AnklePicker

Worst practice partners

On 8/3/2019 at 12:46 AM, KCMO2 said:

7)  The stinker.  I know that wrestling is not the cleanest sport, but if you've ever been stuck with this guy then you know what I mean.

8)  The walking skin infection.  Whether it's ringworm, herp., impetigo, whatever.  He's probably had it, and you know that you're probably going to catch something now too.

9)  The acne guy.  This guy is covered in acne from his forehead to his waist and has a 4 o'clock shadow because he can't shave the minefield which is his face. (Similar to, 'The walking skin infection.') All colors and sizes of acne.  You never wanted to tie up with this guy.  You had nightmares about going, forehead to forehead with him.  Sometimes he would go shirtless and you didn't want to be laying your ear or your chin on his back in the top/bottom position.  

*Shivers just remembering.*

3 hours ago, Mphillips said:

9)  The acne guy.  This guy is covered in acne from his forehead to his waist and has a 4 o'clock shadow because he can't shave the minefield which is his face. (Similar to, 'The walking skin infection.') All colors and sizes of acne.  You never wanted to tie up with this guy.  You had nightmares about going, forehead to forehead with him.  Sometimes he would go shirtless and you didn't want to be laying your ear or your chin on his back in the top/bottom position.  

*Shivers just remembering.*

10) The bleeder. Spends as much time trying to stop nosebleeds as he does actually practicing. Usually ends up shooting the bloody plug out of his nose several times during practice, either on you or on the ground for you to roll around on and find later.

11) The weight cutter. Wears anywhere from 2 to 5 layers of sweats / clothing, usually with vinyls underneath. Not a bad guy to wrestle with actually because of all the nice padding. Kind of like wrestling Randy from A Christmas Story when their mom suits them up to play out in the cold. This guy is usually about as miserable as Randy was in that scene too. If he's not wrestling, he's either riding the bike or curled up between a rolled up mat and a padded wall, softly crying. 

On 8/5/2019 at 8:53 AM, wildcatfan1992 said:

The "old" guy that graduated 10 years ago that coach will bring in to go live with some of the guys.  Old man strength vs high school strength isn't very fun.

I remember three types of Old Guy. Only one of them was really bad, and one of them was really good. 

One was there objectively to wrestle and generally kick your ass. He wasn't necessarily a good wrestler but would give you an interesting look with the man strength backing up his unusual, perhaps outdated style.

Second was there to please his sadism. He would claim to be "teaching" pressure points, etc., but he really just showed up to hurt and dominate people. He would leave thinking that the younger generation was weaker than his, conflating his decade of man strength with some sort of nostalgia for his glory days. All it took was for one tough kid to score on him, and he'd never come back!

Third was someone who wished he was a coach but didn't have time to commit. He was like the first in that he was objective and not necessarily a great wrestler, but he would see the opportunity to teach and used his seniority to interrupt your bad habits and talk you through it. It was still going to be a tough day with this Old Guy, but you weren't going to get hurt...And you never knew if you scored on him whether it was legit or just a teaching moment, because it didn't hurt his pride. 

Fun topic. Here are two more. 

The spastic guy. He has a lot of potential but live goes with him are like wrestling a wind mill. You are getting whacked in the head and then slapped on your thigh and then he head butts you a few thousand times. 

The insecure guy. He’s maybe a walk on or one of the less heralded guys. If he takes you down he’s going to wear a **** eating grin for the rest of practice and then want to discuss it with you after practice and want assurance that you were giving it your all and that it was a “real” takedown 

On my high school team it was the cranky weight cutter.  

One day he was bundled in so many layers that he could barely move.  I was trying to open him up with a cross face from the top position when he snapped and bit me in the arm.  

14 hours ago, Rhackler said:

On my high school team it was the cranky weight cutter.  

One day he was bundled in so many layers that he could barely move.  I was trying to open him up with a cross face from the top position when he snapped and bit me in the arm.  

Sounds like good practice defensive bottom position to me.  I'm betting you didn't cross-face him again. 

Edited by KCMO2

16 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

I'm betting you didn't cross-face him again. 

...just wait till it's your turn to wear 4 layers of sweats and feed him another one...he ain't chewing through that!