel announced he wasn’t coming back. In it Desanto’s high school coach said he was so ruthless and brutal on his practice partners that it was a big issue that had to be managed by coaches.

7 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

7)  The stinker.  I know that wrestling is not the cleanest sport, but if you've ever been stuck with this guy then you know what I mean.

8)  The walking skin infection.  Whether it's ringworm, herp., impetigo, whatever.  He's probably had it, and you know that you're probably going to catch something now too.

Quick random list of guys I would not have wanted to wrestle with in practice:

Tom Brands, Terry Brands, Cary Kolat, Mike Sheets, Dave Schultz.

And Tab Thacker. 

Edited by KTG119

The guy who always injures everyone because of never really learning the proper technique.  Had a guy on my college team who was one of the relentless non stop guys who loved low singles but never learned to finish them correctly. Instead of trying to place his forehead on the inside of your kneecap to sit you down he jammed his shoulder into your shin and just tired to drive through every time. Felt like every time he shot  in, your knee would buckle.

Also the guy who always tries to only go live with people who are at weight classes lower then them...

On Monday, August 05, 2019 at 6:53 AM, wildcatfan1992 said:

The JV guy that waits to go with the varsity guy until the end of practice so he can go 100% while still fresh

The "old" guy that graduated 10 years ago that coach will bring in to go live with some of the guys.  Old man strength vs high school strength isn't very fun.

Our local high school does that all the time, but the coach does that on purpose to shake up practice so they aren't getting stale practicing each other.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:36 AM, AnklePicker said:

That top 8 is so true all of them!  The stinker one is funny.  Some dudes don’t necessarily stink either they just have a weird smell and they always have that same damn smell.   

Had a couple stinkers on my HS team. The one smelled like woodstove, not necessarily unpleasant but the smell was so powerful it got almost nauseating after a while. 

Second guy had a very strange, musky smell but I never figured out what it was until I went beaver trapping with a buddy...castoreum. 

I've got 2,both from my senior year in college.

First was the guy who tore the cartilage in my right me,by trying to get out 

of a figure 4,by pulling my leg over his head.

Thanks to cortisone and therapy,I was able to get back on the mat.

Then another guy on the team tries an illegal throw and separates my

shoulder,two weeks before the NCAA's.

There went any shot of ever being an AA

I was all-out guy one time. I had missed morning lift due to a make-up exam. An assistant started jawing at me as soon as I walked in the room for our afternoon workout. He wouldn't stop dogging me throughout warm-ups and into drilling. I was getting more and more pissed the more he got on me. I won't repeat what he was saying but it really lit a fire under me that day. It was time to go live and I found another gear and just beat the absolute breaks off my partner, to the point where he was on the verge of tears. After conditioning I sat in the shower on a stool and cried for about five minutes. I realized if that what it takes to win I wouldn't be able to sustain it. Two weeks later I torn my ACL and achilles and was done for good.

Worst practice partner, farm boy, 190 lber,  Samson strength, but slow, awkward...Us lighter weight guys would try to take him down...single, double leg, Fireman's? forget it.  

Sometimes an arm drag or duck under would get you behind him, but then it was almost impossible to break him down to the mat.....even on that rare occasion when you managed to buckle his knee and get him off balance, just as he was falling to the mat like a redwood tree, he'd reach around and get the last knuckle of a finger on your hip or behind a knee, and drag you around in front  and fall on you...moves 95% completed were never scores, he could still stop you with pure power.  

He smelled just like horse sweat, same dna found in Percheron sweat glands, and 10 times normal human strength, like a primate.  If you started on top, it was like wrestling a concrete park bench.  He loved being on the bottom, that was his nap time, he never scored a point in his life from the bottom except when someone kicked him loose for an escape.  If you were on bottom, you could explode at the speed of light and he'd just hold onto an ankle or wrist or elbow, with one hand, like a six-inch vise...and scratch his Neanderthal eyebrow or hairy shoulder with his other hand while he watched your struggle to get free.

Neanderthal-man-010.jpg?width=620&qualit