Fletcher

Colby Covington in college?

Now famous/infamous in the UFC. I vaguely remember this name from a few years ago in college wrestling - that he was a junior college champ and transferred to Iowa. Does anyone here remember what he was like as a college wrestler? Anything about his style back then that would have predicted future success in the UFC? 

I'm always fascinated when a guy who was good but not great in college (Matt Hughes, Jon Jones) ends up as a UFC star and outperforms guys with multiple NCAA titles. I know - different sport, striking, etc., etc. - but still fascinating nonetheless.

I remember watching a couple of videos of him in 2010-2011 and being impressed with him enough that when the brackets came out that year and he was ranked 4th, I had him making the finals in an upset. I wasn't going on much evidence with that pick, think it was his pace even back then that made me think he could make the finals. whatever that's worth.

I watched the fight with Lawler last night and Colby has the pace of a well conditioned featherweight, really impressive.

Plus I think he was 2-1 versus Nick Amuchastegui(2x runner up)

Edited by VND
forgot to include info

Oregon state champ 

Greco and freestyle Fargo AA 

juco champ 

redshirted at Iowa and had a good season

transferred to OSU 

seeded 8th went 2-2

seeded 4th finished 5th. Lost to Helmich and Lewnes 

has always been a tough, well conditioned wrestler with a chip on his shoulder. Loved and still love watching him. 

16 minutes ago, Mpchillin said:

I was unaware he shot himself. 

"I believe he was dismissed from Iowa after a DUI and eluding police."

You believe you knew this nugget, but didn't know Stoll shot himself?  Come on...

1 minute ago, Mphillips said:

"I believe he was dismissed from Iowa after a DUI and eluding police."

You believe you knew this nugget, but didn't know Stoll shot himself?  Come on...

It’s probably because he didn’t actually shoot himself. He was shot by another person, but didn’t shoot himself. 

5 minutes ago, Mpchillin said:

It’s probably because he didn’t actually shoot himself. He was shot by another person, but didn’t shoot himself. 

Oh that's the reason?  I was reporting what Stoll said.  I'm familiar with the actual outcome.  LOL.

5 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Kind of surprising he couldn't get into ASU.  With some of the fork and spoon operators who have been admitted to school there that's kind of puzzling since Covington doesn't seem like a stupid guy.  

Went to Iowa at the same time as him and he partied at a house I also frequented. He is not a smart man. Good fighter, decent promoter. Not going to wow you with his intelligence. At all.

1 hour ago, wrestlingphish said:

Went to Iowa at the same time as him and he partied at a house I also frequented. He is not a smart man. Good fighter, decent promoter. Not going to wow you with his intelligence. At all.

Comparatively anyway.  I knew a guy who was bordering on being functionally illiterate who managed to get accepted there.  Covington can at least read I'm assuming.  

10 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

He wrestled freshman year at Iowa Central. Transferred to Iowa where he redshirted. Wrestled for part of sophomore year at Iowa. Then transferred to Oregon State where he wrestled two years. 

Am I getting this right? 

here's the Oregon St bio heading into his senior year

https://osubeavers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1640