https://www.trackwrestling.com/PortalPlayer.jsp?TIM=1564944915915&twSessionId=hgmwkqrjec&videoId=1675851132

I really don't understand why they would lay out the mats the way they are saying. I get opening it up to more people to watch, but doesn't seem like the best way to do it. I think using half the stadium and then bring in seat on the field is the best way to have it. 

3 hours ago, Michigan wrestling said:

https://www.trackwrestling.com/PortalPlayer.jsp?TIM=1564944915915&twSessionId=hgmwkqrjec&videoId=1675851132

I think using half the stadium and then bring in seat on the field is the best way to have it. 

Mr. Holman pointed out why the half-stadium aspect wouldn't work. It would provide approximately the same number of lower bowl seats as an arena and the seating would only go upwards from that angle and not be expandable beyond 24,000.

can anyone how a diagram or rough map of what a "diamond" arrangement would look like on the field? I'm having trouble picturing it. 

I'm just curious, and don't expect to have a strong opinion about how the set up should be. no matter what there are going to be drawbacks. I'm also glad that the NCAA is trying out different ideas as far as venues and locations and plans to continue that with the next bidding cycle. 

7 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Draw yourself a quarter of a chess board (4x4)...the squares that are edges, but not corners, would have mats on them.

[  ]  [X]  [X]  [  ]

[X]  [  ]  [  ]  [X]

[X]  [  ]  [  ]  [X]

[  ]  [X]  [X]  [  ]

So the ones marked with a X are where the mats are?

35 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

[  ]  [X]  [X]  [  ]

[X]  [  ]  [  ]  [X]

[X]  [  ]  [  ]  [X]

[  ]  [X]  [X]  [  ]

So the ones marked with a X are where the mats are?

Mats are 42 feet so 14 yards so thats 56 yards with tables 60. So mats from 20 yard line to 20 yard line 

1 minute ago, GockeS said:

he talks about an opportunity for better seats... 15000 100 level seats

but with the distance, you only have good seats for the 2 mats in front of you

Great point. Don't understand why they can't bring in seats that would be in the field?? Those would be premium seats. 

Very good coverage of the event sent directly to my Man Cave has come a long way in recent years. Stocked fridge with no waiting line, clean bathroom with no drunk Big 10 fans, control over the person in the much. much cheaper seat next to me........ maybe even get lucky on the 2nd floor after the evening rounds. Why fly to one of the coldest places in the USA to drop some significant bucks for mystery seating?

Very good coverage of the event sent directly to my Man Cave has come a long way in recent years. Stocked fridge with no waiting line, clean bathroom with no drunk Big 10 fans, control over the person in the much. much cheaper seat next to me........ maybe even get lucky on the 2nd floor after the evening rounds. Why fly to one of the coldest places in the USA to drop some significant bucks for mystery seating?

Colder in Pittsburgh, Cleveland and 2 of the 3 days in St. Louis the last three years of Nationals. It’s brutally cold in January and February here. In Mid-March, it’s as temperate as most of the northern half of the country.

Hard to argue with the other parts, though!

8 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

You got some kinda problem with me, buddy!?

Seriously though, I am a little worried about this year.  At the very least, I'd like to know if the tickets I have are any good.  

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

Who cares if there are 15,000 lower level seats if those seats are over 100 yards away from the action?

Correct, I would rather be a little farther away from all 8 mats, then close to 2 mats and really far away from the other 6 mats. Is it so they can charge more for the 100 level seats??!! 

It's tough to beat working from home that weekend BUT it's never as fun as the electricity of being there in person when the entire arena is watching the same match, talking about the same rumor, following the same underdog mowing down the field. It all depends on how you want to use those PTO days each year

23 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

Leave the cats alone!

Rob Koll made an excellent observation stating that he fears that the early rounds will lack attendance because the tickets will be purchased last minute, or per session (since there is no risk of selling out the event). Fans who fear not getting a ticket, purchase the full well in advance and tend to use the capacity of their pass, by attending. The availability creates a problem, albeit solvable.

The other note I heard was that they are thinking about a diamond configuration that can increase the number of 100 level style seating at a close proximity to the mats, and particularly the championship mats.

Edited by skikayaker

I guess I am in the minority as I am looking forward to seeing it in a Football stadium.  I use to go to the Final 4 in Bball(before kids could afford both) and remember the pumpkin crowd saying the same thing about the huge arenas.  Bball switched in the late 80's early 90's to Stadiums only.  The atmosphere was still great, sight lines of course not as good but still enjoyable.  And I went to Minn in 1992 when they had the Final 4 and the weather was fine(stood in line to get in some bars and was not as cold as some the wrestling sites lately).

Hey if it does not work out, NCAA can switch back to smaller arenas but if they sell 40K plus tickets, it might be in stadium venues moving forward.  Already have my flights and rooms and my group of 8 are ready for Minn!

I watched that video and wanted to upchuck.  Complete nonsense.  

Synopsis: 

• We've sold the tickets, we have no idea what we are doing. 
  • We didn't even go to the stadium until after we accepted the money. 
  • We expect to generate a boatload of dollars, eh eh I mean new fans. 
  • The seating charts we showed you at Pittsburgh - that was just a come-on to get you to sign-up
  • We've made little polyethylene mats  - we'll figure something out that maximizes our dollars,  eh eh I mean fan satisfaction. 
  • We have an unquenchable thirst for dollars - fans be damned. 
  • We hear there is a stadium in Siberia that seats 500,000.  Hopefully they will bid next round. 

I have 2 in Section 130 that I would gladly let go for face value.  I don't really want to take a bath on the flights, but this is going to be the clusstrrffkkk of all time.