• Kaid Brock (OSU)
    • Mitch McKee (Minnesota)
    • Grant Leeth (Missouri)
    • Chad Red (nebraska)
    • Sa'derian Perry (ODU)
    • Other (non freshman)
    • Freshman (Redshirt or True)

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Why are people picking Nick Lee over Dom Demas when Demas beat Lee head to head at NCAAs last year?

Because a lot of people seem to think that Demas has a unique style and somewhat limited arsenal that won’t be nearly as effective once he’s thoroughly scouted. That’s not necessarily my opinion, just what a lot of people seem to be saying these days.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Why are people picking Nick Lee over Dom Demas when Demas beat Lee head to head at NCAAs last year?

Best guess is lee is far more consistent. Lee also takes way fewer risks (he takes risks, but Demas is crazy). I think head to head Demas is likely to win, but Demas is also more likely to take a random loss than Lee 

48 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Best guess is lee is far more consistent. Lee also takes way fewer risks (he takes risks, but Demas is crazy). I think head to head Demas is likely to win, but Demas is also more likely to take a random loss than Lee 

Also because Penn State (half sarcasm)

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

If you go rewatch Demas vs. Lee from last season's NCAA Tournament, Dom Demas got some inside trips (also a nice slide by) and got out to a big lead. Then Lee's pace got to him and he started to tire. Lee brought the score to within 1 TD at 11-9 and Lee sort of slipped on his own slide by attempt and Demas turned that into a TD of his own for the 13-9 final score. Lee doesn't need much of an adjustment to turn that match around. 

45 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

If you go rewatch Demas vs. Lee from last season's NCAA Tournament, Dom Demas got some inside trips (also a nice slide by) and got out to a big lead. Then Lee's pace got to him and he started to tire. Lee brought the score to within 1 TD at 11-9 and Lee sort of slipped on his own slide by attempt and Demas turned that into a TD of his own for the 13-9 final score. Lee doesn't need much of an adjustment to turn that match around. 

Agreed fully, said the pretty much exact same thing after the match to an Indiana fan who follows the Lee's closely.  If they were to meet up again I would pick Lee in this one.

Lee is consistent which is a good and bad thing.  I haven't really seen him improve from his freshman season.  Finished 5th then, 5th this past season and I would expect him to finish 4th or 5th this season.  My one knock on him is he is an awful scrambler.  See his first match against Tristan Moran where Moran turned 4 or 5 scrambles off Lee's shot into a TD.  It seems Lee loses 75% of his scrambles.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Agreed. Demas is just coming into his own, so i expect him to jump levels again, but Lee could too given his training partners. 

I wouldn't be confident picking either one head to head. I need to see them wrestle this season before making a pick

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Lee is consistent which is a good and bad thing.  I haven't really seen him improve from his freshman season.  Finished 5th then, 5th this past season and I would expect him to finish 4th or 5th this season.  My one knock on him is he is an awful scrambler.  See his first match against Tristan Moran where Moran turned 4 or 5 scrambles off Lee's shot into a TD.  It seems Lee loses 75% of his scrambles.

He gassed against Moran badly. Credit to Moran, but Lee avenged that and badly at Big 10s (11-3). 

Lee finished 5th last year. He lost to McKenna and Demas at NCAAs, both in highly competitive markets. Eierman and Yianni both would be favorites over him, but neither is wrestling. 

Lee will start the season as #2 behind Demas. He has wins over 3 of the returning AAs (McKee, Red, Perry) along with Murin. I just don't see anyone who would be a favorite over him next year besides Demas. Leeth, Wilson and Brock are on his level I believe, but for right now he is a favorite over them too. 

I think Lee placing top 3 is totally reasonable, and picking him to win a title this year makes sense too. This is the only shot he has, assuming Yianni and Eierman come back to 141 next year. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

After you wrestle someone and lose you pick up your game. I saw the match and Nick made the same errors repeatedly. Doubt this happens again.

I also expect Demas to know this and add to his game.

26 minutes ago, dwkeller said:

After you wrestle someone and lose you pick up your game. I saw the match and Nick made the same errors repeatedly. Doubt this happens again.

I also expect Demas to know this and add to his game.

Nick wrestled a little too upright. That plays right into Demas' inside trip game. I think that gets fixed. The other thing is the gas tank. Demas will need to improve because Nick's tank is huge. 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Nick wrestled a little too upright. That plays right into Demas' inside trip game. I think that gets fixed. The other thing is the gas tank. Demas will need to improve because Nick's tank is huge. 

Yeah it was weird. Nick's stance is normally lower but against Demas it wasn't. I wonder what Demas was doing to cause this, if anything.

The only guy who can beat Demas upright is Eierman. I don't even think Yianni would end up winning that position most of the time vs Demas. He would however get out of the position and take Demas down...

On 8/6/2019 at 11:59 AM, Housebuye said:

Spot on. When Demas is on he's really on, but he was very inconsistent last year. Hth I think it's a horrible match up for Lee who gives Demas a lot of opportunities to mix it up, but I think there are other guys at the weight that can slow him down and knock him off, especially if he's not firing on all cylinders like much of last season. I'd like to see some consistency before I pick him to run through a full bracket.

30 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Remember reading somewhere that Pletcher wants to move up, if that happens I think he takes it.

That's a good pick. I think if Hayes gets down comfortably, he could take it as well. Desanto could be a wildcard if he comes up too.