Sign in to follow this  
buckeyehomer

Yianni Oly Redshirt done deal

Damn.

All these teams knew 2019-20 was going to be their first good shots at dethroning Penn State.

Iowa, Oklahoma State, Michigan, Cornell, NC State, etc. At least 2 of those 5 are losing multiple starters to Oly-shirt.

2 hours ago, buckeyehomer said:

According to Andy Hamilton on Twitter. Also said Darmstadt might go 184...

Darmstadt At 184?!? How tall is he...6’4 or 6’5”? He’d have to be the tallest 184 pounder in NCAA history. I wonder why he’d do that? To prep his body for going 86k at Olympic trials right after the season ends? Maybe to give Honis 197 so he takes his name out of the transfer portal?

1 hour ago, MDogg said:

Darmstadt At 184?!? How tall is he...6’4 or 6’5”? He’d have to be the tallest 184 pounder in NCAA history. I wonder why he’d do that? To prep his body for going 86k at Olympic trials right after the season ends? Maybe to give Honis 197 so he takes his name out of the transfer portal?

Honis graduated so he has no eligibility left for the Ivy League, which doesn't allow grad students to compete. There's already another thread on this but he enrolled in grad school at Syracuse and is a walk-on to the football team at TE.

44 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

If Darmstadt is going 184, where’s Dean headed? Olympic redshirt? 174?? I can’t see him at 197. 

Is he Olympic Redshirt eligible?   I don’t have the effort to look it up but they tightened the criteria compared to several years back where almost anyone could. 

10 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Is he Olympic Redshirt eligible?   I don’t have the effort to look it up but they tightened the criteria compared to several years back where almost anyone could. 

I think someone clarified that the top 3 finishers at each NCAA weight in 2019 were eligible. 

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

I think someone clarified that the top 3 finishers at each NCAA weight in 2019 were eligible. 

he didn't wrestle in 2019 and finished in 6th in 2018 and didn't wrestle at juniors, so i don't think Darmstadt is olympic redshirt eligible.

49 minutes ago, ugarte said:

he didn't wrestle in 2019 and finished in 6th in 2018 and didn't wrestle at juniors, so i don't think Darmstadt is olympic redshirt eligible.

They're talking about Dean taking the shirt, not Ben D. and yes Dean is eligible.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:54 PM, MDogg said:

Darmstadt At 184?!? How tall is he...6’4 or 6’5”? He’d have to be the tallest 184 pounder in NCAA history. I wonder why he’d do that? 

Mitch Clark maybe same height wrestling at 177 under the old weigh-in rules. Mark Branch same era at 167 might have been in that height range too. 

On 8/3/2019 at 9:02 PM, nhs67 said:

Guys.

Dean. Is he for sure shirting?

Dean might go 197. He is eligible for an Olympic though. 

The only reason for him to do this would be to preserve a year for the team and/or if he wants a year off to focus on wrestling. 

He isn't reasonably going to make the Olympic team. I'm not even sure what style he would go for. 

It is worth noting that you are not allowed to enroll in classes during an Olympic redshirt year, so it has a significant impact on guys. They can't take some classes to help make their future years a bit lighting, like during a traditional redshirt year. 

52 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

2021 and 2022 looking even better.   Current studs + Cardenas, Ramirez, Foca, etc.  

Plus if they punt this year they can get an extra year out of Vito, Yianni (confirmed) and Dean. 

They will have to lose a year from Darmstadt, plus senior former AA at 174, and Chaz Tucker's last year. 

in 2020-2021 they will be extremely strong

in 2021-2022, Vito, Yianni, and Darmstadt may be seniors and Dean will have graduated (unless he takes a shirt this year). 

Maybe they decided to pause the 2020 load up (as has been the plan for a few years) and make the run in 2021/22? It would make sense to shirt everyone they can then.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Plus if they punt this year they can get an extra year out of Vito, Yianni (confirmed) and Dean. 

They will have to lose a year from Darmstadt, plus senior former AA at 174, and Chaz Tucker's last year. 

in 2020-2021 they will be extremely strong

in 2021-2022, Vito, Yianni, and Darmstadt may be seniors and Dean will have graduated (unless he takes a shirt this year). 

Maybe they decided to pause the 2020 load up (as has been the plan for a few years) and make the run in 2021/22? It would make sense to shirt everyone they can then.

If they can somehow get Dean to defer a year of eligibility (injury or somehow Oly RS) Cornell is going to absolutely be a contender in 2022. Yianni, Darmstadt and Vito should be bonus point monsters and plus Dean. Add in the crop of young studs (Saunders, Foca, Ramirez, Cardenas) and if you get a few AA’s out of them the math makes them as much of a contender as anyone else. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Koll do whatever he can to get Dean into the 2022 lineup and go all in on the team title. He should 55 or 56 in 2022 and that could be a hell of a way to go out with a bang.

Please don’t rain on my parade by asking me how they’re going to fit all those upper weights into their lineup. Things start to break down somewhat if I assume Darmstadt has to bump to heavy and deal with how absurdly stacked heavyweight will be in 2021 and 2022. 

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Dean might go 197. He is eligible for an Olympic though. 

The only reason for him to do this would be to preserve a year for the team and/or if he wants a year off to focus on wrestling. 

He isn't reasonably going to make the Olympic team. I'm not even sure what style he would go for. 

It is worth noting that you are not allowed to enroll in classes during an Olympic redshirt year, so it has a significant impact on guys. They can't take some classes to help make their future years a bit lighting, like during a traditional redshirt year. 

Alot of guys take the shirt if eligible knowing their chances of making the team are slim to none, but it is a chance as you said to focus on wrestling and get some really good training throughout the year that you otherwise wouldn't get.

30 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Alot of guys take the shirt if eligible knowing their chances of making the team are slim to none, but it is a chance as you said to focus on wrestling and get some really good training throughout the year that you otherwise wouldn't get.

For sure. That is what I said I think. Or at least what I meant to say. 

Even moreso because it is Cornell, so this is your best shot at a redshirt